Greatest version of Running to Stand Still

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Hmm...sombody should make a poll for me, but for now let's just have a general write in ballot type thingy.

So....choose which version of RTST is the greatest of all time! And share why.

1. Joshua Tree (album)
2. Joshua Tree (tour)
3. Lovetown
4. Zoo TV
5. Elevation (only two shows I think)
6. Vertigo

Ok, personally this is a tough desicion between Zoo TV and Vertigo. Both are totally unique and wonderful in their own ways.

Zoo TV has : awesome Edge guitar, killer smoke machine, Zoo TV Bono voice, theatrics, the wonderful "halelujahs" and the benefit of being the best Streets segue to date.

Vertigo has: Gorgeous Edge piano, haunting minimalism, gorgeous Edge harmonies, incredible rare evidence of Bono actually playing the guitar, more powerful band intro before third verse, harp as intro (me likey), "prettier" halelujahs, and the declaration of human rights (may be a con for some people).

Like I said, tough choice. Ultimately, though, I have to go with Vertigo. Watching this song's performance on the chicago DVD makes me cry. Unfortunatly I can't say that about Zoo TV, so that's my vote.

Nothing can beat the Zoo TV version, in my opinion! The beam of light... the smoke... Bono's get-up... Edge's guitar :love:... the passionate hallelujahs... the fantastic segue into Streets... :combust:

Zootlesque said:
Nothing can beat the Zoo TV version, in my opinion! The beam of light... the smoke... Bono's get-up... Edge's guitar :love:... the passionate hallelujahs... the fantastic segue into Streets... :combust:

Yes, it is quite devine isn't it. :wink:

Zoo TV. The "hallelujahs" are beautiful. And the segue into Streets is incredible. :heart:

I had just seen the ZooTV version on the Joshua Tree dvd I bought a couple nights ago, and immediately went looking for an audio rip (thanks DreamOutLoud!). It is simply amazing!

ZOO TV versions overall were the best, they were done perfectly and the effects were awesome.

favorite version of all time though is the new years eve concert in dublin, 1989....amazing

ZooTV. I like it so much better on the guitar. :drool: And with the heroin mime that Bono does... it kills me.

RademR said:
ZOO TV versions overall were the best, they were done perfectly and the effects were awesome.

favorite version of all time though is the new years eve concert in dublin, 1989....amazing

I agree, that is also my favorite performance of RTST.

IMHO, the very best live version of RTSS is from the Zooropa shows in the UK in August '93. Bono coming out onto the B stage and pacing a circle, hitting and rubbing his arm, miming wrapping a tourniquet, etc., singing "She runs through the streets / With her eyes painted red / Under a black belly of cloud in the rain / In through a doorway / She brings me white golden pearls / Stolen from the sea..."

Then, "She will suffer the needle chill / She's running to stand--"
and he jabs an imaginary needle into his arm-- "still...."

Followed by the amazing hallelujah chorus, the beautiful multicolored smoke and the soulful harmonica solo.

Perfection.

Livi

I'd say my favorites are from the Vertigo Tour because it was more stripped down and just kinda by it self. And I think it had a good message to lead into with the whole hallelujah's into the human rights. It was just a very pure emotion.

on a different note. i wonder if theres any poll that has a Zoo tv/90's option that WON'T automatically win and give another tour/era a chance to shine :yawn: :wink:

catlhere said:

on a different note. i wonder if theres any poll that has a Zoo tv/90's option that WON'T automatically win and give another tour/era a chance to shine :yawn: :wink:

yeah! :lol: but it's not the 90s/zoo era's fault that it's so awesome and so well respected by u2 fans! :tongue:

:wink:

livi40 said:
IMHO, the very best live version of RTSS is from the Zooropa shows in the UK in August '93. Bono coming out onto the B stage and pacing a circle, hitting and rubbing his arm, miming wrapping a tourniquet, etc., singing "She runs through the streets / With her eyes painted red / Under a black belly of cloud in the rain / In through a doorway / She brings me white golden pearls / Stolen from the sea..."

Then, "She will suffer the needle chill / She's running to stand--"
and he jabs an imaginary needle into his arm-- "still...."

Followed by the amazing hallelujah chorus, the beautiful multicolored smoke and the soulful harmonica solo.

Perfection.

Livi

He kind of did that for the entire tour though.

david said:

He kind of did that for the entire tour though.

That may be. I guess that it struck me more during Zooropa because I wasn't in the nosebleeds like I was in Indoor and Outdoor.

Livi

I love them all. That song never gets old for me. However I do love Bono's vocal on the R&H DVD version, it's gorgeous, and the Vertigo tour's been amazing for it as well with Edge too.

Zootlesque said:

What he said :wink:

Although I have to say, the Please-Streets segue from Popmart might very possibly be even better than the chilling RTSS-Streets segue.

RTSS is a special song that I could play over and over all day long in all the versions that we know of.

The Zoo TV and the Lovetown versions are the best. Really hard to pick one over the other, but I'd say Zoo TV edges ahead just a bit (I made a pun! :wink: ).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom