Green Day's album "American Idiot" and U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I'm listening to the album for the first time, and songs like "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" feature guitar works that are like 'chimes' that remind me of the Edge.

Another song called, "Give Me Novacaine" has a drum pattern that is very close to Bullet The Blue Sky...

Wonder if Green Day likes U2?

The melody in Street Mission totally reminds me of Walking Contradiction by Green Day so I wouldnt be surprised lol

Totally agree on the Give Me Novacaine/Bullet reference. I came across that when it randomly appeared on my ipod the other day.
I thought - "yeah, Bullet"....then I was taken by suprise when the singing kicked in!

theu2fly said:

Wonder if Green Day likes U2?

In the current Entertainment Weekly, the feature story is on Green Day. They are quoted as saying something like "U2 basically started out being a punk band like us and now are the biggest band in the world, there is nothing wrong with wanting that" I cannot remember the exact quote, but it was something like that.

There's also a little bit in the year-end Spin where Billy-Joe and others review the years biggest singles. He was very compimentary of Vertigo, especially how great a singer Bono was.
It's interesting because I've read Green Day slag off U2 before.

MrBrau1 said:
There's also a little bit in the year-end Spin where Billy-Joe and others review the years biggest singles. He was very compimentary of Vertigo, especially how great a singer Bono was.
It's interesting because I've read Green Day slag off U2 before.

Slag off? What did they say? They've always come off as very diplomatic in print (from what I've read), I'm curious as to what they said

Xavier

they're getting older... their music is getting more mature... ya can't exactly be talking about high school and teenage angst in your 30s and 40s... makes you look sad and pathetic. so as green day grows, so too, i'd assume, is their appreciation for those who've come before them. :shrug: i've always liked 'em...

Props to them for the chimey guitar bit in Boulevard of Broken dreams.

That song impressed me the first time I heard it. American Idiot....notsomuch.

I LOVE Boulevard of Broken Dreams. It's the best song of the year IMO. Green Day have improved from just a 3 chord punk band to real rock artists. They deserve a Grammy (though I hope they don't sweep U2!)

Alot of bands seem to have The Joshua Tree on repeat back home sometime in their career:wink:

i always thought that boulevard of broken dreams sounds like the smiths "How soon is now". although i suppose you can hear a hint of edgyness in it

i couldn't get u2 tickets for twickinem so on the 19th june i'm seeing green day at MK Bowl

I saw Billy Joe Armstrong being interviewed on TV, and he said that the way he used to try to explain Green Day's music to people is that they were a cross between U2 and the Sex Pistols. Or something like that.

I'd say its much more like a couple of Oasis songs, Wonderwall and D'you Know What I Mean?..theres a nice mash-up of Wonderwall/Broken Dreams out there.

American Idiot is an amazing album

Jesus of Suburbia is an amazing song... if you've only heard the two singles so far, make sure you take a listen to Jesus, it clocks in at a hefty 9+ minutes, but it's an amazing song

korczykp said:

Jesus of Suburbia is an amazing song... if you've only heard the two singles so far, make sure you take a listen to Jesus, it clocks in at a hefty 9+ minutes, but it's an amazing song

Amen to that. Heard Jesus of Suburbia for the first time over the weekend. THE most epic Green Day song to date, considering this thing clocks in at 9:01 long and most of their songs barely get past the 3:00 mark.

I'm so looking forward to the rock opera they'll be making from this album. In a year when U2 showed up strong, I hate to say it, but I think Green Day dropped the better album.....by the slimmest of margins.

Ok, let the pile on commence. :laugh:

boulevard of broken dreams (what a lame title) is a decent song, but it's a total ripoff of the chords to wonderwall by oasis.

If American Idiot is the best album of 2004 it must be a very lame year for music....but wait...its not.

I've always been a casual fan of green day, but their new album is very, very strong. I don't think it's as strong as "How to Dismantle" or "Hot Puss" but it's def. up there.

Good info about Green Day's comments on u2, I never figured them to be u2 fans. And about the novacaine song, the drums are basically identical to BTBS.

RademR said:
I've always been a casual fan of green day, but their new album is very, very strong. I don't think it's as strong as "How to Dismantle" or "Hot Puss" but it's def. up there.

"Hot Puss" soungs great! :wink:

This Green Day album reminds me of a younger U2 when they were hungrier and had something to prove.

I also think Jesus of Suburbia is overrated. It's just basically three songs medleyed into one. If U2 will do that with any three songs of theirs, they'll be hailed as songwriting geniuses.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
Funny, I've always thought of Boulevard of Broken Dreams as more akin to that Avril Lavigne song that was a single not too long ago...

Oh, and American Idiot (the song) sucked.

However, from what I remember of Jesus of Suburbia, it actually seemed like a pretty cool tune. I'll give you Green Day fans that much. :wink:

American Idiot has the air of an album that'll become a classic IMO, so many great songs and the two epics really advance their sound.

Let's see:

A "punk band" written off long ago, writes the best rock opera released in the last ____ years, and scores huge with grammy nods up the ass, and people think they suck?

Nothing would please me more, than them getting Album of the Year, but Ray Charles will be getting it this Sunday...

jick said:
This Green Day album reminds me of a younger U2 when they were hungrier and had something to prove.

I also think Jesus of Suburbia is overrated. It's just basically three songs medleyed into one. If U2 will do that with any three songs of theirs, they'll be hailed as songwriting geniuses.

Cheers,

J

It's five songs. Not stating whether you are wrong or not, but sounds like you do not know enough about it to comment.

Back
Top Bottom