Ground Beneath Her Feet & Stateless: recorded at ATYCLB sessions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon95

The Fly
When exactly were these two songs recorded, and were they ever considered for the lineup of tracks on ATYCLB?

I notice how iTunes has "Ground" as part of ATYCLB in the digital box set release...but I'm presuming b/c it was originally a Japanese or UK bonus track.

Does anyone also think that "Ground" and "Stateless" could have fit on ATYCLB, and if so, where would you have put it in the lineup?

Last edited:
I think "ground beneath.." and "stateless" should have been on ATYCLB......
it would have made that record even better, than it is:drool: :drool:

xaviMF22 said:

:drool:

to answer the original questions, they're from the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack... so recorded somewhere late 1999/early 2000...

I like Ground better than Stateless. They probably could've been on ATYCLB. But, they were recorded BEFORE ATYCLB for the MDH soundtrack.

xaviMF22 said:

:yes:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Kite
Stuck In A Moment
Levitate
In A Little While
Wild Honey
Stateless
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
New York
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Grace

:hmm:

MrPryck2U said:
I like Ground better than Stateless. They probably could've been on ATYCLB. But, they were recorded BEFORE ATYCLB for the MDH soundtrack.

Actually I think it's the other way around.
I read that chapter in U2 by U2 today and Edge says they were B-sides to All That You Can't Leave Behind.

U2 by U2 page 294:

"EDGE: A couple of our B-sides ended up going into the project, which was fine. No one begrudged Bono that."

Ok, so maybe "a couple of" doesn't include The Ground Beneath Her Feet or Stateless, but it's likely.

ATYCLB is a great album.

put in "feet' and "Stateless" and take away Peace on Earth and Wild Honey and you got a classic record.

Zootlesque said:

:yes:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Kite
Stuck In A Moment
Levitate
In A Little While
Wild Honey
Stateless
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
New York
Grace

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Stuck in a Moment
Summer Rain
In a Little While
Kite
Walk On
Levitate
Stateless
New York
When I Look at the World
Peace on Earth
Grace

:shrug:

LemonMacPhisto said:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Stuck in a Moment
Summer Rain
In a Little While
Kite
Walk On
Levitate
Stateless
New York
When I Look at the World
Peace on Earth
Grace

:shrug:

:up: :up: for including "summer rain"

I liked the Nice Mix of New York over the album version, it's got a little bit of the Tomb Raider Steroid Mix to it.

That being said, it's one of my least favorite songs on ATYCLB yet it's one of the essential songs of the album, atleast in context.

I could see Stateless on there. Ground isn't my favorite....I can't stand the intro. :yuck:

I remember an article in which Bono described how he wrote TGBHF and played it for the band to get their initial reaction. They said something about it being "a nice salad" which was a put down way of saying it was too much of a ballad. So he said if that was the way they felt, then he'd use it instead for the MDH soundtrack. Of course, he got their help in putting it all together. Let's hope it wasn't too painful an experience for them, LOL.:wink:

Damn!

Ground is an amazing song, WTF were they thinking.

If there is one things that U2 has done poorly in the last few years, it has been selecting album material! They have passed on a lot of brilliant songs...

Ground
Stateless
Summer Rain
Xanaz and Wine/Fast Cars
Mercy
Smile
etc...

The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless are so completely different in mood and style from anything else on ATYCLB that I can't believe they were done during the same sessions.

I would love an entire album of U2 songs like TGBHF, Stateless and Never Let Me Go. :drool:

Adam had an interesting quote on these tunes from the U2 book.

"atmospheric, mid tempo pieces that we come up with quite easily."

Further proof that ATYCLB was the band actually pushing themselves.

MrBrau1 said:
Adam had an interesting quote on these tunes from the U2 book.

"atmospheric, mid tempo pieces that we come up with quite easily."

Further proof that ATYCLB was the band actually pushing themselves.

So basically...those songs were really "U2 on auto-pilot?"

I like U2 on auto-pilot. ;)

RademR said:
ATYCLB is a great album.

put in "feet' and "Stateless" and take away Peace on Earth and Wild Honey and you got a classic record.

:tsk: Add in GBHF and Stateless,

Remove Stuck and Elevation.

Now we're talking.

Didn't Salman Rushdie write the lyrics for Ground Beneath Her Feet? He wrote a book of approximately the same name. Not a bad read either.

I need to listen to Stateless again...

OT: I love Dancing Shoes :)

Alisaura said:
Didn't Salman Rushdie write the lyrics for Ground Beneath Her Feet? He wrote a book of approximately the same name. Not a bad read either.

I need to listen to Stateless again...

OT: I love Dancing Shoes :)

Yes, the lyric for Ground Beneath Her Feet was entirely Salmon Rushdie's. He sent Bono the manuscript before publishing and Bono called him back and said "I hope you don't mind I wrote the music for your song." MDH soundtrack was done while they were working on ATYCLB because I read an article with Daniel Lanois were he was kind of bitching that Bono got his help on that because it was the only way to get him back in the studio for ATYCLB. Bono asked for Stateless because it seemed like it wouldn't make the cut for the album and the band let it go to MDH. So Bono wasn't just back and forth to Washington during ATYCLB, he was also working on MDH at the same time.

I personally think the mid-tempo and slower stuff is some of U2's best work but they don't have much success doing these songs live because the audiences don't react well to the slower songs. Bono was asked recently if we might see him at the piano on stage like Elton John and Bono said "No, we tried that with Sweetest Thing and people had a bit of a snooze." The interviewer said "That's rude" and Bono replied, "I thought so too." He sounded hurt that the slower song wasn't well recieved. I think they've probably got several albums worth of mid-tempo or slower songs from throughout their career that didn't make the grade because all the audience will allow is the big anthems. I'd be happy if they'd put out albums like that even if they didn't tour them.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom