Give me some advice - to listen to the new album or not... today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James U2

The Fly
I went to see Morrissey in concert last night with my friend Torr, who is the editor of the Dallas Music Guide. Whilst there (like how i used "whilst" in a sentence) he showed me an email from the Dallas rep for Interscope/Universal records. It was an invitation to come to a private screening of the new Gwen Stefani and U2 records - today (Thursday)! Torr is going to be in Houston today so he can't go. He emailed the lady and said, "I can't make it, but James Miller will be attending in my place." Sounds great, right? Only problem is that I have been waiting four years for this record and I had been looking forward to purchasing it at midnight when it came out, taking it home and blaring it all night long - hearing it for the first time (Vertigo is all that I have heard). If I go to this screening not only will I have thrown away that opportunity, but I will have to listen to the new U2 record for the first time in a room with people walking around and talking and what not, which doesn't make for an enjoyable listening experience. So what do you think I should do? Go because it's freakin' cool and a great opportunity, or not go so that my first listen (in a month) is untainted?

And obviously, wouldn't it be nice for Interferencers to have a review of the record that isn't from an actual critic, but from a fan?

What should I do? Be true to my four years of waiting, or "take one for team"?

james

in your place i'd probably go. but it's really up to you man. Obviously I'd like to hear from someone who's heard it.. maybe it won't be so bad though and people will shut up and pay attention. Follow your heart, your intuition. It will lead you in the right direction.

It's such unique experience I'd take it. It's just as special as queing for it at mid-night. All it does is replaces the mid-night expereince with an experience you can have right now. Personally I'd take it my friend. And as you said, it'd be great to hear a fan review rather than a critic review.

Go for it mate!! Shut your ears off to everything else in that room around you, and enjoy the experience.

BUT BLOODY WELL COME BACK AND GIVE US YOUR OPINION!!:wink:

I'd go. Once in a lifetime opportunity. Apart from that I've got to clean out the garage and it's not what I want to be doing with my time!

The only negative I see is that if you like what you hear you'll have an even more dificult couple of weeks ahead of you...

but otherwise you should go! you'd be the first interferencer to hear the damn thing!!! :bow:

I have a similar opportunity available to me for next week, if we both do it, we could compare notes :cool: (god I hate smilies)

I agree, this is a pretty unique experience in itself. Hearing it officially off the album in a legal way, one of the first in the general public and a true fan of the band to hear the album, .

At most I'd say like 1000 have heard it so far....that's pretty cool to be able to hear it a couple weeks before anyone else, making the experience and the new record all the more special...

..but that's just me! Plus maybe your being rewarded for your dedication in the last 4 years! :shrug:

Last edited:
OK, I've decided... I'm going to go - but just for you all! I'll be like Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption getting put in the hole for a month and only having Mr. Mozart to keep him company. These next three weeks will be torture. But rest assured, so long as I make it there and back, I WILL post a review from a die-hard fan!

james

Go Ahead,James....it sounds like a great experience. Make sure to post when you get back, thanks in advance!

James U2 said:
OK, I've decided... I'm going to go - but just for you all! I'll be like Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption getting put in the hole for a month and only having Mr. Mozart to keep him company. These next three weeks will be torture. But rest assured, so long as I make it there and back, I WILL post a review from a die-hard fan!

james

Wow, i'm really looking forward to hearing your review, this is exciting :D when do you think your review will be up?

tape it, even if its bad quality you'll be the most popular person in here, to prove it everybody who reads this and thinks he should tape it post "DO IT, FOR US!"

Sleep Over Jack said:

Wow, i'm really looking forward to hearing your review, this is exciting :D when do you think your review will be up?

Assuming that nothing falls apart... The listening is supposed to take place at 5:30 CST. They are playing both the U2 and the Gwen Stefani record, and out of respect for the invite, I will stay and listen to both records. I live about 30 minutes from the offices, so I should be home by 8 or 8:30 CST. The computer will be the first place I go. So... shall we say 9:00pm CST?

james

James U2 said:

Assuming that nothing falls apart... The listening is supposed to take place at 5:30 CST. They are playing both the U2 and the Gwen Stefani record, and out of respect for the invite, I will stay and listen to both records. I live about 30 minutes from the offices, so I should be home by 8 or 8:30 CST. The computer will be the first place I go. So... shall we say 9:00pm CST?

james

Sounds good! Have a good time :)

James U2: You do realize that your virginity will be completely trashed by doing this.

Nevertheless, I wholeheartedly cannot wait for your descriptions of the songs!:drool: :drool: :drool:

Wouldn't it be more exciting to hear the album at a function, the kind of which you'll probably never attend again, rather than just buying it and taking it home?

Go for it James! Do it for us cause you know we'd do it for you! :up:

And I hope you get a goody bag too! Trick or treat! :wink:

Last edited:
CST : Central Standard Time

So right now its 11:11 AM Dallas Time (CST),
12:11 PM New York Time, and
9:11 AM Los Angeles Time

Get the play-by-play for us. See if u can bring a notepad inside and scribble down a track-by-track analysis. :up:

I'd do it, because it would be in full quality and i guess they play the whole album, so it's different from listening to a bad quality beach recording of one song. It's also a plus in your "cool U2 experiences"-book.

i predict your review thread will have many replies :D

Back
Top Bottom