G.W.Bush delivered an exceptional,unifying,moving speech tonight ,with a very

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MSU2mike, thanks for you response. I hope you are right, and that this was indeed what Bush meant, but he wasn't that clear about it.

This is not like Vietnam. No one from Vietnam ever came in to our country and murdered 6,000 unarmed, innocent civilians. What are we supposed to do when thousands of our citizens are murdered?

As for the Canada thing, Bush has been watching the South Park movie too much [Blame Canada, Blame Canada....]

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Originally posted by Klodomir:
MSU2mike, thanks for you response. I hope you are right, and that this was indeed what Bush meant, but he wasn't that clear about it.

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it. I don't see us storming into Switzerland after this is over saying "That's the last time you guys stay neutral!"
wink.gif

Given the comments made by the administration over the last week, I think this is certainly the case. I'm guessing you don't get quite as much info as we do here, what with CNN covering every press conference. Obviously they don't release the most pertinent information, but I have gotten the clear indication that "with us" simply means sharing information and not being an active supporter of terrorism in your country. Regardless of what some here think, it is a global issue. The Eiffel Tower was targeted a couple years ago. London was one of the millenium targets. And recently an EU convention was a target. It isn't just the U.S., and next time it could be any number of western nations.

GWB became the President with this speech. Before a lot of people questioned his being President and that was basically with Florida election votes and all so he really wasn't getting the respect a President got, now he has gotten that respect and I think most Americans do see him as our President.

And to those who call USA "killers of the world" with the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. That was completely justified, the war was over but Japan wasn't giving up at all, they were actually getting more violent and the citizens were being armed and actually fighting. USA would have lost a great deal of people if it sent troops instead of using the bomb and let me say one personal note here, I probably wouldn't be alive today if USA didn't drop the bomb. My grandfather was over in Japan and was going to be sent in and his chances of survival were around nothing.

~rougerum

GWB became the President with this speech. Before a lot of people questioned his being President and that was basically with Florida election votes and all so he really wasn't getting the respect a President got, now he has gotten that respect and I think most Americans do see him as our President.

And to those who call USA "killers of the world" with the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. That was completely justified, the war was over but Japan wasn't giving up at all, they were actually getting more violent and the citizens were being armed and actually fighting. USA would have lost a great deal of people if it sent troops instead of using the bomb and let me say one personal note here, I probably wouldn't be alive today if USA didn't drop the bomb. My grandfather was over in Japan and was going to be sent in and his chances of survival were around nothing.

~rougerum

Originally posted by Henry Rollins:
I probably wouldn't be alive today if USA didn't drop the bomb. My grandfather was over in Japan and was going to be sent in and his chances of survival were around nothing.
Millions of Japanese children are NOT alive today because their grandparents were killed in the bomb. I don't wish to argue the pros and cons of dropping the bomb, but this is slightly jaded reasoning.

Mike, I suppose you're right, but what I took issue with was the tone of that assertion. It just didn't feel right for the circumstances.

Thank You Barefoot for posting the entire speech.
Thank You Mug for your opinion.
Thank You for all others that contributed to the healthful longevity of this thread.(Even you Mr.Salomehead)-lol
Thank God for another beautiful day..
Thank You Father In Heaven for allowing us in the free world to be able to post our insights,opinions on Interference w/o any repurcussions....
Now in the meantime I need to sell TONS of cars to be able to afford the 3rd leg of this world wide tour that will soon be upon us.

Godspeed...
D
B

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An open letter to Bono from myself www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

[This message has been edited by diamondbruno9 (edited 09-22-2001).]

Mug,

Yes I know there will a lot of Japanese killed but the fact remains, they weren't surrendering, they kept on fighting even when the war was over and that would have cost a lot of soldiers lives and it wasn't just japanese soldiers fighting, it was japanese civilians too. With this, even though it is bad, I think the bombs needed to be dropped because it took the USA to drop two bombs for them to finally surrender when one would think only one would be sufficient enough, that is how desperate they were, how much they would have continued to fight.

~rougerum

Originally posted by Henry Rollins:
it was japanese civilians too
Well weren't we doing something similar (Japanese internement camps?) I'm not debating the merits of dropping the A-bomb (and I agree that it might have been inevitable and/or necessary). It was just a fucked-up situation, I guess.

They said on CNN that the woman, who is on CNN tomorrow being interviewed again, wrote that speech, the Black woman (is it Rice?), his National Security Advisor. (its like when you see people like her you feel a lot of relief, because she's so smart you feel like things are in good hands). When I watched her speaking last week to the press, she said yes she had a hand in the speech. I had her name written down. What is it? They also said he practiced it for 3 days, but he had a teleprompter too. All you can think of is Will Ferrell when you see him. Thank God Cheney is really in charge, and Colin Powell. That is why one of them should have been elected president, or John McCain. Someone who actually has military service and international experience. This guy is in way over his head, and Poppy can't help him out here, you wonder how he can sleep at night. But fortunately we have excellent people really taking care of things. You listen to Tony Blair, who never uses a teleprompter, just talks so intelligently, and is so knowledgable, and then you think can't we borrow him for just a year or so. And we should all go to Britain and Ireland on vacation, because the best friends of Americans are the British and Irish, who were immediately in the CNN chat rooms, and still are, telling us how much they love us and are 100% with us. Thanks to all the people who still go to the CNN chats from all over the world with such kind words. Let the Day Begin.

[This message has been edited by Nick Carter's Angel (edited 09-22-2001).]

Wars aside, I still can't stand Dubya, and his plugs on "children" are needless emotional plugs at best. Why doesn't he just bring out the puppies while he's at it? It is almost as bad as my priest beating us over the head with images of sad children. Of course the mood was ruined when he went on a tangent about abortion and the statement, "You wonder why we can't fill menial jobs?" If that's all our unborn are meant for, then they're probably better off. But I digress...

I am very weary of whatever Dubya and the rest of his party says, and the new sense of patriotism in this nation will not be changing that. It will be a sad, sad day if he's ever reelected. I can just imagine it now: all of our budget and attentions put on a long, drawn out war, while our domestic infrastructure crumbles beyond imagination. We don't need a return to the 1980s, and that does include this newfound militarism. I just hope he is cautious with his deployment and his spending, and doesn't underestimate his enemy. Lest we forget how Afghanistan ruined the Soviets...

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
Did anyone notice he DIDN'T thank Canada?

Well, Dubya also called Mexico "America's greatest friend" or something to that extent. He really needs to learn diplomacy at times.

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Originally posted by melon:
Well, Dubya also called Mexico "America's greatest friend" or something to that extent. He really needs to learn diplomacy at times.

Melon

That's becuz GW and Vincent smoke big fat cigars together,play cards and swap women.
C'mon Melon this is an easy one...
Later
DB9

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An open letter to Bono from myself www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

Surprising how that C- average makes Republicans feel so secure. Everyone needs to pray he doesn't take up the bottle again. If some kind of intelligent policy regarding who gets a visa to come into this country, and a proper follow-up on who these people are, and secure borders preventing illegal entrance...but no they just couldn't manage that. Then we hear they actually knew about these terrorists beforehand, and combined with the lousy security at airports and bldgs...like when you are asked did you pack your own suitcase you are going to say "no recycle Bin packed it." Anyone who has ever been to Europe or other countries knows what security here should have been. Glad to now be hearing some intelligent rather than jingoistic talk on CNN and Fox.

Back
Top Bottom