Gangs of NY movie ads? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2002, 05:06 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:29 AM
Gangs of NY movie ads?

I've noticed that they haven't been showing very many. Actually, the only one I've seen is a bunch of fast clips of the film and then it says "Gangs of New York" and then "music by U2" or something to that effect. I wonder why they're not advertising more? I'd like to see an ad with "Hands" playing in the background or something. And it's a little worrisome because the new LOTR comes out next Wednesday and I have seen SCADS of ads for that. What gives?

Old 12-14-2002, 05:27 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Wertsie Love your signature, ya got the pic of Larry and my aunt (minus my aunt) blown up on your wall! Nice to see someone is enjoying the pics we took that day!

You are so right, the ads for Gangs are SO damn quick... its hard to even get an idea of the movie.... and damnit I thought the same thing, why no Hands in the background? I just hope the song is actually used in the main film not just during the credits...

Old 12-14-2002, 05:33 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2SJ
Wertsie Love your signature, ya got the pic of Larry and my aunt (minus my aunt) blown up on your wall! Nice to see someone is enjoying the pics we took that day!

You are so right, the ads for Gangs are SO damn quick... its hard to even get an idea of the movie.... and damnit I thought the same thing, why no Hands in the background? I just hope the song is actually used in the main film not just during the credits...
You took that picture?!! I had no idea! It's one of my favorite Larry pictures, if not my absolute favorite. Very cool!
Old 12-14-2002, 05:53 PM   #4
Refugee

Actually I was not the one who took the pic, while my cousin and I were getting Adams' autograph, my mom and my aunt were farther down the line of fans, and when we were all done my aunt told us "Someone took a picture of me and Larry with my camera" ... me and my cousin were so jealous of that pic when we saw how amazing it came out
Old 12-14-2002, 06:25 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2SJ
Actually I was not the one who took the pic, while my cousin and I were getting Adams' autograph, my mom and my aunt were farther down the line of fans, and when we were all done my aunt told us "Someone took a picture of me and Larry with my camera" ... me and my cousin were so jealous of that pic when we saw how amazing it came out
It is an amazing pic, your aunt is SO lucky!

Oh, and Wertsie, I've only seen that one ad for GONY that you mention.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:04 PM   #6
Babyface

There was a longer trailer on the History Channel a little while ago during a program called "The Irish in America" On Monday there is an hour long show about it.

History vs. Hollywood
Gangs of New York
Monday , December 16 11:00 PM-12:00 AM

Find out what's history and what's Hollywood as our experts examine Martin Scorsese's "Gangs of New York". Set against the backdrop of the infamous Five Points, an area of Manhattan formerly described as the world's worst slum, the film focuses on the powerful Irish and Italian gangs. Scorsese takes host Josh Binswanger on a tour of what was once Five Points, where outlaws, crooked cops, and corrupt politicians flourished in the 1800s. Includes interviews with Leonardo DiCaprio and Cameron Diaz. TV G
Old 12-14-2002, 09:41 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Oh, and I should mention that I DID see a really long trailer for it (well, probably the usual length of a movie trailer) in the theatre a couple months back. It looks fantastic! I just hope people know about it and go watch!
Old 12-15-2002, 05:11 PM   #8
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i know!

i've just mainly seen the posters they have up in the movie theatres and the teeny blurbs they're passing off as commercials. howevah, my dad watched that history channel documentary on it.

opening week, when they announce how much the movie grossed and how many people saw it, just know that 7 of the people who went to see it were me, my husband, my parents, his parents, and his brother. we're probably going to go see it on christmas day.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:06 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
I'm kind of surprised that the trailers haven't been shown very much. I had mentioned to my best friend that I really wanted to see the movie and she commented that she hadnt seen a preview of it. Turns out that she did know about the movie after seeing Daniel Day-Lewis on Charlie Rose. They must be counting on publicity, interviews etc to drive people to the theater. It looks like a fabulous film so I hope that people will go see it.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:22 AM   #10
War Child

Actually, I've seen a quite a few of them, although most of them were quick ones...just a hour ago, I saw one that was fairly long (as far as movie ads go). I do wish they would show one that has the song as a backdrop for it, though.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:11 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:29 AM
i've actually seen a lot of trailers of late, complete with the "featuring the hands that built america by u2" clip at the end. and if ya go to the movies, if ya can afford to that is, the trailers are on just about every damn movie, usually followed by the clips for catch me if you can, leo dicaprio's other movie comming out in december.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:59 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i've actually seen a lot of trailers of late, complete with the "featuring the hands that built america by u2" clip at the end. and if ya go to the movies, if ya can afford to that is, the trailers are on just about every damn movie, usually followed by the clips for catch me if you can, leo dicaprio's other movie comming out in december.
That's good to hear. Maybe it's just my area that's really bad. Or maybe I'm watching the wrong TV stations!

If I see one more ad for LOTR I'm going to have to throw something at the tv, I swear!!!
Old 12-17-2002, 06:46 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:29 AM
It's worth pointing out that rarely are any songs in a movie used in a trailer - and vice versa. Trailers are made well before a movie is finished and often music is chosen that will emphasize the footage in the trailer. This is why so few "Gangs" trailers will have the U2 song in them.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:27 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
It's worth pointing out that rarely are any songs in a movie used in a trailer - and vice versa. Trailers are made well before a movie is finished and often music is chosen that will emphasize the footage in the trailer. This is why so few "Gangs" trailers will have the U2 song in them.
That's true.

Also, I'm wondering whether the song will be used just in the end credits...I mean, it IS a period movie, so we'll see...

Ooh...This morning while I was watching The Today Show they had a longer promo for the movie, and Daniel Day Lewis was on too.