Grammys.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hitman

Acrobat
The nominees come out on Friday, and while U2 is certainly the favorite to garner a nomination and a win for ATYCLB, what does everyone think the odds are of a Best Record, Best Song and Best Rock Song sweep for Walk On???? A tremendous song that has gained new meaning for a lot of people in the wake of tragedy....

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever!

Bob Dylan may take home the award for best record, though maybe not because he won with his previous record, but I'm sure they will find some unlikely contender by a well respected act to make us sweat this one out, but I think U2 can and should win for ATYCLB

I doubt Walk On will even be nominated, though perhaps an even more deserving song than Beautiful Day, I just don't see it, it wasn't really a radio hit in the US

I imagine Alicia Keyes will be heavily nominated, and even perhaps Michael Jackson (not sure what of his was released in time to be Grammy-eligible)

Of course I think U2 is the best contender for Best record, song and best everything but I'm worried that the album is too old.
It's time to call those radio stations and request U2!
smile.gif

Best album of the year by far. I'm racking my brain for any albums that compete, only Dylan and Lucinda Williams come to mind. Yes it is old, but still hangin around on the charts and still producing hits!!!

I've been trying to think of who else would be nominated big for everything.

I don't know who, though. I mean last year was U2's "comeback" year so there was a big fuss about that (not a bad thing
smile.gif
), and NSync is gonna have their share of nominations. But rockwise, what other acts were there that had big moments this year?

*crunch* My brain can't think that far back

------------------
~*Mona*~ Secretary of Scandalization
97% compatible with Bono

"Bono was embraced as rock's latest mystic leader, a sort of holy cross between the Morrisons, Jim and Van"

"There were moments when Bono even earned cheers for simply loosening his shirt"

"Listen....I could be a genius if I weren't so lazy"

I was flicking through the channels the other day and saw U2 on MTV News talking about the tour and ATYCLB. When they stopped talking the newsgirl said it's a good bet U2 will walk away from the Grammys with album of the year. Just thought I'd add that.

Originally posted by Dustybot:
I was flicking through the channels the other day and saw U2 on MTV News talking about the tour and ATYCLB. When they stopped talking the newsgirl said it's a good bet U2 will walk away from the Grammys with album of the year. Just thought I'd add that.
biggrin.gif
They better. I seriously can't think of who else would get nominated, besides U2 and maybe Alicia Keys.

*GASP* Where's Gina Marie? What is Pat Monahan's there? oo

------------------
97% compatible with Bono

"Bono was embraced as rock's latest mystic leader, a sort of holy cross between the Morrisons, Jim and Van"

"I used to gaze out my classroom window and dream And then go home and listen to Ray sing "I believe to my soul" after school" ~Van Morrison~

Bob Dylan and Alicia Keyes are the only other acts with a shot of beating ATYCLB, but it's not likely to happen.

I posted this in another forum, but I'll repost my ideas on the Grammys.

Nominees for Album of the Year:

-U2
-Alicia Keyes
-O Brother Where Art Thou? Soundtrack
-Bob Dylan
-Enya

...for Record of the Year:

Train: Drops of Jupiter
U2: Stuck in a Moment or Walk On
Alicia Keyes: Fallin'

Was Bob Dylan's the album that came out on 9-11? I remember someone's did. If it was his, he missed out on a lot of publicity that he deserved. *sigh*

and I forgot the O Brother thing was this year. That'll probably take home a few.

------------------
97% compatible with Bono

"I used to gaze out my classroom window and dream And then go home and listen to Ray sing "I believe to my soul" after school" ~Van Morrison~

U2 will be nominated for Album of the Year, and if I had to guess I would predict they'll win.

But I think it's downright foolish to expect anything else. None of the songs after "Beautiful Day" had any real staying power. I think there's a chance "Walk On" will get a nomination due to the content and it's airplay in September & October, but even that's probably a reach.

For Record/Song you're looking at:

Keyes' "Fallin'" will be nominated.
Train's "Drops of Jupiter" will surely be nominated.
I'm inclined to think DMB's "The Space Between" will get a nomination.
Probably have something to appeal to the hip-hop sector. If they made that choice based on MTV then something ridiculous like Missy Elliot's "Get Ur Freak On" will be nominated. Frankly, I think Outkast's "Ms. Jackson" would be a fine choice.

Then you've gotta make room for something very safe...Enya's tune would be likely if it was released this year. I'm pretty sure the album wasn't, but the song may have been.

I just don't see how U2 is going to have much success in the record/song category when 1) None of their 2001 releases received close to the airplay BD had and 2) They won the awards last year.

The fact that they walked off with three last year will make doing much of anything this year difficult. I think overall they stand out far enough from the crowd to win Album of the Year despite that (certainly a Keyes could sneak in though), but to expect anything in the other big categories is probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

Humbug! If DMB sweeps the Grammys like they did the VH1 thing, I'll cry. *grouch*

------------------
97% compatible with Bono

Don't cry Mona you know DMB only swept because we got turned in for cheating by Bon Jovi people even though they did it too and DMB was the first camp to cheat!
mad.gif
Not to mention they suck
icon13.gif

About the Grammys I think they won't win because they won last year and Steely Dan (old rock guys) won last year and they will feel obligated by political correctness to pick a woman or patronize another musical genre, I expect Alicia Keyes to win for that reason though U2 is much better.

I really hope ATYCLB gathers a nominaion and a win, even though many people would probably snigger about "the oldies" winning again... well I don't care, I still want it to kick every other album's ass,
smile.gif

I think that Alicia Keys' "Fallin" has the most chances for the Song and Record of the Year, though. But since it's such an awesome, beautiful song, I wouldn't really mind if it won over any U2 songs that might get nominated.

All in all, this looks like a pretty quiet affair... no Eminem this year.

Saracene, I just want to make it clear that I DO want ATYCLB to win but I don't think they will because the Grammys will feel like they have to patronize another type of music. I really don't like Alicia Keyes, but I think that is who they will pick. It's a politically correct choice though not the right one. I hope I am wrong. Still I would bet money I am right. BUT I WANT U2 TO WIN!!
Maybe they will do the right thing and vote for them, they are very popular among those who vote and they have ruled the last year.

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

I just hope they win for ATYCLB... but seeing how they swept last years Gramm's... I doubt it will happen this year!

------------------
Nothing changes on new year's day...
On new year's day...
I will be with you again
I will be with you again....

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Alicia Keyes will not sweep the Grammys. She has had one hit single. The album has done well, but from what I've heard it sounds like a flashback to Roberta Flack. It's true that Flack won a handful of Grammys back in the 1970's, but she was also an accomplished singer when she won. Keyes is brand new, and Grammy voters have learned their lesson by awarding hyped newcomers and watching them disappear within a few years (Christopher Cross, Lauren Hill, Alanis Morissette, etc). They will go with U2 for album of the year, because, and only because of 9/11. It defined the year and will be the voter's way of memorializing the tragedy. Keyes had a jazz/r+b fusion that's been hyped for past few monthes.
As far as songs go: what about Mary J. Blige's "Family Affair". That was a great song. My foot is still tappin'...

Stuck in A Moment will be the U2 song nominated in many categories, it was the 2nd most popular single off the album and timely in post-9/11 era.

OH, and I know a member of the Academy who is nominating it for Best Song! But thats just one person...

Originally posted by Danospano:
Alicia Keyes will not sweep the Grammys. She has had one hit single.

I think she'll pick up the Song of the Year and Record of the Year awards, and that should do it. She was heavily promoted by that one song, and not by the album as a whole. So, in short, I think U2 will pick up best album for ATYCLB.

Back
Top Bottom