God Part II Is Criminally Underrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timothius

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Discuss.

My personal favourite off Rattle & Hum. One of a handful of songs where each member of the band is contributing an absolutely amazing part.

The Bass. The Double Kick. Bono's Vocals. Edge's aggresive guitar work.

Genius.

A pity it didn't make the cut on ZooTV, and would really love to see them pull it out at some point this tour.

God Part II is my second favorite from R&H (behind AIWIY.) I love the percussion, and the dark moodiness of the song. If the band ever brought this one back live...damn. That would just be awesome.

with the way their going now, it might show up on this third leg :wink:

great song, always loved it live, some of larry's best work and bono put down some great lyrics for this track.

Great great lyrics!!! Bono's songwriting skills have no doubt gone down compared to those days. Awesome drums, guitar, bass! There's not one thing wrong about this song. :drool:

I was surprised when this song didn't make it into Zoo TV. It could have fit thematically, and it's the closest thing sonically to Achtung Baby on the album.

One of U2's very best songs, and an absolute rocker live. :drool:

Also, possibly one of the best examples of Larry's drumming - it can really get inside your head!

I love the lyrics too, and agree it would've been perfect for ZooTV (in the same way Desire fit in):

I don't believe in excess
Success is to give
I don't believe in riches
But you should see where I live

definitely :lol:

Shade said:
I was surprised when this song didn't make it into Zoo TV. It could have fit thematically, and it's the closest thing sonically to Achtung Baby on the album.

:yes: Really would have been a great song for ZooTV, I agree. It fits thematically and the feel of it is similar to Night and Day in that it is a transition between the "old" U2 and the "new" U2... probably the best indicator of what Achtung was going to be like, but still very much in the style of their other late 80's work.

You glorify the past when the future dries up...great lyric.

I too would love to see them pull this one out for Vertigo, but I seriously doubt that will happen - then again, who the hell ever thought they'd be playing Miss Sarajevo and The First Time?

So many great, quoteable lyrics in this one. Not poetic, just...awesome. :drool:

"Don't believe the devil
I don't believe his book
But the truth is not the same
Without the lies he made up"

Exactly. :wink:

"Don't believe in cocaine
Got a speed-ball in my head"

That's a cool-sounding line right there.
:wink:

"Don't believe in Goldman
His type like a curse
Instant karma's going to get him
If I don't get him first"

Go get em tiger. :lol:

"Don't believe in the 60's
The golden age of pop
You glorify the past
When the future dries up
Heard a singer on the radio late last night
He says he's gonna kick the darkness
'til it bleeds daylight"

Another cool line.

"I...I believe in love"

:up:

best song of R&H...the link between 80s-90s
without GOD Part II we wouldn't listen to songs like THE FLY , ACROBAT - UTEOTW... as i said in other threads. one of U2s most important songs.

Definitely one of my favourite U2 songs for the lyrics alone. It's time for Bono to get darker again, his 90s lyrics (plus this) are some of his most interesting and passionate.

Great song indeed, but Bono might be stretcing it on the high notes in this song. I really doubt he could sing it with the same flare and power that he did in 1988. Though his voice is hitting quite high again, it could be cool to hear him try.

You know what? I'm gonna dig this up from two days ago just to say I'm listening to it right now and it's probably my favorite song on R&H.

Other that AIWIY, of course

Yeah...I listened to the New Years Eve version the other day, and had forgot just how absolutely amazing that "don't believe in the 60s" verse is.

Holy cow that man's got a voice.

Back
Top Bottom