Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danospano

Refugee
I've done some reading about this year's award ceremony and it appears U2 are the frontrunner for album of the year.

The nominees:

Mariah Carey: "The Emancipation of Mimi"
Paul McCartney: "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard"
Gwen Stefani: "Love, Angel, Music, Baby"
U2: "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb"
Kanye West: "Late Registration"

Most people look at the list and shrug-off the band because it was undoubtedly NOT the most popular album this past year; that honor goes to Mariah or Kanye (and most people probably heard more about Stefani than U2 in the past year).

So what gives?

The odds makers in Vegas, as well as music journalists predict that while others may have set the charts on fire, the three most profitable albums belong to one genre of music (R&B) and, therefore cancel each other out. This would be a valid theory considering what happened in 2002, when U2 and Bob Dylan split the rock-fan vote and handed the country-tinged "O Brother Where Art Thou" a surprise win.

So, questions:

1) Will U2 win as a result of this R&B-saturated nominee list?

2) Objectively speaking, does U2 deserve to win ALBUM of the year?

3) If U2 doesn't win, who do you 'hope' will win?

Last edited:
1) It's a real possibility.

2) No, but then all the nominations are laughable.

3) Kanye. Haven't heard Paul McCartney's album but can't stand him. Cannot fathom why Steffani/Mariah are nominated. Complete and utter mind bender for me.

I don't get how three albums on the list are R&B. Mariah is pop/R&B, Gwen is pop, and Kanye is rap. I think the more likely scenario is McCartney and U2 will split the rock vote, Mariah and Gwen will split the pop vote and Kanye will win.

Danospano said:

1. Not sure. I fear McCartney and U2 will create a split vote. I expect a Kanye win, but I loathe his music so I hope I'm wrong.

2. Out of that list? By a mile. Out of all releases? Definitely not.

3. I hope they all spontaneously combust.

I think Paul McCartney will win, like a consellation prize for an outstanding career. If U2 wins, big deal who cares, the competition is bullshit to begin with, but I'm sure Bono will see it as the beginning of a rock revolution. I actually hope Paul McCartney wins. It will cause Bono to shart in his pants and rethink U2's whole strategy. And I hope Kanye West goes nuts when he discovers he lost, and in a rage kills someone, which will of course scare the Grammy judges into nominating him next year for best album. Douche bag.

that's an absolute awful list of nominations, they should somehow all lose.

i swear u2 could do anything, and the mainstream would eat it up and ask for more these days.

"they're back, and they're rockin', guys! i've seen the future of rock, and it's u2, guys!!"

Kanye will accuse the Grammy's of "hating black people" if he doesnt win. He already said hes gonna have a "big problem" if he doesnt win Album of the Year. I say go to hell.

1) No

2) Yes, especially compared to the others(havent heard any of Paul McCartneys... so if he wins I cant complain)

3) If Paul wins, I won't mind. hes a legend. If the others... I will just be pissed and boycott the Grammy's next year!

Zoomerang96 said:
i swear u2 could do anything, and the mainstream would eat it up and ask for more these days.

"they're back, and they're rockin', guys! i've seen the future of rock, and it's u2, guys!!"

Please, go force Bono to recite sixty minutes' worth of the phone book, get Edge, Adam, and Larry to play monotonous background music with kitchen utensils, mix it terribly, sell it as U2's new bold adventure of an album, and see how many countries it goes to #1 in.

Axver said:

Please, go force Bono to recite sixty minutes' worth of the phone book, get Edge, Adam, and Larry to play monotonous background music with kitchen utensils, mix it terribly, sell it as U2's new bold adventure of an album, and see how many countries it goes to #1 in.

Numb Part II :drool:

Mariah - please no can't stand her.
Gwen - I love Gwen but album can't compare to u2 and sir Paul.
West - I'll kill myself!

Lyric for lyric over the other nominees- YES! I'm tired of Mariah continuously throwing herself at people just to have her music get attention. Does she write her own stuff?

Paul McCartney - just overall better than Gwen, Mariah, Kayne.

1.not sure how to answer the first question???
2. I do think U2 deserves the album of the year
3. If U2 does not win I hope Kanye gets it.

I own all of the nominees CD's and they are all good. U2 is simply the best. IMO

Danospano said:

1) Maybe?

