Get "mercy" Released

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WILL PEOPLE SHUT UP ABOUT IT IF IT GETS RELEASED?!?!?!?!?!!!EXCLAMATIONPOINT!!!

If Mercy is going to be one of the key tracks on the next album, they definitely do not want to release it early. Apparently, someone told BONO about how much people love it and he responded by saying he might be in a lot of trouble.

STING2 said:
Apparently, someone told BONO about how much people love it and he responded by saying he might be in a lot of trouble.

Do you think this is because the cd with Mercy on it got out, tons of people have heard it----but maybe they actually wanted to use it on their next album???

I can't really think of why else he would be in trouble :huh:

Last edited:
I think all of you should read your HTDAAB liner notes. :yes:

For information on U2, write to: U2 World Service, PO Box 1810, Dublin 1, Ireland

www.U2.com

email: info@numb.ie

Basically just a way to try to get in touch with the band. Not that I think it would help at all, in this case.

as much as I love Mercy, U2 should not release it right now

first of all- WHY? does U2 need more publicity right now? they just released Original of the Species. U2 are touring the world right now, they are just having fun with their concerts. Another single wouldn't do affect the charts or anything, U2 doesn't care much about that anyway do they.

2nd- it's a U2 song. Their property. Whatever they want to do with it, they have that right. We U2 fans should support whatever they decide to do with it. Just because a lot of people like the song doesn't mean U2 should release it. But it does need some fixing up. It wouldn't be smart to let this current version released. ANY COLDPLAY fans? An unfinished version of the song "Talk" was leaked on the internet long before X&Y's release. Some people on the Coldplaying Forum even like the original version more than the album version. Some liked the album version more. If U2 didn't release Mercy, it was because they probably aren't pleased with it and think they could do better. And we fans should respect that.

3rd reason
Okay everyone, when was that first moment you heard "Vertigo" on the radio? (Or computer if you were sneaky like me and downloaded it) Wasn't that moment special? For me it was. After listening to it, you get to reflect back on it and think how good, bad it was, how different it was from ATYCLB, blah blah you know. Maybe it'll take some time to grow on you, as the entire POP album for me. BUT with Mercy, we've already done that. The special feeling of hearing a new U2 song is gone. We've over-analyzized it a gazillion times, and already have our own opinions on it. While the rest of the world experience this new tune for U2, we'll be like yeah, we heard that months ago.

4th- Maybe Mercy shouldn't be released as a single at all. I personally think it would be awesome to have it as an unreleased, hard-to-find gem of U2. Like a secret us U2 fans should keep to ourselves. Like the next Dirty Day, Acrobat, you know. An example of U2's finest. Sometimes when a band becomes popular, they become "commericialized" and start to sell-out. THIS would be an example of U2 NOT selling out. Does U2 need more popularity? No, we're on top of the world right now. All the magazines and music critics love our band. The concerts is the best live act in the world. I don't care what the radio is playing, U2 is the best band in the world right now. Think of the Beatles, not releasing singles from Sgt Pepper or the White Album. The typical music listener has heard "Hey Jude", "Yesterday", "Let It Be" and the popular mop-tops hits, but what about "A Day in the Life"? "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"? I could go on with the Fab Four, you see my point?

YEah that's my rant against the plan to release Mercy. Maybe U2 should release it when their next album comes out for some publicity, but U2 doesn't really need much right now.

Because I'm slow, can someone shed some light on the history of Mercy (or pass on a link to a thread on it)? I'd gotten it in a package of songs from someone and thought it was available as one of the iTunes Complete Set exclusives....but now I'm searching for it on iTunes & don't see it. Where's it from & how did it get spread around?

Utoo said:
Because I'm slow, can someone shed some light on the history of Mercy (or pass on a link to a thread on it)? I'd gotten it in a package of songs from someone and thought it was available as one of the iTunes Complete Set exclusives....but now I'm searching for it on iTunes & don't see it. Where's it from & how did it get spread around?

nevermind.....just saw the wikipedia story.

U2phan said:

4th- Maybe Mercy shouldn't be released as a single at all. I personally think it would be awesome to have it as an unreleased, hard-to-find gem of U2. Like a secret us U2 fans should keep to ourselves. Like the next Dirty Day, Acrobat, you know. An example of U2's finest. Sometimes when a band becomes popular, they become "commericialized" and start to sell-out. THIS would be an example of U2 NOT selling out. Does U2 need more popularity? No, we're on top of the world right now. All the magazines and music critics love our band. The concerts is the best live act in the world. I don't care what the radio is playing, U2 is the best band in the world right now. Think of the Beatles, not releasing singles from Sgt Pepper or the White Album. The typical music listener has heard "Hey Jude", "Yesterday", "Let It Be" and the popular mop-tops hits, but what about "A Day in the Life"? "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"? I could go on with the Fab Four, you see my point?

I'm sorry... but what's the point?.. what's the point of having a hidden gem?... what do WE win... absolutely nothing. Nothing, specially, because is ALREADY a hidden gem.

I dopn't know how you think of music, but music is not for ME unless is written BY me... music is for EVERYONE. EVRYOBODY...

sure, Until The End of The World was never released as a single, and yet people know it... but what's th point of having a song that nobody knows playing on a show?

Like the next Dirty Day, Acrobat, you know

yeah... like the songs they've never played/anymore

what's the point of music... to make the people come together. If you don't want to let Mercy be known just for fans = people that buy the albums... I don't know... I find it stupid.

The best in music is to feel and see the same things that everrtybody sees, or maybe to see other things that the others don't, but songs are made to be public... not just for fans.

fans are stupid, and try to get new fans out because they're not "real" fans...

and specially THIS song, a song so good that i can't imagine that I'm hearing it all by myself when I really want to make the whole world to listen, to feel, to live this song. I want a concert where Edge reaches that little solo, but every hair in every folicule in evrysingle part of the body of me, you, and the other THOUSANDS of fans in the arena/stadium or the MILLIONS listening at home, to feel.

that's music... and music THIS good shouldn be left in a closet to wait for the "fans" to arrive and take it.

typhoon said:
WILL PEOPLE SHUT UP ABOUT IT IF IT GETS RELEASED?!?!?!?!?!!!EXCLAMATIONPOINT!!!

:up:

it's a great song and all, but come on, it's not like it can cure cancer or cook a great chicken or something.

Overrated

Well when it was cut from the Bomb Bono said it's the "best B-side you've ever heard." Considering it hasn't appeared on any of the five singles, I think they're saving it for the next album.

That said it suffers from the "unreleased hype" syndrome.

I've completely stopped listening to Mercy. When U2 releases their next album I don't want to spend 5 minutes nitpicking changes and comparing it to the original when I could spend 5 minutes simply basking in (relatively) fresh music.

i dont think it should be released as a single , but it would be cool if it was one of the bonus tracks when they release "original of the species" rather than another remix.

I'm worried that a bunch of people on here are gonna ruin its release. If U2 knows a large portion of their fans already have the song, they may not release it. And if it gets radio play they sure as hell won't because they won't want to release a song they think everyone's already heard. Just be patient and wait until the next album.

Back
Top Bottom