Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is "Gone" really this good, or has melon just gotten a bit more eccentric?

• Yes

Votes: 61 89.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 10.3%

• Total voters

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Damn...how much I love this song--both the original album version and the "Best of" remix. It is even perhaps my second favorite U2 song (with WTSHNN still being my favorite).

What are your thoughts on the song?

Melon

I :heart: Gone. The music is great, but what really does it for me are the lyrics.

You change your name, well that's okay, it's necessary
And what you leave behind you don't miss anyway

You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you learn to like the way it feels
You hurt yourself you hurt your lover
Then you discover
What you thought was freedom is just greed

God, I just love 'em! Edge's guitar solo is great too, not to mention when he sings the back up "dooooooooown"s live. IMHO, this song is a bridge between HMTMKMKM and ATYCLB. It deals with fame like HMTMKMKM, and the "what you leave behind..." line definitely foreshadows the Walk On lyric (and album title, of course) and the "what you don't have you don't need it now" line from BD. The tone of the line seems different to me in Gone, though. Bono's talking about his fame and how he had to become Bono the Rock Star, and it seems like he's trying to convince himself that he doesn't miss the normal life he left behind. Walk On and BD have much more uplifting messages, and now Bono is sure that you can leave behind things you don't need. What you need is what you have.

U2 jamming at the end of the song in concert really shows the band kicking BIG ASS!

Gone from POP and POPMART LIVE in Mexico City 97 are freakin cool

Gone from current best of & Elevation in Boston are a little bit lifeless , old and boring .

Gone is amazing. It was the first song on Pop that made me do a double take and hit the rewind button. It only got better live--both the Mexico PopMart and Boston Elevation are evidence of that. Edge kicking his guitar doesn't hurt the cause either.

I have yet to hear the Best Of remix...I'm avoiding it until I can actually buy the album and get the full effect of the tracks together, but there is a Dizzy Crayon remix of it that I really, really love.

Is "Gone" really this good, or has melon just gotten a bit more eccentric?

uh, don't understand this. How can I say 'yes' or 'no' to this? Do I hav to answer the first question (Is "Gone" really this good) or the second? (or has melon just gotten a bit more eccentric?) And do yuou mean the original gone version or the 'best of' gone version?

Gone is really a great song! (especially live during their 'elevation tour'). And it's much better than melon. But the new version sucks

I like the POP and Live Gone versions, but I don't think the remix stacks up to the original, I think the remix lost some of the sexiness of the original...

I do like the addition of Edge's "DOOOOOWN" vocal on the chorus, but I wish it were stronger, maybe it was just the sound quality of the streaming at U2.com, but it sounded really weak, I would have liked to have heard Edge full voiced next to Bono, as they do live.

My biggest problem with these newer mixes is Bono's vocals. They sound especially bad when compared to the originals that were only released 5 years ago. I also thought that "Gone" on the Elevation Tour was a bit boring when compared to the PopMart performances.

I'm not coming down.................

Gone is one of my favorite songs ever. Studio version is good, live is better.
The great lyrics and kick-ass music flow together perfectly.
Dark and moving:up:
:heart: Gone :heart:

Last edited:
I already know what part of the new Best Of is going to get the most play. Gone into End of the World into Hands. That has to be the best hat trick on the album. By the way, I love all the versions of Gone, but if you made me pick one, I would say U2 in Boston (Elevation Tour). The little Best Buy promo cd always finds the way to the car for the short trips. Gone is what I am when I drive. :D

When I first got POP, "Gone" wasn't really one of my favourite tracks but the Boston DVD version really sold me!

Live this song is excellent; I love Edge's air siren, the falsetto intro to the "You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy" part and of course the explosive ending.

A great rock song!

Great song, in my top 10, maybe 5. As someone mentioned, I too have thought about that line 'what you leave behind you dont miss anyway'

the version on Pop is one of my top 10 U2 songs, the remix for the Best Of was a disappointment to me, it's not bad, but it's certainly not better than the original

i definately like the remix at least as much as the pop version.

but the live version with them going nuts at the end is way too cool.

in fact, i dont think i ever really liked this song that much until i saw the boston video. now its definately one of my favorites, and makes me wonder that since hands that built is simply not single material, why not release gone as a second single for the best of?

Back
Top Bottom