Group complains about Bono's "fucking" comment - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2003, 07:52 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Group complains about Bono's "fucking" comment

There's a small story in the paper this morning titled "Oh, Bono!" It says a group called Parents' TV Association or something is really complaining to NBC about letting Bono's "fucking brilliant" comment come through unedited. They say the censors should have been more alert. I personally think this is ridiculous, because it's not like everyone, even kids (especially those old enough to want to watch the Golden Globes at 9-10 at night) hasn't heard it before. On my street, kids too young for school blurt it out at each other. I just think it's dumb to make a fuss over it, but I don't like Bono's name being involved in any controversy. Still I don't think anyone who knows Bono is shocked or even cares, not even parents of young kids. Any opinions on this fucking controversy?

Old 01-22-2003, 08:24 AM   #2
DML
War Child

Re: Group complains about Bono's "fucking" comment

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
There's a small story in the paper this morning titled "Oh, Bono!" It says a group called Parents' TV Association or something is really complaining to NBC about letting Bono's "fucking brilliant" comment come through unedited. They say the censors should have been more alert. I personally think this is ridiculous, because it's not like everyone, even kids (especially those old enough to want to watch the Golden Globes at 9-10 at night) hasn't heard it before. On my street, kids too young for school blurt it out at each other. I just think it's dumb to make a fuss over it, but I don't like Bono's name being involved in any controversy. Still I don't think anyone who knows Bono is shocked or even cares, not even parents of young kids. Any opinions on this fucking controversy?

My mother complained about it. And this is coming from the woman whose every other word from her mouth is the f-word. Go figure.

Old 01-22-2003, 08:39 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't see what the big deal is. It wasn't blatantly noticeable or anything!
Old 01-22-2003, 08:53 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:11 AM
Thats great, Im amused to see it honestly. I guess even in your 40's.......you are still rock and roll Mr. Hewson.....

Old 01-22-2003, 09:04 AM   #5
Babyface

Local Time: 08:11 AM
U2Kitten-- Would you mind posting a link to the newspaper article or telling us which newspaper it is from. I would be interested in reading it.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:19 AM   #6
Babyface

This is really fucking brilliant........

PTC CONDEMNS NBC

Network Fails to Bleep F-Word During Golden Globes

Los Angeles, CA---Today the Parents Television Council, a non-profit, non-partisan entertainment watchdog group based in Los Angeles, denounced NBC for failing to mute the “F-word” from last night’s broadcast of the Golden Globe Awards. Bono, the lead singer of U2 said the word while accepting a Golden Globe for Best Original Song: "The Hands That Built America" from Gangs of New York. Networks routinely broadcast live shows through a delay system that allows for the removal of inappropriate material.

“The broadcast of the Golden Globe Awards turned out to be another sad addition to a long list of examples of network irresponsibility that sacrifices family viewing for raunchy programming,” said Brent Bozell, President of the Parents Television Council. “One can only assume that NBC intended to broadcast a live, uncut awards show to give the program an edge but they clearly crossed the line while trying to score higher ratings,” Bozell added.

In what appears to be a disturbing trend, the recent American Music Awards were also filled with vulgar language and behavior. Patricia Heaton, co-star of Everybody Loves Raymond, walked out of the ceremonies in protest of the crude content.

“Patricia Heaton made the right call when she walked out on the AMA. We are witnessing an alarming trend in live programming. There is no reason for an awards show that is broadcast on network television at 8:00 pm to contain references to women’s breasts, three-way sex and highly inappropriate language,” continued Bozell.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:09 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks Chris, my paper only had the first paragraph! That's fucking hilarious!
Old 01-22-2003, 10:45 AM   #8
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by u2chris

In what appears to be a disturbing trend, the recent American Music Awards were also filled with vulgar language and behavior. Patricia Heaton, co-star of Everybody Loves Raymond, walked out of the ceremonies in protest of the crude content.

More fucking power to ya...

Sheesh...if you really want something to protest or be upset about, I can think of a lot more serious things besides people using vulgar language.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 01-22-2003, 11:09 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
gimme a fucking break
Old 01-22-2003, 11:16 AM   #10
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 12:11 AM
what the fuck? i've heard worse on TV

it was a man's honest expression of happiness, what's the big deal?

fucking prudes
Old 01-22-2003, 11:20 AM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Ah Mr. Brent Bozell strikes again. This is the same guy who tried to shut down Vince McMahon and the then WWF over television content, blaiming pro-wrestling for the murder of a little girl by her 12 year old, mentaly-handicapped brother. The defense's blaim pro-wrestling defense was thrown out in court, Vince sued Bozell for millions of dollars and a written appology to the WWF and all it's fans, McMahon won, and Bozell was forced to post a formal appology on the wwf's web page. The guy jumps from cause to cause, blaiming television for the downfall of society, Columbine & other school shootings, 9/11, tornados, hurricanes, the Kennedy Assasination, Bill Buckner's Game 6 error, and I believe AIDS. He's nothing more than a wanker with too much time on his hands who likes to blaim the media for the downfalls of parents. Fuck him.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:25 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

these are also the parents who let their kids watch south park and see nothing wrong. they're a bunch of fucking hypocrites.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:31 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

*eric cartman voice*:

"what's the big fucking deal? it doesn't hurt anybody....fuckidy fuck fuck fuck....see?"
Old 01-22-2003, 11:55 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

I think that they are making too much out of this. Actually he didn't say it that loud, and with the audience clapping and cheering I also had a time with Bono saying it.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:03 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie
I don't see what the big deal is. It wasn't blatantly noticeable or anything!
Thats why i dont get it too. I mean come on it was just one word it wasnt like he was up there and everyother word out of his mouth was the f word or any other "bad" word.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:08 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Does this guy have nothing fucking better to do.

What about the network news that shows the human wreakage from bomb blasts, right in the middle of family dinner time.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:14 PM   #17
Acrobat

I doubt young kids were watching the Golden Globes anyways, I don't think it would interest them (at least mine had no interest, not to mention, they were in bed). They should be looking at the crap that MTV shows, which IMO, is more disturbing than someone saying the "F" word.

Friends is on at 8:00 pm, and sometimes my nine year old watches it with me. There have been many occasions that after watching it with her, a sexual comment will come on and I think, what am I doing, she shouldn't be listening to this. That bothers me more than having her hear swearing.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:40 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

it would have been OK (ok meaning no one would have made a big deal about it) had it been eminem. although if he had won he wouldn't have been there, right?
Old 01-22-2003, 12:59 PM   #19
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
whoopee fucking shit

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 01-22-2003, 02:38 PM   #20
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:11 AM
Bono shouldn't have said it
they shouldn't make a big deal about it

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa