Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have missed something here, but do we by now know which of these artists are performing at the grammies? (That is usually a good hint).

U2Man said:
I might have missed something here, but do we by now know which of these artists are performing at the grammies? (That is usually a good hint).

U2 is with Mary J Blige for sure :shrug:

Tallarico said:
.I think west is the real favourite because the academy COULD give the grammy for best album to hip hop (an hip hop with fascion...not the 50 cent hip hop ) for the first time.

Hate to break it to you, but OutKast won Album of the Year for Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, which was just as, if not more sophisticated a hip hop record as Late Registration. Also, Lauren Hill won for her solo debut, which was mostly hip hop as well.

There's no need to make any kind of landmark decision here. It's just a choice between the cutting edge (Kanye) and veterans doing what they do best (U2). The more I think about it the more I doubt Mariah can win. She's won lots of awards for songs before, but an album? Just not important enough.

I'm at work at the moment (it's 10.30am Sydney time) so can't do it myself right now, but something I'd like to see, if anyone out there is bored and wants to kill an hour or so, would be for soemone to get one of those Q Magazine or Rolling Stone magazine lists of the "100 Greatest Albums of All Time" type thing and list the full 100 here, and mark off which ones won a Grammy (any category, but specificaly highlight the ones that won the big "Album" award). I think that would be quite interesting.

Earnie Shavers said:
I'm at work at the moment (it's 10.30am Sydney time) so can't do it myself right now, but something I'd like to see, if anyone out there is bored and wants to kill an hour or so, would be for soemone to get one of those Q Magazine or Rolling Stone magazine lists of the "100 Greatest Albums of All Time" type thing and list the full 100 here, and mark off which ones won a Grammy (any category, but specificaly highlight the ones that won the big "Album" award). I think that would be quite interesting.

For the category of ALBUM OF THE YEAR...
these are the top 100 of the top 500 listed by Rolling Stone

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
2. Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys
3. Revolver, The Beatles
4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan
5. Rubber Soul, The Beatles
6. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye
7. Exile on Main Street, The Rolling Stones
8. London Calling, The Clash
9. Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan
10. The Beatles ("The White Album"), The Beatles
11. The Sun Sessions, Elvis Presley
12. Kind of Blue, Miles Davis
13. Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground
14. Abbey Road, The Beatles
15. Are You Experienced?, The Jimi Hendrix Experience
16. Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan
17. Nevermind, Nirvana
18. Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
19. Astral Weeks, Van Morrison
20. Thriller, Michael Jackson
21. The Great Twenty-Eight, Chuck Berry
22. Plastic Ono Band, John Lennon
23. Innervisions, Stevie Wonder
24. Live at the Apollo (1963), James Brown
25. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
26. The Joshua Tree, U2
27. King of the Delta Blues Singers, Vol. 1, Robert Johnson
28. Who's Next, The Who
29. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin
30. Blue, Joni Mitchell
31. Bringing It All Back Home, Bob Dylan
32. Let It Bleed, The Rolling Stones
33. Ramones, Ramones
34. Music From Big Pink, The Band
35. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, David Bowie
36. Tapestry, Carole King
37. Hotel California, The Eagles
38. The Anthology, 1947 - 1972, Muddy Waters
39. Please Please Me, The Beatles
40. Forever Changes, Love
41. Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, The Sex Pistols
42. The Doors, The Doors
43. The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
44. Horses, Patti Smith
45. The Band, The Band
46. Legend, Bob Marley and the Wailers
47. A Love Supreme, John Coltrane
48. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Public Enemy
49. At Fillmore East, The Allman Brothers Band
50. Here's Little Richard, Little Richard
51. Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon and Garfunkel
52. Greatest Hits, Al Green
53. The Birth of Soul: The Complete Atlantic Rhythm and Blues Recordings, 1952 - 1959, Ray Charles
54. Electric Ladyland, The Jimi Hendrix Experience
55. Elvis Presley, Elvis Presley
56. Songs in the Key of Life, Stevie Wonder
57. Beggars Banquet, The Rolling Stones
58. Trout Mask Replica, Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band
59. Meet the Beatles, The Beatles
60. Greatest Hits, Sly and the Family Stone
61. Appetite for Destruction, Guns n' Roses
62. Achtung Baby, U2
63. Sticky Fingers, The Rolling Stones
64. Phil Spector, Back to Mono (1958 - 1969), Various Artists
65. Moondance, Van Morrison
66. Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin
67. The Stranger, Billy Joel
68. Off the Wall, Michael Jackson
69. Superfly, Curtis Mayfield
70. Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin
71. After the Gold Rush, Neil Young
72. Purple Rain, Prince
73. Back in Black, AC/DC
74. Otis Blue, Otis Redding
75. Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin
76. Imagine, John Lennon
77. The Clash, The Clash
78. Harvest, Neil Young
79. Star Time, James Brown
80. Odessey and Oracle, The Zombies
81. Graceland, Paul Simon
82. Axis: Bold as Love, The Jimi Hendrix Experience
83. I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You, Aretha Franklin
84. Lady Soul, Aretha Franklin
85. Born in the U.S.A., Bruce Springsteen
86. Let It Be, The Beatles
87. The Wall, Pink Floyd
88. At Folsom Prison, Johnny Cash
89. Dusty in Memphis, Dusty Springfield
90. Talking Book, Stevie Wonder
91. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton John
92. 20 Golden Greats, Buddy Holly
93. Sign 'o' the Times, Prince
94. Bitches Brew, Miles Davis
95. Green River, Creedence Clearwater Revival
96. Tommy, The Who
97. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Bob Dylan
98. This Year's Model, Elvis Costello
99. There's a Riot Goin' On, Sly and the Family Stone
100. In the Wee Small Hours, Frank Sinatra