2) In the overall scheme of things no, but compared to the rest of the jokers on this list, yes.

3) I would've probably said Kanye a few months ago, but I can't stand the guy now - he's a total tool, so I'll have to say McCartney.

McCartney and U2 spliting the rock vote: yes that's true...but McCartney hasn't won a Grammy since 1979, and before that it'd practically been since his work with the Beatles. I'm not saying it's impossible, but McCartney is old news. It's not like when Ray Charles won because he died, or when Tony Bennett won because for an original turn on standards. McCartney has released better albums in the past decade, so this shouldn't amount to much attention. Also, McCartney isn't appreciated by the rock community, like Dylan was in 2002.

For all intents and purposes Mariah, Gwen and Kanye are described as R&B. Yes, their subgenres of the style, but compared to country and rock, they fit into the R&B category and fans of that genre will support them.

Gwen won't win, so I doubt many will vote for her, but Mariah and Kanye are seriously hurting each other's chances.

It's a race between U2 and Kanye. But Mariah has some buzz.

1) Yes it will alter the winner.

2) No. It's a good album, but not worthy of "The Best" title.

3) Kanye. The others don't say anything inspiring. Gwen's music is enjoyable, but not revolutionary. Mariah is simply treading the same waters, and McCartney lost my respect with that atrocious "Freedom" song.

Danospano said:

Okay I will state my opinions on these 3 questions.

1) No. I have always believed the Grammy winners are pre-determined before anyone casts a "vote".

2) An emphatic YES. Not only is it the best album out this year, in my opinion it is U2's third-best album. Is it in the same ballpark as JT and AB? No, but very few albums are. But I do count 9 songs as good or better on Bomb. In comparison, I only consider 6 or 7 songs as good or better on ATYCLB. The difference between Bomb and JT or AB is lack of a clearcut super-great song like One and Streets. But as far as overall depth of good music, Bomb is an excellent album and I believe the best album I've heard this year.

3) I don't really care. Other than Gwen, I don't like any of the other artists. McCartney's been washed-up for a long time, Kanye's too full of himself, Mariah and Stefani's albums are not worthy.

My guess is that Kanye will win it. I like his political views on Bush but I do not like his brand of music and I'll mute it when he gets on stage to proclaim himself the king of all that is music. :tsk:

"George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People" - how does that qualify as political views? That's just an absurd comment with no substance. I prefer his music over his political outlook, but both are pretty lame given the hype.

Danospano said:
I've done some reading about this year's award ceremony and it appears U2 are the frontrunner for album of the year.

The nominees:

Mariah Carey: "The Emancipation of Mimi"
Paul McCartney: "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard"
Gwen Stefani: "Love, Angel, Music, Baby"
U2: "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb"
Kanye West: "Late Registration"

Most people look at the list and shrug-off the band because it was undoubtedly NOT the most popular album this past year; that honor goes to Mariah or Kanye (and most people probably heard more about Stefani than U2 in the past year).

So what gives?

The odds makers in Vegas, as well as music journalists predict that while others may have set the charts on fire, the three most profitable albums belong to one genre of music (R&B) and, therefore cancel each other out. This would be a valid theory considering what happened in 2002, when U2 and Bob Dylan split the rock-fan vote and handed the country-tinged "O Brother Where Art Thou" a surprise win.

So, questions:

Hold on a second, U2 had the 8th biggest selling album in the United States last year and the 2nd biggest selling album worldwide this past year. HTDAAB sold over 3 million copies in the United States and over 9 million worldwide in 2005. Kanya West only came in at #22 in sales for the year and would not even be in the

For the United States, here are the top 25 albums for 2005 for Billboard magazines year end list based on sales tabulated by Soundscan:

