Gripes about Hamilton-productions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Why do you not like his style of producing U2 concerts?

For me it's the quick cuts, back and forth I get dizzy when that happens especially in the Chicago one.

- too many cuts
- zooming in and out all the time
- shaking the camera all the time
- close ups that make no sense (Hands, Foots, head from behind)
- always cuts in the wrong moment (no feeling for the songs)
- he also makes a lot of cut-mistakes (for example during Streets on SlaneDVD and AnCath..ChicagoDVD)

he probably thinks that's art - but it`s not. He has no style, neither talent.
U2 deserves someone better.

U2 cannot be very judges on that subject - the just have no time to watch enough TV.
Hamilton is like the Jerry Bruckheimer of music-DVDs. I want an Scorsese, Fellini - a Kubrick for my guys, not such a talentless idiot.

Rattle and Hum I can watch again and again (Pride - It's just perfectly filming).
And I'm really optimistic that the new director Marc Pellington can do it also - at least with a little bit more style than goofy Hamilton :pray:

Last edited:
perrypickwick said:
- too many cuts

agreed :yes:

there is an epic camera angle during UTEOTW on Boston.
its the when Bono and Edge are doing their bit toward the end, the camera is at a wide angle, with the strobe lighting flashing and you see the silouettes of Bono, Edge and the audience's hands.
its a great angle and shot, but it only last a few milli-seconds :angry: blink and you miss it

waynetravis said:
its a great angle and shot, but it only last a few milli-seconds :angry: blink and you miss it [/B]

you're so right - I can't remember this exactly shot. But also by watching the Chicago DVD there are so many times I thought - STOP!!!!!! GREAT ANGLE! but then it's always away very quickly and you get a nice view on an dark spot in a corner or something like this :(

Every new director gets a new perspective on the greatest band on earth - it's thrilling - by taking the same director again and again it becomes uninspired and boring.

So I'm really curious what view the new director team has on U2. And how they interpretating the songs - (I wish I could explain that all in german, sorry)

waynetravis said:

its the when Bono and Edge are doing their bit toward the end, the camera is at a wide angle, with the strobe lighting flashing and you see the silouettes of Bono, Edge and the audience's hands.
its a great angle and shot, but it only last a few milli-seconds :angry: blink and you miss it

That is killer. And I am a fan of the crane shot that meets Bono at the beginning of WTSHNN. And WOWY with the girl. Not much from Chicago seems as memorable or as well done.

I've always been under the impression that older-U2 has been a little paranoid about their video appearances. They come off as a bit uncomfortable, especially on TV bits where they have less control over their image. I imagine that at that stage, they liked Hamish's quick cuts - gives younger viewers less chance to see the cracks!

I just watched again to remember and I forgot above:
- the playing with the sharpness all the time, it`s disgusting.
- and I must repeat that: the zooming is just so horrible: Zoom in-Stop-Zoom more in, camera-shaking and than in the movement a cut. It all makes no sense and it`s like watching a bootleg with a better picture quality and more angles - it's just creepy cutting and camera work :crazy: (a throw up smiley would haven been better).
Why can't they hold there cameras just still??? they want more dynamic and live feeling - o.k. , but it doesn't work this way.

Just watching parts of Rattle and Hum - that is beautiful. For example Running to stand still. Very very view different angles - just beautiful pictures which stay, more room to enjoy the music.

Sometimes less is more....
- I watched some other music-DVDs Hamilton shot were I have the feeling that fits more (Rammstein, Simply Red for example). But U2 and Hamilton - I thinks that's not a good connection.

Justin24 said:

For me it's the quick cuts, back and forth I get dizzy when that happens especially in the Chicago one.

Couldnt have sed it better myself!! It is the most noticable let down on all his productions, but, by FCUK......it leaps out at you

Justin24 said:
Why do you not like his style of producing U2 concerts?

its not just u2 concerts, he directed the bryan adams dvd at slane and it was cut after cut after cut.

i find it funny how he says on the boston dvd that closeups are too "top of the topish" yet when u watch his final edited show every other shot was of someones nose or eyes, and why the hell do we need to see adams pick in his mouth on the milan dvd during cobl!!!:huh:

waynetravis said:

And then we get half a song's worth of shots of the tail of Bono's guitar during Kite at Slane. :happy:

Give me a film like any of the ZooTV proshots (though without the crappy words thrown overtop) or the live footage from R&H. :drool:

Phil Joanou is the biggest U2 bootleg hoarder out there! :wink:

Thanks to Hamish's work on the Chicago DVD:

I didn't know Adam even played the keyboards on COBL and I didn't know how much energy Edge put into his Electric Co. solo because we had to see Bono splashing water into the crowd over and over and over again.

Both I figured from bootlegs.

Re: Re: Gripes about Hamilton-productions

craigp said:

i find it funny how he says on the boston dvd that closeups are too "top of the topish" yet when u watch his final edited show every other shot was of someones nose or eyes, and why the hell do we need to see adams pick in his mouth on the milan dvd during cobl!!!:huh:

To be honest thats the only thing i've liked about his editing - i thought that was an interesting/cool shot.

perrypickwick said:
- too many cuts
- he also makes a lot of cut-mistakes (for example during Streets on SlaneDVD and AnCath..ChicagoDVD)

:up:

bul.gif

Wanna more ?

xaviMF22 said:

reasons ........

My 1st reason of what I still hate Hamish directing

Boston DVD , Duringn Edge's bullet guitar solo , the bloody bastard films it all , EVERYTHING except Edge playin ........ What a fucking joke , and the idiot prefers to film Bono's fuckin shoes

J_NP said:

reasons ........

My 1st reason of what I still hate Hamish directing

Boston DVD , Duringn Edge's bullet guitar solo , the bloody bastard films it all , EVERYTHING except Edge playin ........ What a fucking joke , and the idiot prefers to film Bono's fuckin shoes

this sums up why I hate his editing too.. I remember that now.. :banghead:

When R & H came out, much was made in interviews etc that Phil Joanou was a U2 fan before he got involved in the movie. And you can tell in his concert footage. He really loves the music.

Does anyone know if Hamish Hamilton is an actual fan? It obv would have some bearing on how he approaches the music.

Back
Top Bottom