Lila64 said:

For the category of ALBUM OF THE YEAR...
these are the top 100 of the top 500 listed by Rolling Stone

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
2. Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys
3. Revolver, The Beatles
4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan
5. Rubber Soul, The Beatles
6. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye
7. Exile on Main Street, The Rolling Stones
8. London Calling, The Clash
9. Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan
10. The Beatles ("The White Album"), The Beatles
11. The Sun Sessions, Elvis Presley
12. Kind of Blue, Miles Davis
13. Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground
14. Abbey Road, The Beatles
15. Are You Experienced?, The Jimi Hendrix Experience
16. Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan
17. Nevermind, Nirvana
18. Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
19. Astral Weeks, Van Morrison
20. Thriller, Michael Jackson
21. The Great Twenty-Eight, Chuck Berry
22. Plastic Ono Band, John Lennon
23. Innervisions, Stevie Wonder
24. Live at the Apollo (1963), James Brown
25. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
26. The Joshua Tree, U2
27. King of the Delta Blues Singers, Vol. 1, Robert Johnson
28. Who's Next, The Who
29. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin
30. Blue, Joni Mitchell
31. Bringing It All Back Home, Bob Dylan
32. Let It Bleed, The Rolling Stones
33. Ramones, Ramones
34. Music From Big Pink, The Band
35. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, David Bowie
36. Tapestry, Carole King
37. Hotel California, The Eagles
38. The Anthology, 1947 - 1972, Muddy Waters
39. Please Please Me, The Beatles
40. Forever Changes, Love
41. Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, The Sex Pistols
42. The Doors, The Doors
43. The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
44. Horses, Patti Smith
45. The Band, The Band
46. Legend, Bob Marley and the Wailers
47. A Love Supreme, John Coltrane
48. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Public Enemy
49. At Fillmore East, The Allman Brothers Band
50. Here's Little Richard, Little Richard
51. Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon and Garfunkel
52. Greatest Hits, Al Green
53. The Birth of Soul: The Complete Atlantic Rhythm and Blues Recordings, 1952 - 1959, Ray Charles
54. Electric Ladyland, The Jimi Hendrix Experience
55. Elvis Presley, Elvis Presley
56. Songs in the Key of Life, Stevie Wonder
57. Beggars Banquet, The Rolling Stones
58. Trout Mask Replica, Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band
59. Meet the Beatles, The Beatles
60. Greatest Hits, Sly and the Family Stone
61. Appetite for Destruction, Guns n' Roses
62. Achtung Baby, U2
63. Sticky Fingers, The Rolling Stones
64. Phil Spector, Back to Mono (1958 - 1969), Various Artists
65. Moondance, Van Morrison
66. Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin
67. The Stranger, Billy Joel
68. Off the Wall, Michael Jackson
69. Superfly, Curtis Mayfield
70. Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin
71. After the Gold Rush, Neil Young
72. Purple Rain, Prince
73. Back in Black, AC/DC
74. Otis Blue, Otis Redding
75. Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin
76. Imagine, John Lennon
77. The Clash, The Clash
78. Harvest, Neil Young
79. Star Time, James Brown
80. Odessey and Oracle, The Zombies
81. Graceland, Paul Simon
82. Axis: Bold as Love, The Jimi Hendrix Experience
83. I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You, Aretha Franklin
84. Lady Soul, Aretha Franklin
85. Born in the U.S.A., Bruce Springsteen
86. Let It Be, The Beatles
87. The Wall, Pink Floyd
88. At Folsom Prison, Johnny Cash
89. Dusty in Memphis, Dusty Springfield
90. Talking Book, Stevie Wonder
91. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton John
92. 20 Golden Greats, Buddy Holly
93. Sign 'o' the Times, Prince
94. Bitches Brew, Miles Davis
95. Green River, Creedence Clearwater Revival
96. Tommy, The Who
97. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Bob Dylan
98. This Year's Model, Elvis Costello
99. There's a Riot Goin' On, Sly and the Family Stone
100. In the Wee Small Hours, Frank Sinatra

Achtung Baby did win a Grammy award for best Rock Vocal Performance by a duo or group back in 1993. Also, several of the above albums were nominated for album of the year and I think a few won smaller awards just like Achtung did.

Here are the artist that have won 17 or more Grammy awards in their career:

1. George Solti 31
2. Quincy Jones 27
3. Pierre Boulez 25
Vladimir Horowitz 25
4. Stevie Wonder 22
5. Henry Mancini 20
6. U2 17
Ray Charles 17
Alison Krauss 17

Album of the Year is a good place to start, and I thought it would be that low. I bet if you added all the minor categories, the maximum amount of Grammy Winners on that list would be about 25. Nominees would be different, but the Grammy's are probably more famous for their stunning overlooks than their actual winners.

Earnie Shavers said:
Album of the Year is a good place to start, and I thought it would be that low. I bet if you added all the minor categories, the maximum amount of Grammy Winners on that list would be about 25. Nominees would be different, but the Grammy's are probably more famous for their stunning overlooks than their actual winners.

Of course thats assuming one agrees with Rolling Stones picks for the top 100 albums of all time.

Of course, but that is a pretty good list there. It would be very hard to argue that too many of those albums don't deserve to be there. These magazines and various websites seem to be pulling the Top 100/50/500 every other month now. I'd bet that you could pull up a hundred varying lists and still get a similar result.

Unless of course it's the Top 100 Grammy Winning Albums of All Time :wink:

Earnie Shavers said:
Of course, but that is a pretty good list there. It would be very hard to argue that too many of those albums don't deserve to be there. These magazines and various websites seem to be pulling the Top 100/50/500 every other month now. I'd bet that you could pull up a hundred varying lists and still get a similar result.

Unless of course it's the Top 100 Grammy Winning Albums of All Time :wink:

Its still just the opinion of those magazines and various websites. Its true there are a lot of good albums in there, but many would say they deserve to be in the top 500, but not in the top 100, while there are several dozen albums that should be there but are not.

Sting said:
Sting2? Interesting.

Even more interesting is that he's had his account over four years longer than yours. I'd assumed he'd chosen Sting2 because Sting was taken, but if you could claim it in 2005, that makes me ask: why the 2, Sting2?

STING2 said:

Its still just the opinion of those magazines and various websites. Its true there are a lot of good albums in there, but many would say they deserve to be in the top 500, but not in the top 100, while there are several dozen albums that should be there but are not.

Of course. No-one suggested otherwise. NONE of these lists can ever be definitive, and especially not against your own opinions. I don't think those are the 100 greatest albums of all time, but I do think they are 100 OF the greatest albums of all time.

Some of the lists are probably more worthwhile than others, based upon the size of the judging, at least as a guide to the 100 most popular albums of all time, but overall, you are correct. Maybe find that big big Top 500 one, was it Rolling Stone? I still contend that no matter what list you pull up, Grammy Winners will only be a small %.

Sting said:
Sting2? Interesting.

I used to be "Sting" when I first registered here in August of 2000, although it was STING all in caps. But one day in September 2001 I tried logging in and it told me that STING did not exist. I contacted the website and they said it had disappeared. When I tried to re-register as STING, It told me it was taken. So, STING2 was born.:wink:

STING2 said:

I used to be "Sting" when I first registered here in August of 2000, although it was STING all in caps. But one day in September 2001 I tried logging in and it told me that STING did not exist. I contacted the website and they said it had disappeared. When I tried to re-register as STING, It told me it was taken. So, STING2 was born.:wink:

Hahah awesome! And than this stupid newbie comes on and is surprised to find that the name of an amazing musician and one of his heroes is not taken! Sweet deal!

That is an interesting story though! You deserve this name Sting, but the fact u have capitals and many more posts and more history here you will still be superior despite the "2" after your name lol.

But yeah... i hope u2 wins a grammy this year :D:wink:

STING2 said:

I'm not sure if that answers my question or just makes things more odd. :wink:

Axver said:

I'm not sure if that answers my question or just makes things more odd. :wink:

Yes it makes you wonder what happened to STING... the original... perhaps Internet Warp Demons? Yes. That must be it.

Axver said:

Even more interesting is that he's had his account over four years longer than yours. I'd assumed he'd chosen Sting2 because Sting was taken, but if you could claim it in 2005, that makes me ask: why the 2, Sting2?

I was getting a bit frustrated with suddenly not being able to log in back in September 2001, waiting for a response from the interference team being told it did not exist anymore and to just re-register as STING and problem solved. I try to re-register as STING and the website tells me its taken. Rather than ask any more questions or take any more time to figure things out, I just typed in STING2 since it was the closest thing to just STING, and the website accepted it and there you go. :wink:

Earnie Shavers said:

Of course. No-one suggested otherwise. NONE of these lists can ever be definitive, and especially not against your own opinions. I don't think those are the 100 greatest albums of all time, but I do think they are 100 OF the greatest albums of all time.

Some of the lists are probably more worthwhile than others, based upon the size of the judging, at least as a guide to the 100 most popular albums of all time, but overall, you are correct. Maybe find that big big Top 500 one, was it Rolling Stone? I still contend that no matter what list you pull up, Grammy Winners will only be a small %.

Think about it this way though, 1 out of every 5 Grammy Album of the year winners made the Rolling Stone top 100. No ones list are going to be exactly the same.

Also consider that 88 of the top 100 albums on Rolling Stones list were released prior to 1980. At that time there had only been 21 Grammy award shows, which reduces even further the number of album of the year winners that could be on Rolling Stones list.

Last edited:
Sting said:

Yes it makes you wonder what happened to STING... the original... perhaps Internet Warp Demons? Yes. That must be it.

Maybe you are the younger version of STING2, zapped to the future. :ohmy:

Axver said:

Maybe you are the younger version of STING2, zapped to the future. :ohmy:

If Time travel makes 4 of 5 capital letters turn to lowercase, than this could be true! But we should probably steer off this topic as this is supposed to be a grammy thread :D and not about me and STING2's origins LOL...

