Group complains about Bono's "fucking" comment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just find it extemely funny that such a tiny thing spawned this many posts ;) I think I can sum up the sentiment here as "quit wasting our time with your unending complaints over trivial things which should be time spent on things far more important". I know I could care less about it if people didn't put foolish things as priorities over say the brutal violence that keeps croping up in the media. I'd be more worried about that than a single barely heard expletive. Rule of thumb concerned parents: if you are concerned make sure you spend time with your kids so they won't watch it. THE TV IS NOT A BABYSITTER! But the thing that's worse is that they are moaning about the TV when much more important parental issues get ignored, like gee.... unequal acess to education, child poverty, child abuse, unequal acess to medical care.... Nope TV is a whole fucking lot more important than those things.

Last edited:
Hell, don't these people have something better to fight than a rock star saying "Fuck" on late-night TV??? Here's a list of things they SHOULD be fucking fighting.

- Debt, AIDS, Trade for Africa (;))(http://www.datadata.org)
- Landmines
- Child poverty
- Racism

Among other things. Fuck the PTC.

u2chris said:
In what appears to be a disturbing trend, the recent American Music Awards were also filled with vulgar language and behavior. Patricia Heaton, co-star of Everybody Loves Raymond, walked out of the ceremonies in protest of the crude content.
what was she even doing there in the first place? it was a music award show, and she's an actress. why do i think she didn't even have any interest in the awards show anyway?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
It's not like it's the first time he's slipped an F-bomb on a nationaly televised awards show. I believe he did so when he accepted Zooropa's Grammy award
he did. i remember watching that, it was probably the first grammy awards show i'd ever seen. i was 10 years old at the time and a U2 fan. i didn't think "oh no he said a bad word mommy mommy i'm scared and offended what bad language." jesus christ, i didn't think anything of it. i'd already heard my dad say it thousands of times before so it wasn't a shocker to hear some guy say fuck.

i think these people complaining about this have way too much time on their hands. for a country with so many freedoms, we sure are uptight as to how much sex and cussing we'll show on television and in the movies, even if a child has no interest in it. i've watched R movies since, i can't even remember. my now 15 year old cousin was watching terminator 2, when it was first released on video. she was like 6 or 7. her parents were in the room, as were mine, and they didn't care. this stuff is just a fact of life and it's better to be exposed to it at home than to hear this stuff for the first time in school, say "fuck" to a teacher, and get suspended. at least parents can say what those deadly words are, why they shouldn't use them, and perhaps even what they mean. if they're offended because their 8 year old who wasn't even watching the show in the first place may have heard some vulgar word IF they had been watching, but weren't, it's the truest sign of hypocrisy and should tell their husband to watch their language (i've never encountered a father who DIDN'T cuss, lol) instead.

fuck you all, leave bono the fuck alone he can say whatever fucking word he wants fuck you

mlojewski said:
fuck you all, leave bono the fuck alone he can say whatever fucking word he wants fuck you

I hope you noticed that we are ragging on the people complaining about Bono, not Bono. He's the fucking coolest!

Ugh, I read so much about the PTC to know that they're real horrible people themselves. Especially the guy who founded the PTC.

The PTC needs to get their heads out of their asses and get their asses out of the 1950's.

david said:
Ugh, I read so much about the PTC to know that they're real horrible people themselves. Especially the guy who founded the PTC.

The PTC needs to get their heads out of their asses and get their asses out of the 1950's.
:yes: whatever happened to freedom of speech? if someone wants to cuss on television, they should be able to. it shouldn't have to be up to the networks to parent their children and say, "okay bobby, now to make sure you don't hear this word you've already heard a thousand times, we'll bleep it out. plus, you won't be able to understand the sentence at all!!"

has anyone seen the video for stan? the bleeps are overboard, to the point where most of it is bleeped out at times. they bleeped out stan saying "we can be together too." so i guess homosexuality is something kids shouldn't hear about?

when the song bitch was popular, and it was in the top five, my local newspaper showed it as "b***h - meredith brooks." i was so disappointed in the newspaper after that. you can't say bitch in the paper now?

KhanadaRhodes said:

has anyone seen the video for stan? the bleeps are overboard, to the point where most of it is bleeped out at times. they bleeped out stan saying "we can be together too." so i guess homosexuality is something kids shouldn't hear about?

I just watched this video online the other day, and I noticed that too...it struck me as odd. No wonder homosexuals aren't accepted by so many people. It's seen as being something that needs to be censored.

Last edited:
Who cares? It's just a word.....

I hate award shows and I only watched it because Bono :bono: and my honey, the perfectly gorgeous Mr Edge :edge: were going to be on and I turned it off the second it was over with.... I thought the Fuck comment livened things up a bit! :sexywink:

Someone from Ireland or Europe can respond to this....a few years ago, the morning radio show I listen to was interviewing Liam Neeson for his Star Wars role and they played an off air question he asked after the interview was over, something to the affect of "can I say fuck on the radio in America because I know I can't say it on TV." So does that mean it's ok to say it on TV in Ireland? :confused: :hmm:

I didn't even know Bono was there until he introduced the "clip" from Gangs. I told my 5-yr-old, "there's Bono"! I still had no idea the song was nominated for an award. Then later, when Elton was presenting the award and made that comment about knowing they would get it (I had seen them at the same table together earlier) I thought "Yeah" (I was glad I watched the stupid thing afterall). But as soon as he (Bono) said "it", I immediately looked at my clock. It was around 09:20 pm est. I thought "damn, if it was after 10:00.....it might be ok". Bottom line: he shouldn't have said it. Do I care?: This man is obviously extremely intelligent and compassionate. The world is a better place!!!!!!!!!

kcacie said:
I didn't even know Bono was there until he introduced the "clip" from Gangs. I told my 5-yr-old, "there's Bono"! I still had no idea the song was nominated for an award. Then later, when Elton was presenting the award and made that comment about knowing they would get it (I had seen them at the same table together earlier) I thought "Yeah" (I was glad I watched the stupid thing afterall). But as soon as he (Bono) said "it", I immediately looked at my clock. It was around 09:20 pm est. I thought "damn, if it was after 10:00.....it might be ok". Bottom line: he shouldn't have said it. Do I care?: This man is obviously extremely intelligent and compassionate. The world is a better place!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps he shouldn't have said it but I don't think he was completely comfortable in Hollywood as he's not that kind of person.....he'd had a bit to drink, apparently. Oh, well.

Bono's American Wife said:
what the fuck? i've heard worse on TV

it was a man's honest expression of happiness, what's the big deal?

fucking prudes

what i don't get is they pay so much attention to the "fucking" and nothing to the "Brilliant" :)

they ought to see him on stage, all that hugging and kissing...

where is superman, i mean, the language guard when you need them?

this may be the last acceptance speech he ever gives!

u2chris said:

In what appears to be a disturbing trend, the recent American Music Awards were also filled with vulgar language and behavior. Patricia Heaton, co-star of Everybody Loves Raymond, walked out of the ceremonies in protest of the crude content.

?Patricia Heaton made the right call when she walked out on the AMA. We are witnessing an alarming trend in live programming. There is no reason for an awards show that is broadcast on network television at 8:00 pm to contain references to women?s breasts, three-way sex and highly inappropriate language,? continued Bozell.

Well yeah, because the attention wasn't focused on her! I can't stand her. :madspit: I hate grandstanders.

As for Bono, I don't see what the big deal is. It's one little word. These are just very lonely and unhappy people.

Elisabeth

hey, it WAS fucking briliant! it only made sense for him to say so, right?

:)

verte76 said:
They didn't have to watch the damn thing if they didn't like it. What's the "off" button for???:madspit: :mad: :censored:
exactly. it ticks me off when people whine about something being offensive, rude, or whatever. if you don't like it, don't buy it, don't watch it, or whatever the case may be. sheesh.

for people trying to act all mature and promoting family values by keeping vulgarity off of prime time television, you'd think they'd go about this in a mature way instead of acting like whiney babies.

It's nice to see people with common sense in this thread.

Angel-yeah, people've complained about Harry Potter-some people say he's "satanic" and that he "promotes witchcraft" and other baloney along that line. :rolleyes:.

Daisybean-yeah, exactly. This parents' group thinks Bono's swearing was so horrible-turn on the nightly news, you'll find things on there ten thousand times worse than someone saying "fuck" on T.V.

Khanada, I totally agree with all you've been saying.

There's a thing called a remote control. If that group didn't like what they heard, they could change the channel. Not that hard a concept.

Like I've said in other threads in regards to this-I hate these groups who sit there and think they have the power to decide what is and isn't appropriate for kids to watch on T.V. or listen to or whatever else. Hi-there's a thing called the First Amendment (seriously, I think that some people in this country need to sit down and read the Constitution again very carefully, and notice the part with the First Amendment in it-some people seem to forget that amendment exists).

