Going until the end of the world....to defend Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
I must warn you, prepare yourself to read the most disgusting thing ever written against Bono, at least in my country. This is a rough translation of an article in Portuguese, from the magazine Superinteressante. I apologise if something sounds weird or out of place, but I did my best to bring it for you.

Here is the link, if there is a living soul here interested in reading it in Portuguese.
http://www2.uol.com.br/super/aberta/colunas/index_juke_01_03_02.html

I wrote to the guy. You can find my response in the next post. I tried to defend Bono the best way I could. I hope they publish my response. But I seriously doubt it.

Okay, go ahead, if you feel like doing so.

?The Platform of Hypocrisys

Bono Vox (sic!) is the big winner of the Grammy this year. He?s the big victorious of the Superbowl halftime concerts. Is there something missing? Yes, Bono Vox is on the cover of Time this week. The saddest thing is to read a very well written text, like the one written by Josh Tyrangiel to the American weekly magazine and to disagree with every line of it.

What does the article say? That Bono Vox knew how to capitalize, like anybody else, the evidence that the disgrace of 5.000 families on September 11th gave to his demagogy. The album of his band, which was on 108th position in the Billboard charts in August, was catapulted to the 25th three months later. The band started to display the names of the deads of that tragedy on a big screen during the song One. In the 11 minutes set of their performance to the Superbowl, traditionally one of the most watched programmes on american TV, they didn?t play One, nevertheless they put the names of the deads on the big screen again. That Bono Vox, on the contrary of straight and idealist people like Ian McKaye, is the type of person who asks the showbusiness for donations. It might be the most well known of one from a series of his concessions and promiscuities. That Bono Vox loves to repeat a quote from the poet W.H. Auden, ?poetry does not make things happen?, what might explain a fair share of his lyrics. That Bono Vox learnt a lot about South America listening some of The Clash?s records. (It would have been with Sandinista? But Nicaragua is not located at Central America?) And he learnt a lot about situacionism with the Sex Pistols?s records. Bono loves to appropriate from the image and legacy of those who don?t need him. That Bono talks about Africa as if he were talking about his backyard. As if Africa had chosen him and had given him authorization to speak on its name. As if in Africa there were no other thing than Bono Vox?s good heart. As if Africa depended on him for anything.

It comes out from each paragraph that Bono Vox is unable to hide his childish excitement for having been welcome and complimented by the most powerful men on the planet. He might think that one can get power and charisma through osmosis. After having capitalized the disgrace of other people to the sales of his last album, which was fading away until then, Bono Vox stated that his band was reapplying for the job of best band in the world. As if hanging out with politicians and making bold statements could turn the last record of his band into a better one. As if having pictures taken along with presidents and state secretaries could turn the world into a better place. As if his speech, which is preconveived, incongruous and full of traces of melodrama and cliches, could make him a better man. More rich and famous, yes, without a doubt.

Bono Vox has always got me annoyed. Bono Vox as depicted by Time magazine makes me feel sick.?

Now you can read my response, another rough translation:

?I got really surprised by the amount of misinterpretation that you showed in your column, dated March 1st, when you comment about the cover story of Time magazine , with Bono, from U2. You got me the impression that you didn?t go further than the first sentence of the great article by Josh Tyrangiel, ?Bono is na egomaniac?. Yes, he?s an extremely well-succeded artist, thanks not only to his talent as a songwriter and singer, but also to his charisma and involvement with several causes, something that appears having caused great sorrow to you.

Maybe you would rather see some pictures of him on the English tabloids, with the name Bono in large capital letters, associated to involvement with drugs, or to the destruction of hotel rooms, or maybe while throwing one of his Mercedes into the swimming pool. That would be the regular and adequated behaviour that you expect from a rock star, right?

But no, instead of that kind of material, you got to see him side by side with the ones that, whether you like it or not, can make a difference in our world so unfair. And to make a difference is the ultimate longing of this 41 years-old Irish citizen that somehow, maybe, still keeps some of his youthful idealism. Anybody who has followed U2?s career throughout the past 20 years knows that the band, and mainly its frontman Bono, have always been involved on supporting to several causes and organizations, like Amnesty International, Greenpeace and, more recently, Drop the Debt, that seeks for solutions for structural problems that have assolated the poorest African countries for ages.

Please, note that we?re talking about multi-millionares artists that surely could be totally apart from those problems and from other people?s suffering, for the rest of their spoiled lives. The word that comes to my mind to define U2 is, in my opinion, the one used by American MTV jornalist, Carson Daly, when referring to the band during a recent award ceremony: relevance. That's what the Time article is all about, relevance. Bono does not need ?to get power and charisma through osmosis? like you said. He?s already plenty of both.

