Gloria video - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2004, 04:34 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 08:40 AM
Gloria video

Featured video for the week on U2 star video

http://www.u2star.com/video.html

U2 when they were my age--

So I'm watching this, and at the start, Adam's playing with a pic, but at some point switches playing without it, and finishes it sans pic.

Was this just something for the video, or is that how he really plays the video. I saw Gloria from the Red Rocks, but I don't remember how it began.

Hehe, liked the early 80's graphics, the water ripple effect.

Wow Larry looks like he's 13-14!

Edge doesn't make "guitar faces" like how some guitarists will make spastic facial expressions...Edge looks completely relaxed.

Why was Bono breaking that wooden fence?

Any excuse to discuss videos, hehe.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:16 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Re: Gloria video

Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme

Why was Bono breaking that wooden fence?
Maybe he took "offense" to it!

Thanks for the link!

Old 07-31-2004, 12:58 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 01:40 PM
Re: Re: Gloria video

Awesome song, I really love early days songs, like "A Celebration", "Gloria", "Out Of Control", etc, etc

I remember the first time I saw that video, was about 1992 I think, I used to listen Zoo TV and Joshua Tree stuff, and I said "Is this U2 ????" I was shocked, I never imagined this was the same band before became famous, and I loved immediatly this kind of music, more agressive, younger, etc

I was less than 3 years old in 1982 so I didn´t start to listen U2 until "Acthung Baby". Now I know every U2´s era... by the way, This video featuring some footage from the famous "Riverboat President Concert" in 1982 !!!! one of the most famous concert from the early years.
THANKS FOR THE LINK
Old 07-31-2004, 01:29 PM   #4
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:40 PM
Oh yeah that's a good one. Larry looks SO young!

neutral @ interference.com
Old 07-31-2004, 09:48 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:40 AM
I love seeing U2's early videos-today I saw the live version of the "I Will Follow" video, and oh, my freakin' god, it's so weird to see them in their early 20s...just thinking about the fact that they were around the age that I am now when they started out (and in Edge and Larry's case, in 1980, they were 19 when the band's first video was made) is just so bizarre.

They all really did look so adorable back then ...who would've thought, huh?

Angela
Old 07-31-2004, 11:38 PM   #6
Refugee

Oh yes! My fave song to this day-and video!! Ponkine-I first saw that video-every 30 minutes on Mtv when it first came out-in 1982!! I fell for Bono in This video-those blue eyes and that smile! ahh To Moonie-I saw that video of "I will Follow' and had that same reaction-THEN 1981! Whew-Bono was so young raw and full of fire! And To:Thrillme-I think the act of breaking the fence by Bono is to say he is 'breaking out'. or 'letting God in'! I never noticed Adam changing with or without(sory could not resist there! ha.lol!)a pic! All eyes are always on Bono in that video-I can't help myself! Oh, and one last comment-larry always looked 13-14 back then-up until UF!! ha-lol! I love the Gloria video and Song!!
Old 08-01-2004, 01:27 AM   #7
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Oh yeah I just saw I Will Follow for the first time a little while ago and you're right, it is really bizarre. Bono's dancing in that video cracks me up every time I watch it.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:46 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 08:40 AM
Hehe, to me, Adam stands out the most, on account of he's moving around the most, and well, the hair.

Yeah, at the beginning of the song, he's using a pic, but at some point switches to not using it.

I'm amused by the simple things some times.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:50 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:40 AM
U2's finest moment, the best song, the best video, the best era, the best fashion......

Forget going to church or praying, I religiously watch the gloria video everyday before every day begins....inspirational....

BEST 10 THINGS ABOUT THE CLIP

1. the guy wiping his nose

2. adam and bono looking like rebels prior to ripping down the fence

3. Adam's hair

4. Edge's Pants

5. Bono's boots

6. the water effect

7. the awesome mulitcoloured barge their playing on

8. the bass solo

9. the beginning where the camera is, of all places, underwater

10. they guy who almost gets pushed into the water

AWESOME.....the greatest piece of art ever made, forget da vinci, the beatles, van gogh, beethoven and shakespeare, this is the masterpiece of all masterpeices.....
Old 08-01-2004, 08:02 AM   #10
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:40 AM
Best music video ever.

That's all that needs to be said.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-01-2004, 11:34 AM   #11
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

huh! i can't seem to play this video. it plays the first two seconds and then stops. i've always been able to play u2 star's stuff.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:04 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme
Hehe, to me, Adam stands out the most, on account of he's moving around the most, and well, the hair.
Oh, lord, Adam's hair......talk about your afro...

Also, that's cool, forbonou2 . And neutral, I know what you mean-I always get such a kick out of watching Bono try to dance, 'cause he...well...can't, at least, not very well. But it's cute anyway. .

Angela
Old 08-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
huh! i can't seem to play this video. it plays the first two seconds and then stops. i've always been able to play u2 star's stuff.
Have you tried downloading it first, then playing it?
Old 08-01-2004, 06:50 PM   #14
War Child

That video was my introduction to U2, back in '82, and I haven't seen the thing since. Is it available on any vid or DVD?
Old 08-01-2004, 07:15 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The Video was filmed prior to the release of the October album in 1981. It does not have footage from the U2 riverboat concert on the Mississippi river in 1982. This video is filmed in DUBLIN near Hannover Quay in one of the cannals that flows into the Liffey.

Great video and the only video actually filmed for the October album. They would later film two video's for War and two for Unforgettable Fire, with two more added to UF by using concert footage.

The Gloria video is cool because you do get to see a bit of Dublin as well as the people. The Pride Video would also have views of Dublin from the same general area not to far from Windmill Lane near the Liffey.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:09 PM   #16
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Local Time: 11:40 AM
Gloria... when they're walking towards the camera with the crowd of kids behind them, *brr*

that and A Celebration... all time favorites, so young but you could see what was coming....
Old 08-02-2004, 09:23 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:40 PM
Was the very 1st video 'I Will Follow"?