Gone: Pop or 90-00 Best Of ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i used to think the reworked version was better...

but then i realized i couldn't really tell the difference!

i think the piano is a bit more accentuated, am i right?

both versions are studly though.

The Best of version of Gone is easily better in every single way imaginable. Better vocals. Better guitar. Better mix.

Come to think of it, the single versions of every song released from Pop are better than the album versions. The Best of Gone is no different.

That said, if the Best of version of Discotheque had the Boom Cha's it MIGHT be better for me. Staring at the Sun, however, is better on the album. But the only version of that song that really does it justice is the live acoustic version from POPMART.

I dislike Pop overall, and prefer the remix of Discotheque on the Best of very much. Death to the boomchas, they were stupid.

HOWEVER- even though I am not a Pop person, Gone and SATS were my favorite songs on the album, and guess what? I DON'T like the remixes of those, I prefer the originals.

MacPhistoPT said:
I know this comparison sounds stupid but Elvis Presley and America and Grace both have a great atmospheric feeling and that doesn't make them great songs.

Gone is for me one of U2 20 top songs, and the best song on Pop but best-of version sounds even better and flows better IMO... the feeling of this song it's not in the atmospherics but in the lyrics and in the way Bono sings it... especially the outro and the last chorus.

I guess you know what I like so that must mean I like the Best Of then

chickadee said:
Hehe the boom cha bit is fab, reminds me of the video which is one of my fave things ever!

Given how many people detest that infamous part of the Discotechque video I always assumed that was why they cut the boomchas out- to kinda rewrite history (or at least provide those fans who hated it a few minutes where they can forget it ever happened!).

For the record, I thought that part of the video was fantastic because it showed a band prepared to laugh at itself. Though the cynical view would be that they were creating a video so outrageously unU2 that it was guaranteed to be a mainstay of music channels for months.......but I'll stuck with an uncynical view for a change!

TheQuiet1 said:

For the record, I thought that part of the video was fantastic because it showed a band prepared to laugh at itself. Though the cynical view would be that they were creating a video so outrageously unU2 that it was guaranteed to be a mainstay of music channels for months.......but I'll stuck with an uncynical view for a change!

I see people here say that a lot, but what they didn't realize is that it wasn't funny- people were not laughing WITH them, but AT them. It was not cool like ZOOTV, it was just plain stupid.There is a fine line between clever and stupidity, and they crossed over on the wrong side. It made them a joke, and it hurt their image and career. They simply aren't that type of guys, and it did not work. It would be like putting System of a Down in Little House on the Prarie. Not everyone can pull off just anything, there are limits. That video made U2 appear apelike, Halloweeneque, and worse of all, like a bunch of good guys approaching 40 trying too hard to be something they're not, just to prove they were. But they weren't. And they know that now. Thank God.

U2Kitten said:

I see people here say that a lot, but what they didn't realize is that it wasn't funny- people were not laughing WITH them, but AT them. It was not cool like ZOOTV, it was just plain stupid.There is a fine line between clever and stupidity, and they crossed over on the wrong side. It made them a joke, and it hurt their image and career. They simply aren't that type of guys, and it did not work. It would be like putting System of a Down in Little House on the Prarie. Not everyone can pull off just anything, there are limits. That video made U2 appear apelike, Halloweeneque, and worse of all, like a bunch of good guys approaching 40 trying too hard to be something they're not, just to prove they were. But they weren't. And they know that now. Thank God.

You are lucky I am reading this from a computer room at Clubmed Cancun where I am paying for internet access, and therefore don't have time argue this with you for the 25023985275204203th time. :wink:

But I'll say this. The Discotheque video is a work of art, it worked off a concept, and I'd take it over any, repeat any, video off ATYCLB and HTDAAB. That's all I have time to say right now.

Can I just apologise now for taking chickadee's comment and opening the can of worms that was/is the discotechque video and diverting the whole thread?

All I'll say is I don't know what the reaction at the time to the video was but what U2kitten says sounds quite likely. I'm looking at it from a retrospective point of view and about a band I love. I see it as a 'fun' video in their long catalogue of music videos, but to other people it might have different connotations, ones that were not always pleasant as U2kitten describes (band being ridiculed etc). And I respect that.

^Reading this back, how self-righteous do I sound?! *sudden realisation that she IS self-righteous* cool. *laughs*

Lancemc said:
The Best of version of Gone is easily better in every single way imaginable. Better vocals. Better guitar. Better mix.

Come to think of it, the single versions of every song released from Pop are better than the album versions. The Best of Gone is no different.

That said, if the Best of version of Discotheque had the Boom Cha's it MIGHT be better for me. Staring at the Sun, however, is better on the album. But the only version of that song that really does it justice is the live acoustic version from POPMART.

I agree.

Aww I thought the vid was just so funny, and it's nice to see them having a laugh on camera. Anyway the funniest bit is the fact Larry is SO not joining in with it, he probably hates the boom chas too ;)

TheQuiet1 said:
Can I just apologise now for taking chickadee's comment and opening the can of worms that was/is the discotechque video and diverting the whole thread?

All I'll say is I don't know what the reaction at the time to the video was but what U2kitten says sounds quite likely. I'm looking at it from a retrospective point of view and about a band I love. I see it as a 'fun' video in their long catalogue of music videos, but to other people it might have different connotations, ones that were not always pleasant as U2kitten describes (band being ridiculed etc). And I respect that.

Thanks. If you like it, that is your personal taste and that's fine. Many things I like are far less popular, but I don't care if I like them. But it bugs me when people tell me I'm 'wrong' when what I said IS, like it or not, basically what happened among many fans, especially longtime and casual fans, and the media.

namkcuR said:

You are lucky I am reading this from a computer room at Clubmed Cancun where I am paying for internet access, and therefore don't have time argue this with you for the 25023985275204203th time. :wink:

But I'll say this. The Discotheque video is a work of art, it worked off a concept, and I'd take it over any, repeat any, video off ATYCLB and HTDAAB. That's all I have time to say right now.

And that is your choice, however, that does not mean that me and the 250.....whatever other people who felt that way were too stupid to get it, or bad fans, like has sometimes been insinuated. And as far as it being 'genius,' well, that's why it reminds me of "The Emperor's New Clothes," a few people think they are the only ones who can see it, and everyone else is wrong and lacking somehow. That's what's always bothered me.

To youtwohearts :wave: :hug:

:| I'm a bit confused really. I just see the Discotheque vid as fun and a really good video. Not really bothered if it's got anything else to it, lol! Makes me laugh, that's all!

Anyway, sorry to have brought it up and said I liked it, seems to have caused a problem, lol.

Not your fault, we've been at this for years, WOWY!:D

I really never saw it as anything but humiliating. I was so embarrassed for them.

If that's how you like it, oh well. I'm just telling you how it looked to a majority of longtime and casual fans, and the media, and why it hurt the entire image of the Pop album and tour. It happened, whether or not you agree it should have.

Wow, if that's all it took to hurt the image of an album I'd be a bit worried... I think that says more about the fans than the band to be honest with you but that's my opinion :)

You don't have to be so sharp with me about it, though.

chickadee said:
Wow, if that's all it took to hurt the image of an album I'd be a bit worried... I think that says more about the fans than the band to be honest with you but that's my opinion :)

You don't have to be so sharp with me about it, though.

I really felt I had been as fair as I could, saying whatever you think is up to you, but you can't deny what happened overall. And that is exactly what eats me up about this, and always has, is the comments that there was something wrong with the fans who didn't like it. The band had a dumb idea and it cost them. It's over, it was 8 years ago, life goes on. They don't care so why should we?

Back
Top Bottom