Gasp!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Britneys breasts were doctored with some silicone also....

DaveC.....er....Edge....er.....

You play guitar good....I mean....

You are super hot....er....em

Can I touch yer........guitar?

Inner Monolouge: "Stop talking NOW, you idiot." :banghead:

Will you BeDazzle me....???? :sick:

*passes out*

I wish they really did post. Wouldn't that suck if we banned them unknowingly for freaking out on a PLEBA thread or something?

SICY: "Sorry 'Mr. JCPenney'. PLEBA is a peaceful place. We regretfully ban you from ever returning due to your disapproval of those "elevated" photos. Please take your complaints elsewhere..." :lol:

DaveC said:

And is that a surprise? :no: Hahah. I'm just teasin'. Bono's a good-looking guy. A good kisser too. :rolleyes: :kiss:

It could have been a surprise. :sexywink:

And I knew it again! And entire PLEBA knew it! Ha! And nobody believed me!:tsk: Tell me about it....let it be our little secret; here are appr just about 100 people listening to your story about your and Bono's kissing, but.....tell me!:yes: :drool:

Oh yeah and AliRose......you won't ever get Edgie to touch his---guitar in this way of stuttering...:mac:

FallingStar said:

:shocked: She even posts?! Under what user name? I bet Sicy....
Does Ali also post? And Bono? I.....(I'm not sure if you followed PLEBA that long)......don't hope Ali read the Elevated Bono -thread! :laugh: :lmao: That'd be hillarious!

wtf??? :coocoo:

Re: Reasons to like Miami

u2elevatejo said:
Here are several reasons why you should like Miami:

1. The rather funky backwards drum pattern - it really shouldn't work but it does.

2. Bono's style of singing. That laid back 'I'm in Miami' kinda feel.

3. Edges minamlist guitar through-out the song. Gritty.

4. Edges vocals. Ba Ba Ba Bababa Ba-Ba

5. Backwards bass. That has to be the coolest bassline around.

6. Then Larry's drum's kick in with the most hip-hop stylee drum beat ever. Such a bad ass song to drum to.

7. Total madness at the end...

...but a grand madness

MIAMI!! MY MAMMI!!

Jo

Brilliantly summarised. :up: :up:

Re: I have to disagree with your assessment Michael...

The Wanderer said:
I don't think "miami" is meant to be silly at all, the song is dark and swarthy, some of the lyrics are tongue-in-cheek or ironic, but with an almost mocking tone, and I don't think Bono intended people to laugh hysterically at lines like:

baby's always attracted to, the things she's afraid of

we could make something beautiful, something that wouldn't be a problem

and that funky, rhythmic beat, with the eerie synth (particularly in the live version), this is not a fun little summer song, and the added dimension during PopMart of throwing in lines about Cuba hints at Miami's decadence and the juxtaposition with the sister island

bah bah bah, bah bah fucking bah... leading straight into Bullet, hmmm, yes I think Bono was trying to make some connections there

btw, the late legendary American poet Allen Ginsberg liked the lyrics enough to read them off at one of his poetry readings shortly before he passed away, cool stuff man, cool stuff
Of course he was trying to make some connections there. I wasn't talking about the lyrical content in only one context. There is a lot going on here, but if you don't see any humour in this song, you aren't getting the entire picture. Let me rephrase that: it's a different picture than the one I'm getting. And that's okay.:)

PS. How can you not laugh your ass off when Bono half belches at the end?;)

yes, there's a lot going on

well it may be humorous in a sense, but I think in more sardonic way than ridiculous or clownish, and you indicated it's a "throw-away" song, and I think that's selling it completely short

and yes, I'll bet Kirsten Dunst tastes of chlorine!

Re: yes, there's a lot going on

The Wanderer said:
well it may be humorous in a sense, but I think in more sardonic way than ridiculous or clownish, and you indicated it's a "throw-away" song, and I think that's selling it completely short

and yes, I'll bet Kirsten Dunst tastes of chlorine!
Yes, I did say it was a bit "throw-away," but I must disagree with you that it sells the song short. Some of the best, and even most meaningful art is throwaway by defintion. How you might ask? Society throws everything that's really important away. Just as Bono once said, if there's anything really important on TV, you can always change the channel. It's all disposable in the end. I think that's the point of 'Miami'. There's a lot going on, but the band is having fun with it, not taking a serious stance on a serious song. Didn't someone once say that life is too serious to take too seriously? Yes, there is some serious shit going on in 'Miami', but why get your nickers knotted up seems to be the sentiment. Just my opinion, mind you.

fair enough, I just didn't know quite what your definition of "throw-away" was before, but I agree with you to a large extent

my perception of the term "throw-away" is that often people use it to indicate that a song is irrelevant or trivial, and you still may be arguing that in a sense, but not without acknowledging there is some depth and intrigue to it that are long-lasting... and I really feel that though the song itself doesn't offer any answers, it is quite provocative, which is indicative of U2 during that time

Yeah, I guess I should have gone more in depth in the first place. I tend to spout off a bit on this board, without really explaining myself at times. I think 'Miami' is like a snapshot, a recording without the commentary. There's no real moral or definitive point of view, just a bit of reality. Like so much of Pop, it's up to us to come to our own conclusions. We can hit the skip button on the CD player, just as we can switch off the news. 'Miami' is interesting, for me, because there are some serious consequences to some serious decisions that are totally trivialized by the characters inside the song's scope (I'm especially thinking of the "Wanna have your baby" and "wouldn't be a problem, at least not in Miami," lines). It's like a microcosm of that faction of society, and how things get played out. The moment becomes a temporary coating for possible disaster, that only dissolves much later: "We only went there for a week..."

Back
Top Bottom