Good God Pop Is Brilliant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Pop!
I have one of those stereos with the timer built in, and in the morning Discotheque is a GREAT song to wake up to. Followed by the rest of the album...:drool: Pop is defianetly under-rated. I absolutely love it.

Pop was the first U2 album that I bought, purchased on the strength of the first two singles, Discotheque and Staring at the Sun. I loved it then, stopped listening to it for about four years, and have really gotten back into it in the past year or so. I'd forgotten what a great track Do You Feel Loved is! My only problems with it are probably Miami and Playboy Mansion. I'd probably have gone with eleven tracks and stuck in Holy Joe (Garage Mix) or, if they were intent on having an unusual track, then their own version of I'm Not Your Baby, which is a BRILLIANT song! Overall though, what a great album! I'd say their in their top three for me, and most of the time I prefer it to Joshua Tree. (Achtung Baby is top for the record).

So in short, Poptastic matey!

Pop is such a masterpiece:drool:
By 1997, when it came out, an after the AB-Zoo TV-Zooropa hurricane, i considered Pop as the greatest U2 album ever

Pop is wow...brilliant

I could not live without the BOOMCHA's of Discotheque!!!
I love all the awesome remixes out there too!!!
OMG...MOFO is the shizzle!!!:dance: "LOOKIN for to save my save my SOUL"!!:drool: BRILLANT!

i think that if no one of the guys had ever said that pop was an incomplete record, none would have ever said that pop sucks.............pop is BRILLIANT, i agree, mate............

I became a big fan because of Pop. I liked Discotheque a lot so I bought the album. Then I was blown away by the rest of it! I don't think the album needs fixing. It is great the way it is!

Can someone tell me which single has Holy Joe (Garage Mix)? I only have the original Discotheque single with the Guilt mix and the Howie B. Hairy mix.

Thanks.

HelloAngel said:
As the years go by, I like Pop more and more, and like the newer records less and less. And that is my opinion, of course. :)

Interesting HelloAngel, as I find the exact opposite is true with me. When I listen to "Pop", all I hear are the flaws and weaknesses. Many songs no longer appeal to me at all. Those which I tolerated before (e.g. "If God Will..." and "Staring at the Sun") hold no interest to me. Various rumors state that U2 may play some "Pop" songs in concert - if it's these two, then no thanks.

That said, there are some "Pop" songs that I think are great. "Discotheque" has a fantastic riff... but I just think Bono's lyrics are a bit weak (back in '97 I argued otherwise). Hence why "Vertigo" will always shine compared to it. In direct contrast, "Please" has some of Bono's best lyrics ever - but sadly, I was never a fan of the melody or music. Something about it just didn't work for me. Even in '97, I felt like I *had* to like "Please" because of what it stood for - saying I didn't seemed almost sacrilegious. Still, the lyrics are so strong in "Please" that I can enjoy the song on that level. "Mofo", however, is a powerful song and one of my favorite from U2 ever. I even like "Miami" - barring the screaming section.

Sadly, it's just when I hear the album, I'm sensing something is missing. And it's not because U2 have claimed the album wasn't finished. Rather, over time it doesn't hold up that well for me.

To be fair, though, I also hear this in JT and "Octobere". All 3 albums have brilliant moments with some of my favorite all-time U2 songs - but they also contain some of my least favorite songs as well.

Albums that have held up very well, IMO, are "Boy", UF, AB and HTDAAB. I can listen to those albums all the time and enjoy them. This isn't to say I love every song on those albums (I can think of several that I would jettison), but overall, when I think of U2, these 4 albums are what come to mind.

Flip yes it is!

Discotheque-4
Do You Feel Loved?-5
Mofo-4.5
If God Will Send His Angels-4
Staring At The Sun-3.5
Last Night On Earth-4.5
Gone-4.5
Miami-3
Playboy Mansion-4.5
If You Wear That Velvet Dress-4
Please-4
Wake Up Dead Man-5

5 stars from me! :drool: :rockon:

xana dew said:
Can someone tell me which single has Holy Joe (Garage Mix)? I only have the original Discotheque single with the Guilt mix and the Howie B. Hairy mix.

Thanks.

It could be just the UK version of DISCOTHEQUE that contains both the Garage & Guilty mixes (I don't know for sure though). That's the version I have, was lucky enough to find it in my local record shop.

namkcuR said:

Mofo - Some hear noise, some hear sheer brilliance. Although Bono admits taking a few lines of lyrics from other poets, he has mixed them with his own to make a profoundly introspective confessional in the most unlikely of soundscapes - a brilliant one of techno beats, thumping-with-andrenaline basslines, and shrieking guitars - for such a song.

I hated MOFO for the longest time but really warmed up to it and now it's one of my favourites. I think it's one of the best songs on the whole album!

I know that the "God-shaped hole" line was written long ago by St. Augustine, but not sure who else Bono borrowed lines from in the song.

I don't really like the live version on the 1990-2000 DVD and wish they had done a "real" video for it.

I love POP! I think it's awesome! But, for the last 8 years, POP! has been defended ad nauseum. I say leave all of the songs the way they are. I like the originals much better then the new versions or the remixes. The new versions are cool, but I prefer the album tracks.
The best way to truly enjoy the album is to listen to it with headphones. This way, all those great sounds that U2 spent good money on, don't pass you by.

^Here here. I usually find the best way to listen to music anyway is with headphones. You just pick up on so much more in the background and the stereo works better (classic example - the Scaramouche bit in Bohemian Rhapsody).

And I agree with unoscatorce in that the video for MoFo on the best of DVD wasn't the best. Hooray for PopMart and all, but I didn;t think much of the performance or editing.

babyman said:
i think that if no one of the guys had ever said that pop was an incomplete record, none would have ever said that pop sucks.............pop is BRILLIANT, i agree, mate............

That's exactly how I feel about it. I think it was referred to so much as a "failure" by the media, who simply didn't get it, that the fans - and, I think the band - were conditioned to believe that there was something wrong with it. It's a shame, because it's one of the most daring and inventive albums I've ever heard, and particularly from this band. Part of what I love about POP is that it's a sonic punch in the face. It has its moments of dark beauty, but the songs are largely made up of jagged edges and bleak soundscapes and exposed machinery - which is exactly what the subject matter of the album demands. POP was not hopeful, uplifting U2 - it was seriously disillusioned U2, and the sounds on the album, accordingly, were battered and raw. It may not be palatable to every critic or fan - or even every band member - but that doesn't make it a bad album, and certainly not one that requires smoothing and polishing nearly a decade after its release. The songs on the album - that is POP, and eventually, everybody who hates it is just going to have to learn to accept it and live with it.

Back
Top Bottom