1 THE MASSACRE 50 Cent Shady/Aftermath/Interscope
2 ENCORE Eminem Shady/Aftermath/Interscope
3 AMERICAN IDIOT Green Day Reprise/Warner Bros.
4 THE EMANCIPATION OF MIMI Mariah Carey Island/IDJMG
5 BREAKAWAY Kelly Clarkson RCA/RMG
6 LOVE. ANGEL. MUSIC. BABY. Gwen Stefani Interscope
7 DESTINY FULFILLED Destiny's Child Columbia/Sony Music
8 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB U2 Interscope
9 GREATEST HITS Shania Twain Mercury/UMGN
10 FEELS LIKE TODAY Rascal Flatts Lyric Street/Hollywood
11 CONFESSIONS Usher LaFace/Zomba
12 GREATEST HITS 2 Toby Keith DreamWorks (Nashville)/UMGN
13 NOW 17 Various Artists EMI/Universal/Sony BMG/Zomba/Capitol
14 X&Y Coldplay Capitol
15 CRUNK JUICE Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz BME/TVT
16 THE DOCUMENTARY The Game Aftermath/G-Unit/Interscope
17 HOT FUSS The Killers Island/IDJMG
18 MONKEY BUSINESS The Black Eyed Peas A&M/Interscope
19 GOODIES Ciara Sho'nuff/MusicLine/LaFace/Zomba
20 GENIUS LOVES COMPANY Ray Charles Hear/Concord
21 LATE REGISTRATION Kanye West Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam/IDJMG
22 THE RED LIGHT DISTRICT Ludacris DTP/Def Jam South/IDJMG
23 HERE FOR THE PARTY Gretchen Wilson Epic (Nashville)/Sony Music
24 NOW 19 Various Artists The EMI Group/Universal/Sony BMG/Zomba/Capitol
25 LIVE LIKE YOU WERE DYING Tim McGraw Curb

Now for your questions.

1) I strongly believe this first theory about R&B or similar genre artist canceling each other out allowing for a single genre nominated artist to win. But looking at past Grammy award shows going back to the 1950s, I could not find evidence to support this theory.

I think the key may be in the nominations. The stronger you do in the nominations, especially across the top 3 awards, the more likely you will be to win in the big three catagories. U2 unfortunately was not nominated for Record of the Year this year, although they are nominated in Song Of The Year, and Album Of The Year. Mariah Carey is the only artist nominated in all three and she has the best chance going in to win album of the year because of that. Still, I hope the theory that multiple artist of the genre nominated in the same catagory will drag her down and allow U2 to win. But Paul McCartney could drag U2 down as well. Paul McCartney has never won album of the year and is as a big a name if not bigger than Bob Dylan.

2) ABSOLUTELY! I think HTDAAB is the best album of the DECADE, not just this year!

3) If U2 does not win, then I hope that Paul McCartney takes it.

Zoomerang96 said:
that's an absolute awful list of nominations, they should somehow all lose.

The Grammy's are not voted on by the public. They are voted on by 12,000 musicians, artist, producers and engineers involved with the production of recorded music. Hardly mainstream, although there are definitely same mainstream favorites nominated.

Re: Re: Grammy Awards

STING2 said:

Hold on a second, U2 had the 8th biggest selling album in the United States last year and the 2nd biggest selling album worldwide this past year. HTDAAB sold over 3 million copies in the United States and over 9 million worldwide in 2005. Kanya West only came in at #22 in sales for the year and would not even be in the

For the United States, here are the top 25 albums for 2005 for Billboard magazines year end list based on sales tabulated by Soundscan:

1 THE MASSACRE 50 Cent Shady/Aftermath/Interscope
2 ENCORE Eminem Shady/Aftermath/Interscope
3 AMERICAN IDIOT Green Day Reprise/Warner Bros.
4 THE EMANCIPATION OF MIMI Mariah Carey Island/IDJMG
5 BREAKAWAY Kelly Clarkson RCA/RMG
6 LOVE. ANGEL. MUSIC. BABY. Gwen Stefani Interscope
7 DESTINY FULFILLED Destiny's Child Columbia/Sony Music
8 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB U2 Interscope
9 GREATEST HITS Shania Twain Mercury/UMGN
10 FEELS LIKE TODAY Rascal Flatts Lyric Street/Hollywood
11 CONFESSIONS Usher LaFace/Zomba
12 GREATEST HITS 2 Toby Keith DreamWorks (Nashville)/UMGN
13 NOW 17 Various Artists EMI/Universal/Sony BMG/Zomba/Capitol
14 X&Y Coldplay Capitol
15 CRUNK JUICE Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz BME/TVT
16 THE DOCUMENTARY The Game Aftermath/G-Unit/Interscope
17 HOT FUSS The Killers Island/IDJMG
18 MONKEY BUSINESS The Black Eyed Peas A&M/Interscope
19 GOODIES Ciara Sho'nuff/MusicLine/LaFace/Zomba
20 GENIUS LOVES COMPANY Ray Charles Hear/Concord
21 LATE REGISTRATION Kanye West Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam/IDJMG
22 THE RED LIGHT DISTRICT Ludacris DTP/Def Jam South/IDJMG
23 HERE FOR THE PARTY Gretchen Wilson Epic (Nashville)/Sony Music
24 NOW 19 Various Artists The EMI Group/Universal/Sony BMG/Zomba/Capitol
25 LIVE LIKE YOU WERE DYING Tim McGraw Curb

