Glide Memorial: a church Bono can receive in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebbieSG

Refugee
This may help to explain some of the religious questions.

I go to Glide occasionally and make a special pilgrimage after U2 concerts because I'm in the mood for an upbeat rousing worship and I know Bono has said he likes it there...This past weekend a speaker said that Bono is a *member* there, (which is not uncommon, they have a lot of out-of-towners who join) but it says something about where his religious thinking lies. I won't go into detail about the kind of church this is...set right in the middle of a poor SF neighborhood, its contemporary, inclusive and socially oriented. They have a great website that tells all about Glide, programs, people, worship, history.

Go check it out at www.glide.org

Any comments? (Vain attempt to keep thread going so others can get a chance to see it)

Veranda, hehe, I was about to respond and agree somewhat. I come from a Presbyterian background which is much more conservative and bible based.

Oh so you read it and you're not going to flame me, okay I'll post. It looks like one of those anything-goes-whatever places and I just cannot abide a church that goes more by what people want to hear than what God said just to make them feel better. I mean if there are no rules and no right or wrong and 'if it feels good do it' what's the point of even going and having religion? It seem so lame. It's like if you're going only because you've found someone who will tell you everything is ok so you won't have to feel guilty it it pointless and the meaning and purpose are gone. That's how I feel, I hope I don't get flamed.

From the limited religious messages I've heard at Glide, they do seem to avoid direct interpretation of the word (bible) and focus instead on positive things that God can do in our lives. One nice thing about that is you're not going to get lectured on your sinfulness. It's like all the tax collectors and prostitutes being at the table with Jesus and being accepted. Cecil Williams (the Reverand) is managing to reach a lot of estranged and non Christian people where they are at.

On the other hand, in trying to make everyone feel comfortable, there is not very much mention of Jesus and the Gospel as the source for love and forgiveness. Jesus requires repentance.

I'm not sure if the people who go to Glide wholeheartedly believe in all that the bible says. I don't know if their lives are as Christ-centered as other denominations. (Which makes it a open to criticism). But they do praise God and give him glory. They display love and compassion in worship and in service to the neighborhood. I think they may be ministering in a way that is needed.

Back
Top Bottom