My parents never listened to groups like them, they decided on their own what would be okay for me to watch or listen to (my parents are actually pretty flexible about that sort of thing, they've never really kept me from seeing or hearing many things like certain songs or movies or shows or whatever).

And I dunno...I think I turned out fine. So did my sister.

And Bono wasn't even using the word in an offensive manner. He was just very happy to have won. I don't think many people there really gave a crap whether or not he swore, I don't think his saying "fucking" scarred anybody there for life.

Like others have said in this thread-it's a word. Kids have heard it before. Kids have heard their own parents utter that word, for christssakes.

And these groups also seem to forget that while they may find something offensive, other people won't. I've got a mind of my own, I'll decide what I can and can't handle hearing or seeing.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
Ah Mr. Brent Bozell strikes again. This is the same guy who tried to shut down Vince McMahon and the then WWF over television content, blaiming pro-wrestling for the murder of a little girl by her 12 year old, mentaly-handicapped brother. The defense's blaim pro-wrestling defense was thrown out in court, Vince sued Bozell for millions of dollars and a written appology to the WWF and all it's fans, McMahon won, and Bozell was forced to post a formal appology on the wwf's web page. The guy jumps from cause to cause, blaiming television for the downfall of society, Columbine & other school shootings, 9/11, tornados, hurricanes, the Kennedy Assasination, Bill Buckner's Game 6 error, and I believe AIDS. He's nothing more than a wanker with too much time on his hands who likes to blaim the media for the downfalls of parents. Fuck him.

Oh, that guy?

Great. :rolleyes:.

What a moron.

It's like you said-these people have way too much time on their hands (just like those people that sit there and actually count the number of sexual references, swear words, and things like that in songs or movies or shows. It's like, do you people have no lives?).

And one more thing-their making a big ruckus about one word, all that's gonna do is make people more interested, and more likely to say that word just to piss people like them off.

Do groups like these honestly think that they're gonna achieve something great in regards to this?

Censorship is evil.

Angela

I hate scapegoating. If some idiot is going to blame world terrorist activities and every other problem on the media and trite stuff like people saying "Fucking" or "sexy content" on TV.......do they blame this for the controversy at the U.N. over Iraq, killings in Israel, the theatre disaster in Moscow, and maybe even the state of the Kiev Ballet???
Sheesh.:madspit: :mad: :censored:

Moonlit_Angel said:
Like I've said in other threads in regards to this-I hate these groups who sit there and think they have the power to decide what is and isn't appropriate for kids to watch on T.V. or listen to or whatever else. Hi-there's a thing called the First Amendment (seriously, I think that some people in this country need to sit down and read the Constitution again very carefully, and notice the part with the First Amendment in it-some people seem to forget that amendment exists).
exactly. even worse is the people who only remember the first amendment when it helps their cause. like, someone whining about their right to speak out against something, but seem to forget that the people they're speaking out against also have the right to say what they're saying!

The word "fuck" appears 51 separate times in this thread. Well, 52 now.

There's a whole lot of that first amendment debating going on back home, around South Bend... turns out the KKK is pretty much based in Osceola (suburb about 5 miles from where I live). They have a complex there... once on a rally down south, they had a banner up that was a number for more information and it was my area code. Anyway, they have a lot of rallies in South Bend and Mishawaka, people try to stop them but they invoke the first amendment and get the permit. The anti-rally protest always has waaaaay more people than the KKK one, heh. Anyway, not that that had anything to do with Bono, the discussion in here made me think of it.

KhanadaRhodes said:

exactly. even worse is the people who only remember the first amendment when it helps their cause. like, someone whining about their right to speak out against something, but seem to forget that the people they're speaking out against also have the right to say what they're saying!

Exactly.

I would have had no problem with them saying that they personally didn't care for what was uttered on the awards show that night. If they just said that, then I wouldn't care.

But when they sit there and think they can tell the people running a T.V. statio or the people running an awards show what they can and can't say, when they sit there and try and make it so that swear words are never uttered on T.V. again (which is ridiculous-I hate to break it to them, but swearing is not going to go away. People will swear until the end of time. Deal with it)simply because they don't like what they heard-that is just wrong. They have no right to do that, they have no right to sit there and tell others what they can and can't say on T.V.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
I hate to break it to them, but swearing is not going to go away. People will swear until the end of time. Deal with it
exactly. (hehe we're starting to sound alike with all these exactlys!) swearing was around long before television was invented. i wouldn't even say it's affected the amount of swearing. reading old books (especially ones by irish authors), i see more swearing than i do on a dennis miller special.

Back
Top Bottom