Not a great year for the music industry in general.

1. No
2. In my opinion it was a mediocre album and doesn't deserve to win.
3. They are all mediocre albums and don't deserve to win.

The R&B thing is a flimsy argument at best. For every suggestion of vote splitting like U2 and Dylan making way for O' Brother, there are other years where it doesn't seem to factor in.

My problem with McCartney winning is that while the album received good reviews, it wasn't really talked about much. The last time a less popular album won was Steely Dan's Two Against Nature, and that was after a 20-year hiatus, which was a bigger story, and it had weak competition (like Kid A was actually going to garner enough votes from those lameasses). Also, if they weren't going to give it to Springsteen, a much more relevant legend, Paul ain't getting one either.

I'm a bit torn about whether or not U2 deserve the award. Their album is timeless, and will sound the same 10 years from now. But Kanye's is just so state of the art. It sounds extremely fresh right now, and it's hard not to recognize it as the important record of the time. It's accessible, it's innovative, and it's creative. This site has a lot of Kanye detractors, but I can tell you that many people I know get into this record, and they're not all hip hop fans.

I do feel like The Bomb will look like a great choice when people look back at a list of winners. The album will age very gracefully.

I think it will be hard for the voters to not somehow acknowledge Bono's work and the band's importance. Sure they've won a handful of song awards, but they haven't been recognized with the big one in almost 20 years. Surely they're deserving of being the only rock band to win twice (if I'm not mistaken).

It's gonna be a close one. You could make the case for U2, Mariah, and Kanye. I'll be holding onto my seat.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Grammy Awards

Axver said:

3. I hope they all spontaneously combust.

:lmao:

1) I think it's a strong possibility, though I'd like to think they'll win because they deserve to.

2) Yes, but how objective can this obsessed fanatic be?

3) Paul.

I think we have to consider that academy is not mtv....and so i think that the nominations are a middle between commercial/popoluarity and quality....

In 2001-2002 they had 8 nominations but didn't win the most important grammy....i hope this year they can do....but for me :
west 40% possibilities
carey 35 %
u2 25%

paul and gwen without possibilities....i think the rock area will vote for u2...carey have a lot of promotion on the Us media...but the academy gaves to her only 2 grammies (in 1991 or 1990).. on 15 or more nominations.....I think west is the real favourite because the academy COULD give the grammy for best album to hip hop (an hip hop with fascion...not the 50 cent hip hop ) for the first time.
But you have to consider that u2 are very loved from academy.....

i want u2. only u2. if u2 doesen't win....paul!

1) It's pretty much my only hope

2) Unlike most people on this board...I believe HTDAAB is an amazing album, and not just from a fans prospective.

3) Spontaneous combustion is a pretty good idea, and if not that then perhaps the microphones will go out again (ELE...VA..TION?)and then no one will hear the winner and there will be this huge discrepency and fights will break out and then Kanye will get his posse and Gwen well get her harajuku girls out there....and Mariah'll get her buddies, and there will be this big brawl, and after they've all killed each other Paul McCartney will reign supreme, because honestly that's HIS only shot...Sadly, I love him, but I didn't even know he put out an album this year :reject:

But really when you think about it....why on earth does Mariah even deserve her 1) Popularity and 2) any sort of award....sure her music is fun to listen to, but for the past 10-15 years, all she's been singing about is either a)My boyfriend broke up with me, I am cry b)I love that boy i am smile or c) I know she did not just done go and cheat on me i am kill
At least with U2, and Paul McCartney, and I'm not sure because I don't listen to his music, but at least their music makes you think....

Gwen....I abstain from saying anything about her music cause I love her so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom