GRAMMYS-POST ALL COMMENTS, ETC. HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Judging by the lack of replies, I take it nobody else watched it???

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Originally posted by Bonochick:
I hope you are all catching this!

Larry....GOOD FRIGGIN LORD.

*I would have been there to help him get "comfortable enough" to cheer-heh
wink.gif
And it's great to see guys like Carson and this guy tonight get so excited cause you know they are such fans of them. Really awesome.

Adam:"No apology neccessary." LOL!

VH-1's Grammy Moment #5:

Bono cutting off The Edge!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 02-27-2002).]

I can't believe, at my posting time, there have been 422 replies on this thread...

But anyway - so so sad about Album of the Year. Maybe someday I'll get why "O Brother" won - but I don't think it means much, and frankly, I'm too tipsy and tired to worry about what if or any effects this will have on sales or relevance.

This isn't the first year the Album of the Year winner has left me
confused.gif

After reading all 423 posts, I have to join in on the fun! I think it's a shame U2 lost Album of the Year, but it's still great that they won 4 awards, especially Record of the Year. As some of you have pointed out, though, I think it's kinda weird that U2 were backstage with India Arie. I don't understand why they'd have them stand backstage and basically spoil the award, especially since they had front row seats and wouldn't take long to get onstage. That was just a little strange.

And their interview on the VH1 post show was great. I loved how Amer (or whatever the host's name was) asked Larry why he didn't cheer like in the Stuck video! I was glad that they all got a chance to talk. Go U2!
biggrin.gif

Guys...to be honest "O Brother..." was my second favorite album to be nominated. You may not like bluegrass/gospel styling, but I do and it did have some amazing songs and performances within it. I doubt the boys are that mad...T bone Burnett was the producer of it, and him and Bono are friends from what I've heard. O Brother in my mind is an excellent album and although the u2 fan in me wanted to see u2 get it, O brother was a nice consolation...sorry, but I felt this was the best Grammy awards show that I've seen in ages..great performances, worthy songs....you know, not all of us here only liked one group nominated this year....

Yeah, T-bone can't be that bad of a guy. He once said, "A U2 concert is what church should be." So he obviously has mad respect for the band.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by kariatari (edited 02-27-2002).]

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
[B
Larry was so fucking gorgeous. Adam spoke.

I love those boys.

biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by LarryMullen's_POPAngel (edited 02-27-2002).][/B]

I hope Larry doesn't make me have another "coat-smelling" dream, lol.

Overall, excellent night, although I'm still really bummed about losing album of the year.
Oh well, they're amazing and I know that. Screw everyone else who doesn't think so.
wink.gif

Too many beers for me, I need to hi the sack!

------------------
Show a little faith
There's magic in the night

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Me too. Bluegrass craze? Where?

Yes, bluegrass craze. A minor craze, but a craze none the less. That album seriously sold a LOT. (Exactly how much, I don't know.) It gave another bluegrass band, Nickel Creek, a boost in sales and probably helped out some other bluegrass artists too. Hell, this year even saw the release of a U2 bluegrass ablum!

I actually leaped off my couch when "Walk On" won at the end! It's been a good night for the boys.

But I have to say, if U2 had to lose Album of the Year, I'm glad it was to the O Brother soundtrack. I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but that album was incredible. And more importantly, it was incredibly well received. Its popularity did so much to bring traditional music (and yes, that includes bluegrass/folk) back into the public eye, and many very talented and long-standing names in the music business were jumping to be a part of it. It's spent almost as many weeks on the Billboard charts as ATYCLB, 26 of those at no. 1, and it currently ranks at no. 13 on the top 100(higher than ATYCLB). (And for those of you complaining that the album was a bunch of remakes, you're clearly not familiar with traditional music.)

Say what you want about the movie, or about that type of music, but the O Brother soundtrack absolutely deserved that award. And I'm as big a U2 fan as any, so that's hard for me to admit!

I stopped watching after they lost Album of the Year to O BRother Fucking where art thou and then proceeded to lose the Song of the Year to Alicia Keyes. That signaled the end of it to me and I was kind of bummed. Then I open my email and see an Yahoo News Alert, U2 Wins Record of the Year!!! I am like WOW!!!! It's real funny but it is a funny way to make losing Album of the Year seem ok after all.

I highly agree with all who said how can an album have FOUR songs from it win Grammys including TWO Record of the Years and still not win Album of the Year for the album that spawned them??

Grammy historians, has any rock band ever won Record of the Year two years in a row??

I'm overall content with the outcome, I did not expect them to win more than two or three with one possibly being a MAJOR and thats exactly what they did. A little better than expected.

I don't think ANYBODY has ever won record of the year back-to-back...

[This message has been edited by kariatari (edited 02-27-2002).]

Woo hoo for our boys! I love them!

But DAMMIT I missed the pre-show... Can you guys tell me what happened???

OMC - I leave work and this thing had ten posts.

Well, I missed the performance and one award. Saw the others though - and had fun. Stayed at the party and watched POPMart Mexico City - What an awesome performance - I forgot how good PopMart was!!!!!

Happy night~

Seven Grammys... not bad for one little album!

I was disappointed that ATYCLB didn't get Best Album, but you gotta admit that there was some tough competition in that category, and after all, no band has ever won two Best Albums... so maybe U2 will be the first one in another 10 years,
smile.gif

I'll only get to watch the ceremony tomorrow, but I looked up "Walk On" performance on the net and all I have to say is, my what a difference from the last year's somewhat lackluster "Beautiful Day". I love this song more and more with every performance. Bono's voice was amazing!

And I'm very happy that Coldplay got the Best Alternative Album when the voters could have gone into autopilot mode and handed it to Radiohead.

Originally posted by Saracene:
And I'm very happy that Coldplay got the Best Alternative Album when the voters could have gone into autopilot mode and handed it to Radiohead.

Thats funny! I am happy Coldplay won that award too.

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
I thought for sure Bono was gonna thank me at the end,guess he forgot.

db9
He's sorry he didn't forget, they just started to cut him off. Anyway, he wanted me to thank you, especially for picking him up and scaring the shit(e) outta him
smile.gif

------------------
The hunter gets captured by the game

Originally posted by kariatari:
I don't think ANYBODY has ever won record of the year back-to-back...

I'm pretty sure a female artist in the 60's or 70's did, but I can't recall who.

What I am pretty sure about is that no one has won awards for four different songs off a single album. Maybe two, but I'd be surprised if anyone had managed three songs before last night.

I like the fact that-
The show opened w/U2.
The show more or less closed w/U2.
The world is begginning more and more to see Bono and U2 as a household name.
And that they recieved 4 Grammys everyone of the band members could take one home and show their friends,neighbors,
and crack dealers.

Diamond

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 02-28-2002).]

To correct myself above and offer some insight, Roberta Flack won Best Record in 1973 and 1974.

U2 becomes the second artist to win the award in consecutive years.

Of course when they release an album later this year they will become the first to win the award three straight years. ;-)

[This message has been edited by MSU2mike (edited 02-28-2002).]

I missed most of them performing "Walk On"! I was watching the Preshow on VH1 and didn't think about changing channels for the Grammys until too late! I just assumed the Grammys would be on the same channel as the pre/post shows! Grrr! On top of that, my VCR recorded at a faster speed than I planned and my tape ran out early so I missed taping Ray Ramono giving the Edge the gift.
mad.gif

I agree that it doesn't make sense for them not to win Album of the year when so many of the songs won, but all in all happy that they won what they did.
smile.gif

I think Bono should have shaved for the occassion and really loved that Adam spoke!

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

Originally posted by BostonAnne:
I missed most of them performing "Walk On"! I was watching the Preshow on VH1 and didn't think about changing channels for the Grammys until too late! I just assumed the Grammys would be on the same channel as the pre/post shows! Grrr! On top of that, my VCR recorded at a faster speed than I planned and my tape ran out early so I missed taping Ray Ramono giving the Edge the gift.
mad.gif

I agree that it doesn't make sense for them not to win Album of the year when so many of the songs won, but all in all happy that they won what they did.
smile.gif

I think Bono should have shaved for the occassion and really loved that Adam spoke!

I feel your pain. I could swear the show started early because I was not home and taped it, but the tape started in the middle of the song. But everyone else tells me it started right on the hour, so I must've screwed it up. I'd bought a new tape just for the occasion and set the timer to start a few minutes before the hour to compensate for any slight time differences. Sadness.

(1) Walk On was great but I wish they had the choir more up front... it looked weird with them in the audience. I also think "Walk On" shouldn't have opened. The camera work on the band was great but it seemed like there was technical difficulties for the band's intro to the song. I blame the show. It was cool to see U2 standing up and applausing for Bob Dylan. I liked the playfulness between Kid Rock and U2/ Bono.

(2) Wow, Tony Bennett and Billy Joel were great. Billy Joel... yeesh he got bald and fat big time... almost unrecognizable...
(3) I was thinking how weird it would be if U2 won the award that Train did and had to greet Don Henley...

(4) Train was just aiite.

(5) N'sync with Nelly was disappointing... lip synching it seemed was their (N'sync) thing even though they put up a great intro of "Gone." I'd rather have seen them singing that song and didn't care for Nelly being in that "Girlfriend" song. "Gone" was really that good. Too bad they screwed up IMO.

(6) Allison Krauss is awesome!
I know Emmylou Harris is awesome. Don't know Gillian Welch but loved their collaboration on the soundtrack and on the show. Soggy Bottom Boys were good for what they are and the guitar work was great.

(7) Alicia Keys... good performance but the part where they're yelling out "remix" was stoopid.

(8) Lady Marmalade... Don't care for it and getting sick of hearing it, but they made a decent performance... at least sounded different. A lot of cleavage for sure.

(9) Dave Matthews... I think "Space..." is just an average song with a great chorus/ backing keyboard part. It was just a solid performance IMO. Great atmosphere.

(10) Bob Dylan... his voice cracks me up but it was a fine performance though I couldn't understand a thing he was saying. I haven't listened to Love and Theft but that song he played was great. Reminded me of Busta Rhymes and the tempo changes and "junk" style noise form the guitars was awesome.

(11) Beyonce Knowles is hot and it was a cool duet with that Sanz (?) and Destiny's Child.

(12) Mary J. Blige looked like she was at church. Heh. Crazy wild performance and I don't really like that song as much but she made it good.

(13) Could do without the speech on downloading music... LOL at the students used for their "research." They could have put that time for better use like allowing the speakers to finish their speeches and doing some proper tributes. The speech also took away fromt the Lifetime Achievements portion.

(14) Outkast was cool and the kid was cute. Defintely brought something different to the Awards. Ms. Jackson is all good and they looked dang serious though. Weird...

(13) Nelly Furtado and Stevie Vai was what I was so looking forward to. "I'm Like a Bird" is a great pop song. Though I love the extra vocal flourishes of produced song... this low key version with Vai on guitar was cool. Defintely super cool highlight. Furtado is a cutey and a dork. Great combo. Virtuosos are always cool.

(14) Alan Jackson... nice country song and well meaninged... but I feel a little 9-11'ed out and it's somewhat too schmaltzy for my tastes (lyrically that is)

(15) India Arie's performance gave me chills... It was top 3 of the night. Too bad she didn't win a Grammy.

(16) The close was cool with McKnight, Green, etc. Nice closer.

My major complaints... I hated how several artists weren't aloowed to finish their thank yous. That music to kick them off was stinking annoying. It was also stinking annoying that when they announced the artists for nominations, they didn't always highlight the artist.

Stewart was aiite but I thought he was way funnier last year. However presiding over an awards show is difficult. Also b/c the emphais of the music in the show seemed to be roots related or mellow rock, it sort of made the show too mellow. Where is the rock! I'm not a fan of Linkin Park but it would have been fun to see them there or to see some more rap... I mean if Walk On which is medium range song has the most power in it then there is something wrong there. Oh well.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Back
Top Bottom