I suggest that you look for knowing more about the opinion of the American audiences on the album All That You Can?t Leave Behind and its relevance to those people, after the September 11th disasters. Your accusation of Bono and U2 being only selfish oportunists would not be sustained, not even for a second. And last, but not least, Bono has not used the nickname Bono Vox since his early days in highschool."

Regards

That?s it. Thanks for reading.
Maria Teresa

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 03-15-2002).]

follower: this reporter, is he "well known" in your country? Is he "respected"? What kind of paper is "Superinteressante". I mean, is it like "The Sun" or something?
?Cause that would explain a lot
wink.gif

However, he doesn?t seems to know a lot about Bono and his background, what he has done before etc. Maybe he just thought he "popped up from nowhere" or something.
Well, anyway, it seems that some people has too much time on there hands.

By the way, great response!

Blue Saint, Superinteressante is a magazine directed to young adults, presenting and discussing subjects as music, movies, ecology and science. The magazine has a good reputation an has been published for more than a decade. That?s what bothers me more, I mean, lots of intelligent young adults reading all those lies about Bono. The author of the article above is the music critic of the magazine, and he seems to be a competent one. Unfortunetaly I?m pretty sure he knows Bono?s background very well, but he?s kinda narrow-minded, that type of person who thinks artists have no right to do anything but their own form of art, that all a musician should do are good records.

I?m glad you like my response. This guy really spoiled my day last week...

Great response! It is true that there is nothing else for Bono's critics to write about him so they choose to question his motivation in every cause he has given his voice to. He hasn't given the tabloids anything to write about with regard to his personal life so they need to find something else to attack. It's pretty sad actually.

great response follower

I can't believe people taking so much offense to a guy who is actually trying to make a change

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

What a stupid article. And what a graceful and lovely reply you wrote, Maria. Very intelligent. Good job!
smile.gif

Originally posted by follower:
Bono does not need ?to get power and charisma through osmosis? like you said. He?s already plenty of both.

Well said follower! I agree, a very intelligent response. Will it get printed?

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 03-15-2002).]

I don?t think it will get printed Angel, but I just got an e-mail from the columnist. He sustained everything he said, made some comparisons with another artists that are not even worth to comment...and asked me to pointed out, using facts, what is wrong in his writing.

I answered him back stating that I don?t think there is anything to be proved, once he and I have completely opposite views towards Bono. He hates Bono, I love Bono. He despises him, I admire him. He thinks Bono is not a good artist, I think he?s the best around. He thinks Bono is not a good influence, I would follow him until the end of the world. The only difference that matters is that he can have his voice heard, as a jornalist. I can?t.

And you know what? The pictures of Bono and Mr.Bush are on every newspapers in Brasil today. Our Mr. Writer must be banging his head on the wall.
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys, for your feedback. You?re the best.
smile.gif

Thanks deathbear, that?s what I tried to convey, a decent response without further personal attacks.

But it was tough. I could strangle this guy if I ever met him.
biggrin.gif

good work follower, thats a nice educated response as to opposed to some idiot fan saying "how dare you make fun of bono i love him he rocks!"

(Y)

------------------
-deathbear

YIKES!!
Nice going on your replies, follower. No matter how much I tell myself all that stuff's slanted and prejudiced and don't try to teach a pig to sing (as they say: You won't succeed and you'll annoy the pig), I STILL get really bothered when I see it get published. So thanks for writing on our behalf, as well as Bono's... The journalist may have been snarky in his reply, but I know you still got to him *hee hee*

in solidarity, Sister!
Deb D

------------------
I wanna walk with you along an unapproved road

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Good lord do people still call him "Bono Vox"?

Oh well, that writer went into an article with an agenda and an opinion.

Sadly you can't open a closed mind.

Bono learned a lot about other countries despaire because he actually went to those countries in person. It was in Africa that he and Ali were asked by a villager to take their child because the child would of died had it stayed in that village.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

[This message has been edited by david (edited 03-16-2002).]

Originally posted by david:
Good lord do people still call him "Bono Vox"?

Yup, the Brazilian press
biggrin.gif
Even the music magazines still call him that way. Maybe because here it?s not common a person with a one-word artistic name.

Just to update you all, several people from my U2 mailing lists wrote to the guy as well. All the answers present the same pattern "prove that I?m wrong"...But you know what? I have been thinking of his penultimate sentence "Bono Vox has always got me annoyed". A statement like that it?s the prove that he?s biased, don?t you think? So an intelligent reader probably will take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Thanks again guys.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom