Gone: Pop or 90-00 Best Of ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The album version of Gone is perfect as it is. You don't go back and fuck with a work of art! You just don't!!! The album version will always be the only one I even consider. :|

edit: :up: to Nisse's post!

I think the best of version sounds really better, specially Bono's voice. But ok, each one on his own... let's see if at least on person thinks like me :wink: :wink:

Oh, and I think that Discothèque best-of version, it's not better than Pop version but it gives something new and fresh to the song :reject:

Nooo!

Like Zoot says you can't go messing with a work of art! Pop should have been left alone, ESPECIALLY 'Discotheque'! They ruined it in my opinion...taking away the brilliant guitar parts from and after the first 'Looking for the One...' and just going straight back to the main riff...:mad:

One more point: Pop version, sometimes, sounds like Bono doesn't sing in the correct timing...

Of course it's a great song in Pop but it became even better with the new version... actually is my favourite song from Pop :drool:

Pop.

The Best Of Version is simply the band showing us what Gone would've sounded like had it been recorded for ATYCLB instead of Pop.

namkcuR said:

The Best Of Version is simply the band showing us what Gone would've sounded like had it been recorded for ATYCLB instead of Pop.

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

I prefer the Best Of too because like Joshua87 said, it's more aggressive and I'm not sure about the piano part in the Pop version. Of-course this is based on what I thought when I thought Bono was singing "suit of lies" not "suit of lights". I still can't believe that "lights" is the actual lyric! :( "lies" sounds so much more condemning thus I preferred the Best of's agressive version. But as he actually says "lights" perhaps a piano piece is more appropriate. :shrug:

TheQuiet1 said:
Of-course this is based on what I thought when I thought Bono was singing "suit of lies" not "suit of lights". I still can't believe that "lights" is the actual lyric! :( "lies" sounds so much more condemning thus I preferred the Best of's agressive version.

:ohmy:

Wow... come to think of it, 'suit of lies' IS a more appropriate lyric. Never thought of it that way.

Still prefer the weird sounding siren wail of the album version though! :rockon:

I remember reading an article about POP when it came out where the band talked about all the songs. Bono said that when he recorded the vocal for Gone he felt that someone had walked over his grave, or that some kind of spirit was in the room with him.

You don't change something like that. Ever.

I slightly prefer the Best of, sounds more like their live performances of it.

However, just want to state that the redone versions of Discotheque, Staring at the Sun and Numb pretty much suck ass.

The Best Of version of Gone is so much better. It's more forceful, more powerful than the original.

Having said that, it is the ONLY Best Of version of the Pop songs that is good. The rest are terrible.

lazarus said:
I remember reading an article about POP when it came out where the band talked about all the songs. Bono said that when he recorded the vocal for Gone he felt that someone had walked over his grave, or that some kind of spirit was in the room with him.

You don't change something like that. Ever.

Wow.

Agreed.

That said, I've actually found the Best Of version to be quite good...maybe even better than the original :reject:

The other remixes are shit though. Discotheque with no boom-chas?! :no:

8-7 in favor of Best Of so far.

Something needs explaining.

There are certain atmospherics in the Pop version that are gone(pun intended) in the Best Of version. The Pop version works in the mindset of creating a musical landscape, a world to explore with your headphones. The Best Of version attempted to make it more like the live versions(which, whether intended or not, makes it more 'rock to it' friendly, even though I find the Pop version very rockable). If it had worked, it may have been brilliant. But, unfortunately, the song became to cluttered and the result was that the atmospherics got lost behind the now more upfront keyboards(they were ALWAYS there, people) and the more abrasive, in-the-front vocal track. Edge's 'down' in the chorus could have been the biggest improvement, they didn't need to change anything else. But even with this, it's totally absent on the first chorus, and nearly drowned out by the overly-loud guitar in the last chorus. Another example of the atmospherics being sacerficed for the cause of putting other things upfront. This is why the Pop version is better.

Best Of version, easily. It sounds better in every single way.

I know this comparison sounds stupid but Elvis Presley and America and Grace both have a great atmospheric feeling and that doesn't make them great songs.

Gone is for me one of U2 20 top songs, and the best song on Pop but best-of version sounds even better and flows better IMO... the feeling of this song it's not in the atmospherics but in the lyrics and in the way Bono sings it... especially the outro and the last chorus.

AtomicBono said:

Wow.

Agreed.

That said, I've actually found the Best Of version to be quite good...maybe even better than the original :reject:

The other remixes are shit though. Discotheque with no boom-chas?! :no:

I think i may prefer the Discotheque Best of if it had the Boom-chas at the end...otherwise i stick with the Pop version.

Back
Top Bottom