How apathetic will the audience be?
The 2005 Grammy's had the lowest TV ratings in 10 years.
That with a pretty good telecast with pretty 'name' artists and pretty good performances.

I just don't think that many people give a shit anymore and a lot of people haven't given a shit in a long time. The MTV Awards are a pop culture extravaganza, not abotu music, the Grammy's are about the industry more than the music itself.

I find it hard to give two shits about it and I almost hope U2 loses so they will stop caring about them.

Regarding the list of 100 best albums: It's a list of relevant albums, which was selected in hindsight. Elvis' "Sun Sessions" was important, but at the time who knew he's become the legend he is? Also, the grammy's have only awarded 47 Albums of the Year, so a list of Top 100 couldn't even come to close to being an adequate measure of his topic.

Touching on the subject of whether there's a tendency for similar genres to cancel each other out: It may not be the only case every year, but this IS a factor to consider. In other years there's been a sympathy vote (Charles, Lennon, Clapton, Quincy Jones, Bennett), which could throw it to McCartney, the 'let's be hip' vote (Hill, Outkast, Wonder's nod for 'Innervisions', Morissette), and the traditionalist, 'they have it coming' vote (Simon's "Graceland", Dylan, Santana, Sinatra). These factors can make a subpar album GREAT, and make millions wonder 'why'? Considering these factors, we can surmise that U2 COULD win by default.

Kanye deserves the win, because his album is relevant, revolutionary and rousing to the masses. THAT'S the key to success and honor. While U2 made a good album, it rode it's way to 3 million sales mainly due to their history (which HAS been honor repeatedly...Over 2 million sales were recorded in the first 3 months of it's release...meaning it didn't gain momentum).

Mariah is due for recognition, especially after a miraculous comeback album, but it's true that she's a singles artist. She's not about albums, and never has been. Give her the Record of the Year if you want, but don't bestow the greatest honor simply because she had a song that clicked on the radio.

Gwen is unpolished and while she's entertaining and charasmatic, she's made fluff. She's a step above La Bouche in the quality department, and that will never win accolades from the Grammys.

Paul: He's never been rewarded for his solo work, aside from a couple of minor awards in the mid-late 1970's. There's a reason for this. He's been starved for ideas for the majority of his solo career, and this album was a slight return to form, but not enough to warrant ALBUM OF THE YEAR. Here's a short list of older, established artist, and why they finally won the award...

Ray Charles: died

Steely Dan: First album is 20 years and probably last album to be released. Also, they were snubbed for great music when they thrived. Also, it was a really impressive album.

Santana: Commerically successful

Dylan: Decent album after a lifetime of legendary music.

Bennett: Still a minor mystery, but he was old and was always overshadowed by Grammy favorite, Frank Sinatra.

Clapton: Son's death

Quincy Jones: years of underappreciated producing.

Lennon: died.

Last edited:
Inner El Guapo said:
How apathetic will the audience be?
The 2005 Grammy's had the lowest TV ratings in 10 years.
That with a pretty good telecast with pretty 'name' artists and pretty good performances.

I just don't think that many people give a shit anymore and a lot of people haven't given a shit in a long time. The MTV Awards are a pop culture extravaganza, not abotu music, the Grammy's are about the industry more than the music itself.

I find it hard to give two shits about it and I almost hope U2 loses so they will stop caring about them.

It is the MTV awards that have been shrinking in ratings the past 10 years. When the awards were held in Miami in 2004 was the lowest ever.

By contrast the Grammy's still atract a strong audiance enough so that the "American Music Awards" were moved from its usual January/February time slot near the time of the Grammy awards to November. More importantly, the effect of the Grammy awards is always seen in the following weeks soundscan and Billboard charts.

All That You Can't Leave Behind by U2 vaulted into the top 10 in album sales from the upper reaches of the chart in both 2001 and 2002 after big nights at the Grammy awards. Look at what Norah Jones win of 8 Grammy awards did for her album. Not only do people still watch the Grammy awards in significant numbers, but they also go out buy the winners albums the next week in large numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom