GA lines: the good, the bad and the ugly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabby

Refugee
I know several of you were at numerous U2 concerts, so let's hear your war stories of the GA lines, be they dreams, nightmares or just boring. I was in the one in Charlotte, but that was early in the tour before word got out about the heart and the crowds started to conglomerate. I've heard some really wild stories about just how far people would go to get a spot, and what some fans would do to each other. Please tell your tales!

I was in the GA line in Detroit. I honestly didn't mind it most of the time. The people around me were really cool and everything...however, after the security people had us put our chairs and stuff away and start lining up closer to the Palace, I saw lots of people that had just arrived cutting in line, and the security people weren't willing to do anything about it. That really pissed me off. Also, once we finally got down into the heart, they kept running out of wristbands, and I heard that they turned several people away, which they weren't supposed to do. Once you got in the heart, you were supposed to be able to stay there. And there was PLENTY of room for more people!

This is why I'm kind of hoping they don't do GA next time...If they do, I will definitely get a GA ticket because I want to be close, but I think I'd rather pay a little extra and get an actual seat.

There was a riot in the GA line in Atlanta in March of 2001. I don't know if anyone who was there posts here...

But the riot was caused by the idiot security people from Phillips Arena separating the GA line, and then letting the back end of the line (the ppl who got there 5 minutes before the doors opened) go in first.

Well, those of us who had been there for hours ran at the BackEnders, nearly got punched by the security people, and managed to squeeze through the VERY thin doors to get in before the BackEnders.

The BackEnders actually started screaming at us!!! Thinking they had EVERY right to go in first - before those of us who were starving, hot and exhausted and had waited! It was terrible - and the venue security did NOTHING to stop what was happening once ppl started squeezing through doors. Awful awful.

most of the troubles i heard about were caused by security who were acting like big-shots and wouldn't agree to the setup the fans had & U2 knew of.

HelloAngel, I would have been quite upset at the backenders!!!! (I'm sure some people say keep it in perspective but you wait all day to be a certain # and then security totally f's up w/o even regarding the system... :tsk: :angry: )

I should add that of my 7 shows I had terrific GA experiences. Everything was orderly, people respected the "line" and the number system as much as could be expected and the people in the GA lines definitely, definitely made the day enjoyable and memorable. :hug: :heart:

Last edited:
I would just like to add that the Las Vegas GA line was like buttah. The security were so friendly and so accomodating. They happily answered your questions and respected the numbers system. I wish all of the lines could have been like that!

Well - it was also kick ass because of all the Interferencers hanging out with each other!!! :heart: :sad: :wave:

HelloAngel said:
There was a riot in the GA line in Atlanta in March of 2001.
i tried my best to get to that concert. i was in atlanta during saint paddy's day weekend in 2001, and was bummed that if i'd waited around for another week or so i could've seen them in concert. i'm glad i didn't try to. i never heard about the riot!

HelloAngel said:
There was a riot in the GA line in Atlanta in March of 2001. I don't know if anyone who was there posts here...

But the riot was caused by the idiot security people from Phillips Arena separating the GA line, and then letting the back end of the line (the ppl who got there 5 minutes before the doors opened) go in first.

Well, those of us who had been there for hours ran at the BackEnders, nearly got punched by the security people, and managed to squeeze through the VERY thin doors to get in before the BackEnders.

The BackEnders actually started screaming at us!!! Thinking they had EVERY right to go in first - before those of us who were starving, hot and exhausted and had waited! It was terrible - and the venue security did NOTHING to stop what was happening once ppl started squeezing through doors. Awful awful.

That's terrible! When I was at the one on the last leg, people told stories of how security told them to line up at one door, then opened a different one! They must have been really determined not to get screwed again because there were people there taking names and writing numbers on your hand to correspond. They were just fans, but when the guys who worked there came out to let the line in, one of them yelled "DO YOU HAVE A NUMBER? IF NOT, GO TO THE BACK OF THE LINE!! THESE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN HERE ALL DAY!! The line cheered. I don't think there was any problem.

In Baltimore, stories went down the line about cutters in other cities, so all the people around me made a pact to stick together and make a gauntlet out of our bodies if anyone tried to break the line. Once we got as far as the barricades, a group of teenage girls with painted faces and pom poms in their ponytails and short shorts tried to sneak in, but after being repelled 3 times finally gave up.

Besides all the controversy, how do you all feel about the lines as far as which ones were best to wait in because of nearby food and bathroom facilities? Baltimore was horrendous in that category, and the sidewalk was filthy. It was a bad part of town and a long walk to anyplace to eat or go to the bathroom. Atlanta by contrast was adjacent to the CNN center which contained a mall with a huge food court, so everyone was good to go there!

A friend of mine went to the Atlanta show also and said the same thing. The worst I heard though was the San Diego show. Some girl was almost crushed because of the venue handling at that one.

The Detroit show I also saw alot of cutting, The Palace security is awful, it always has been. I have heard from Bruce fans that the Bruce GA line at the Palace in August was handled even worse than the U2 one.

The United Center in Chicago did a decent job with the GA line. Although it was mostly fans policing themselves.

My horror story for the GA line was the Chicago 3rd leg shows. In particular the 10-16-01 show. Some of the crappiest weather to experience. Rain, cold and wind, all night and all day. It was hell. But worth it to get in the heart.

Still overall, I did fine. 7 out of 8 shows I had GA tickets for and I got in the heart 7 times, once front row right in front of Edge (5-13-01).

I liked GA in that if you wanted to pay the price and the venue security didnt screw things up you got to see the band up close. I thought the camping out all day though drained all of my energy (in particular the 3rd leg) and it caused me to not enjoy the Elevation tour quite as much as I did Popmart. Popmart Propaganda came through, I got to see the band up close and didnt have to camp out all day and night. It was wonderful. Next tour if they do GA I will probebly get a GA ticket for a show or two, but for the most part I'am going to go with reserved seating the next time and enjoy my day in a great city like Chicago for example.

Blue Room said:
I liked GA in that if you wanted to pay the price and the venue security didnt screw things up you got to see the band up close. I thought the camping out all day though drained all of my energy (in particular the 3rd leg) and it caused me to not enjoy the Elevation tour quite as much as I did Popmart. Popmart Propaganda came through, I got to see the band up close and didnt have to camp out all day and night. It was wonderful. Next tour if they do GA I will probebly get a GA ticket for a show or two, but for the most part I'am going to go with reserved seating the next time and enjoy my day in a great city like Chicago for example.

:yes: That was the thing. I was so drained by the time the guys came onstage that I just couldn't enjoy it as much! :(

Even though I was worn out, once U2 hit the stage I got a renewed burst of energy! Nothing compares to Elevation for me. I always did wonder why they made us camp though. I mean, half the people up front in those lines went back to their hotel most of the day, and we covered for each other going to eat and stuff, so what would be the difference if we just showed up in the morning, got our number and returned at showtime? Of course there would be a line in the morning but better once than all day, and the venue would have to prefer not having people laying on the sidewalk all day, leaving blankets and garbage, and looking like a homeless colony or a protest (I've been accused of both in line by passersby LOL) But still I guess people would camp to get a number, but if the cops ran them off and only let them line up at the right time it would solve that. Maybe that would work.

I had 3 GA experiences, Phoenix 1st leg was a semi-nightmare because like some of the stories above, security formed lines all around the arena, and those of that were there from dawn, got screwed at the last minute. We still made it into the heart, but sadly I think a lot of people that had been there all day did not.
Then came LA 11/12, which was a wonderful experience, we got in line a 6:00 am and met loads of fun people and everyone got along, and security was awesome, there was only one line and they had even put up barriers so that noone could cut in. We got soaked the last hour or so before they let us in, and there was a bit of chaos in the last moments, but over-all it was done fairly and very organized.
Then came my NIGHTMARE in Oakland, 11/15, my friend and I lined up at 6:45 am and thanks to some organized fans we got our numbers, we were #55 or so, the entire day went very smooth, again we had barriers and everyone followed the number system pretty well, but when the time came to enter the Arena, I got stopped by security....by a VERY, very large security dude who literally took me OUT! He asked me to look in my bag, and then he and some chic security looked into my butt-pack, saw my camera, and told me I had to go back to the car. OK, yeah right in the mad rush I was going back to my car, and after waiting 14 hours not get in??? So I started arguing with them, I told them I would give them my film, anything, they just kept saying no, that I would have to go back to the car, or give up my camera. So the next thing I know, I found myself running as fast as I could down the ramp to the entrance, when I feel someone picking me up from behind! The security guy had picked me up and CARRIED ME OUT to the top of the ramp! I was horrified. He told me that I was not allowed to go back in. So I honestly started throwing a fit, I begged the jerk to let me back in. My friend pleaded to him to let us back in, and finally he told me that if I gave him my camera I could go in. So they took my camera, and I never saw it again. This pissed me off SO bad! The security was really rough with me, it was a terrible experience that I will never forget! However my girlfriend still cracks up about it, she said I looked like a crazed fool, running away from the security like that, and then she said when he had me in his arms and was carrying me out, I was kicking my feet around like a 2 year old :lol: The crazy things U2 makes me do:yes:

I had 3 GA experiences..In columbus and baltimore it was good. Atlanta (Nov 30th) there was soo much cutting. someone yelled at the people and what they said they did was get their numbers and leave..then come back at like 6. I was pissed too. but most of it was good.

the good: How i became friends with so many others and the U2 sing song we had, getting front row!

the bad: me geting warm on a bottle of scotch (but i made it through)

the ugly: Some guy trying to jump the fence but falling 9 feet and being taken away by ambulence and then him trying to sell his ticket before they took him!!!!

Calgary April 11

Blue Room said:

The United Center in Chicago did a decent job with the GA line. Although it was mostly fans policing themselves.

My horror story for the GA line was the Chicago 3rd leg shows. In particular the 10-16-01 show. Some of the crappiest weather to experience. Rain, cold and wind, all night and all day. It was hell. But worth it to get in the heart.

God. That was a truly, truly horrible day. My shoulders were actually sore from shivering for 18 hours straight. To make it even better, we forgot food. The only thing we ate between 6pm on the 15th and 3pm on the 16th was a Jolly Rancher and a package of sixlets we split between ourselves. What a feast! :crazy:

St. Louis had some shit-ass weather as well. Not so windy as Chicago, but just constant cold and sleet, for which my coat acted as a giant sponge. You could have squeezed me out and had enough water to give to the whole GA line. Thankfully, some REALLY REALLY nice people took me to Wal-Mart to buy a tent and lent me blankets, pillows, etc.

Both those shows were in stark contrast to the May 16th show where, after standing in direct sunlight for 6 hours, I got the worst sunburn of my entire life. Couldn't there just be a day when I was in line and it was 70 degrees with a gentle breeze? :huh:

Also, I have to say the Chicago security was excellent, especially in comparison to other GA experiences I've had. Everyone went in single file, with a good amount of space between and security guards forming the line you had to follow. Everything went smoothly with the wrist-bands, etc. Very organized. In St. Louis it was a freakin free for all to see who could get to the heart first. And then once we got there, one side just streamed in while the rest of us had to wait while the dumbest security guard INDIVIDUALLY TORE EACH WRISTBAND. I ended up standing next to people who had gotten there 12 hours after me. Also, on October 16th in Chicago, two incredibly brash women showed up at 5pm and demanded to go to the front of the line. Security simply would not let them. We were a couple cold blasts of rain away from removing their livers with a spork, but since we felt like security was on our side, we refrained. lol.

I gotta say, though. In spite of all the crap we had to put up with, I really enjoyed my GA experiences. The commeraderie it built between fans was amazing. People gave me food, shelter, and bootlegs. One guy even set up a grill and gave out brats and hot dogs. I wish there were some way to prevent people from lining up 2 days ahead of time cause it got a little crazy towards the end of the tour, but in spite of that I really hope they do GA again for the next tour. Good times. :)

8 shows, only 2 GA's, only 1 of the 2 did I "wait" in an attempt to get in the heart. Got to Anaheim #2 (04/24/01) at about 8:30am, was about #30 in line (this was before everyone numbered themselves) and while it wasn't the smoothest at about 6:00pm when security wanted to divide the one line into 4, me and the wifey still made it in the heart.

If you have the video you can CLEARLY see us at the inside tip of the heart with the annoying lightsticks throught the video.

Only other show I did GA for was 11/19/01, and was taping so I wanted to be outside the heart about 15 feet back. Went in at about 7:00pm (hung outside the nice line at Staples Center) and went in...No problems...

the line in SJ was rigidly organized and instructions given in written form. we read all instructions and followed them as best we could. after we got a wristband, we were allowed to leave to put things back in our cars. then they gave us a tour wristband around 3:30 so we could prepare to file in calmly and with little shoving to get into the GA area. we waited for about an hour and procured drinks and found bathrooms before the show started. then the show started. we forgot all about the long, tiring, and semi dry (it was drizzling outside, an unusual weather) wait under the "roof" on the side of the building. it was fun! i think U2SJ got bono's autograph, or picture or something :)

I went to 7 Elevation shows and 6 of those were in GA lines. I kind of got obsessed after the 1st experience at Anaheim #2. Just great. I mostly went alone because nobody around me likes U2 but it was great because I got to meet some great fans waiting in line!! I do have to say that the Vegas show as well as the Los Angeles lines went smoothly. Well worth the wait and effort!!! The added bonus for me was getting 3 autographs during this whole tour! I wasn't really even going to attempt it because I have crappy luck BUT somehow I got them and they are happily displayed in my room nicely framed with some cool pics I took of them!!

So as you can see I am one very happy U2 camper!!!:yes:

I'm proud to say I was at the first Elevation show in Miami, and we had no idea what to expect. Security was tight, and I lost a camera(disposable, thank God!) out of the deal, but we ended up getting up close to the outside tip of the heart(A feat I repeated in Tampa almost 9 months later). I was standing not even ten feet from Bono when he took his infamous tumble into the photographers' pit that night! It was a unique experience not knowing anything about the tour setup or setlists. The GA line situation seemed to run smoothly, though, that night!

Fast forward to Tampa, December 1st...it seemed pretty screwed up, to be honest. Lots of people who waited all day got screwed over, shouting at security, etc. I still got a goot spot on the floor...so I can't complain!

From personal experience, what I remember, and what I have read here.

The best GA situations were:

San Jose (I think this venue probebly handled it the best)
Chicago
Minneapolis

(there were other venues that did a decent job as well, but these venues did VERY well)

The worst were:

San Diego (possible injuries or close)
Atlanta (chaos)
Montreal
and of course the infamous Boston 6-6 ;)

There were other venues that handled it poorly (Detroit, Phoenix 3rd leg, etc) but these 4 seem to have had the most extreme situations of poor handling.

I think U2's security team should have taken charge of the situation at each venue. Then at least it would have been handled uniformley and there probebly would have been way less problems.

I was in the 10-24 line in NYC. It was perfect. i got there at 2:30 and was number 219. we don't line up early in NYC for the most part. then they took the line forward and in the building and then down to the floor. In the process of all of this, people cut the line. When you got to the table they were handing out the bracelets at they asked for numbers. If you didn't have one, they sent you to the back of the line. worked quite well.

make friends with security and it works fine. and security has to be cool.

I was in the horrible Chicago 10/16 line too!!! Security was fine and the fans policed themselves, but my friend and I nearly froze our asses off! I wasn't warm again until U2 hit the stage.

I was also at the 5/16 Chicago show, and I didn't have any problems.

5/9 Milwaukee: My friend and I left the line to go around and see Bono and Larry, and when we returned the line had jumbled up into one big sea of people. :mad: I'm not sure what happened since we weren't there to witness it, but we still got a good spot in the heart so it all worked out. The only problem was that my feet were killing me after the show because I had to be on my feet from about 4:30 (when the line bunched up) till after the show.

Last edited:
I encountered trouble with 2 young couples who tried to force their way into the line just as the doors were opening. They had NOT been there before and we had been given sharpie numbers and they didn't have any. They lied and said someone told them numbers didn't matter, if you were there it was your spot. Some people started getting mad, and when I went up to join them in complaining, they took me for a cutter and ran and told security on me. It was a big mess. The cutters stuck around, but when we went through the doors, I ended up with a faster wristband line than them and got a better spot :D

I am curious, having never been in the GA line, how does it work? Do you have to wait in line all day before the show opens? How do you go to the bathroom, or get something to eat? Also, if you have a bunch of stuff with you while you are waiting (chair, blanket, etc.,) what do you do with it when you go into the arena?

dipster said:
I am curious, having never been in the GA line, how does it work? Do you have to wait in line all day before the show opens? How do you go to the bathroom, or get something to eat? Also, if you have a bunch of stuff with you while you are waiting (chair, blanket, etc.,) what do you do with it when you go into the arena?

Question 1- yes, and the earlier you get there the better. Some people slept there all night!

Question 2- hope there is something nearby and somebody will hold your spot.

Question 3- The venue workers come out around an hour before they let you in and tell you to take your stuff back to the car now. Then you just have to stand up the rest of the time. If you didn't come by car and have nowhere to take your crap back to I guess you just have to leave it and take a chance it won't be stolen or thown away before you get back.

Now, I was going to say- don't you guys just HATE it when you're running down the steps to the arena floor, your heart pounding, hoping the spot you want is still there, and the guards are all going "Slow down! No running!" like Elementary school safety patrols? Sorry, but this is U2, and I'm running as fast as I can! (not to stand still!)

SamanthaPuff said:

Now, I was going to say- don't you guys just HATE it when you're running down the steps to the arena floor, your heart pounding, hoping the spot you want is still there, and the guards are all going "Slow down! No running!" like Elementary school safety patrols? Sorry, but this is U2, and I'm running as fast as I can! (not to stand still!)

Honestly, no I dont. If they didnt it would be chaos once you were inside and I guarantee you someone would trip, fall and injure themselves in the process. The United Center in Chicago did a beautiful job with this. They literally had people posted the entire route to the stage making sure no one ran. It was calm, cool and collective and I was able to get the spot I wanted all 6 times there. Not to mention why should someone that is a faster sprinter get to the front over someone who was camped out 4 hours longer than them that simply cant run as fast or is not willing to knock people over in the process?

The part that was nerve racking for me was getting the wrist bands for the GA floor prior to going down to the floor. I always seemed to get the idiot that didnt know how to put it on right. Its like "MAN, hurry!!" Meanwhile people behind you are getting theirs put on them with no problem and moving on! Now THAT was nerve racking!

I forgot which one, I think it was the 2nd or 3rd 1st leg Chicago show. Some girls got there at about 4pm and were hanging out on top of the bank (if you were in the Chicago line you know what I'am talking about) acting like they belonged. Fans went to them and told them you had to have a card (we were using numbered decks of playing cards to keep the line in order) to be in line. They were like, oh we know, we are just sitting here. Well, the line started to move and they immediately tried to jump into the front of the line. All the fans in the line pushed them back. To The United Centers credit security told them to go to the back of the line. It was great! They could have said, we dont care. U2 fans in action.

Blue Room said:
The part that was nerve racking for me was getting the wrist bands for the GA floor prior to going down to the floor. I always seemed to get the idiot that didnt know how to put it on right. Its like "MAN, hurry!!" Meanwhile people behind you are getting theirs put on them with no problem and moving on! Now THAT was nerve racking!

Oh that was so frustrating! That happened to me too!

About running, everybody I saw was running and ignoring the calls to walk but nobody was pushing or rioting or anything. I think that happened every time because the fans were so excited and anxious.

Back to the food and bathroom thing, I would be interested in hearing which lines were the most and least convenient.

About the stuff you bring to lay on and have to put away: in Baltimore, every time I left and came back, they had moved the lines up to condense the line some person was nice enough to move my stuff up for me. I think most people were good with each other saving places and keeping track of belongings. Did anybody have any bad luck with losing a spot going for a break? I don't think I've ever heard of that.

Last edited:
I've had 3 GA experiences!

My 1st: Lexington, KY! It wasn't bad because I got there late and wasn't standing in the hot sun! I didn't have a bad position on the floor: outside the heart but close to the side! However, I almost passed out halfway during the show from dehydration!

2nd: Indianapolis, IN! Security was awesome here and so were the fans who held places in line (so we could take a break!)

3rd: Baltimore, MD Overall my worst experience. So many people cut in line around the corner. And all the rumors that there were many fake GA tickets out. Also, what pissed me off was that they gave out they were slow putting the wristbands on and that there were a lot of people at the tip of the heart who had Heart wristbands on. If you are not going to use your heart wristband!!!:censored:

But meeting the band before the baltimore concert made up for the bad experience!

I'll keep in short and just say that I had three GA experiences, and they were all just great. Good times, great people, U2 fun, and being in the heart!!!! I wish they'd do it every time. :up:

Had GA tickets for 4 shows, and I wouldn't classify any of them as bad.

Security in Toronto, both nights, was fine. We had a great numbering system, and they left it up to the fans, which is always good.

London night 4 was OK, but there were people trying to cut in line, and then we had to be renumbered several times because some people slept over, some went home, but wanted to move up in line. It was mainly fine, done by the fans, and the people in line around me were fantastic.

Hamilton was OK, save for the fact that the first 15 or so people were intoxicated, kept drinking all night long.

Back
Top Bottom