G.W.Bush delivered an exceptional,unifying,moving speech tonight ,with a very

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you have some serious cheese issues db9

seek help

now, go away
you scare me

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Deathbear's Fly Girl:
Nadie aqu? tiene cualquier sentido. Usted todo el necesita ayuda.

lmao, that was a good--and truthful--comment
biggrin.gif

la fuerza impulsora de que?
de otra matanza.
de responder a una tragedia con mas y mas muertos.

para eso quieren unidad, deberiamos unirnos para combatir la pobreza.

Originally posted by Salome:
you have some serious cheese issues db9

seek help

now, go away
you scare me

Ahem,Salome, I wont be responsible for your ungrounded 'fears'.

Remember this is a thread I created and you chose to arrive here. ... I tend to police and nuture my threads. I also plan to be posting a long, long time....Probably longer than you've been attending U2 shows I suppose..

Better 'go shake it fella'-lol-Db9

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An open letter to Bono from myself www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

DB9 seems very protective of his threads.

They are public threads db9... yo..

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
Are tickets being sold to see that? Just an idea--anyway, keep up the police work, see ya all later.

Laughing My Diamond Ass OFF! Late ppl

D
B
laundry to do..

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------

Originally posted by pub crawler:
The President of the United States, no matter who he is, always uses someone else's script and a teleprompter for a televised address. That's standard.

Accurately put, Pubster...Db9

------------------

---------

Originally posted by diamondbruno9:
And where the hell have you been hiding Ms Goddess? DB9

Ive been here.. just hiding from you.

tongue.gif

Gracias
adi?s
n?mero nueve
DB9
yo

I have not supported President Bush's Presidency until 9/11/01. That day changed everything. However, I still thought he was kind of a clown with statements like "those folks" and "Wanted, Dead or Alive". Very cheesy texan. Not comments you'd expect from a global leader.

TODAY however, was quite exceptional. Sure, it sounded like he used Clinton's speechwriters, but he was still the one delivering the message and I have to say, he did an excellent job. I believe that may have been George W's shining moment as the President of the U.S (not to say he's not capable of more, but so far that was the highlight of his Presidency in my opinion).

SO yep, I am actually saying something quite positive about a man I once campaigned heavily against. God next thing you know I'll say I'm gonna vote for him in 04. Whats the world coming to!
wink.gif

Brother LA I borrowed him that word-"folks" as I use it alot in my 'diamondology',but I stole it back from him,this is why he didn't use it tonite, I suppose.

See you at the Staples Center.

Late...
D
b

------------------

---------

The President of the United States, no matter who he is, always uses someone else's script and a teleprompter for a televised address. That's standard.

Oh yeah, I understand that of course, plus I know it's unfair to compare him to Powell/Cheney who have been at this sort of thing forever compared to his 9 months or whatever. I was just saying, that compared to past presidents he just looks alot less confident/sure of himself in these situations, and that compared to the fairly powerful presence of the other two makes him look a little more puppet-like.

What I was asking was is he always like this, 'day to day', or is it just 'the weight' of it all showing.
And I don't really think it's a bad thing either, it's almost like him showing emotions (a little nervous, a little upset)other then Clinton type 'king of the world' is a good thing. If you notice, he's giving away alot in his eyes. Watch how they change during the course of his speeches...

Oh and I haven't seen his Congress speech yet. I'll have to wait till I get home, so I'm not commenting on that one.

btw I thought Bush was a complete dickhead until the last 10 days or so. Overall he's doing really really really well. And a huge thumbs up to the US gov in general for holding out and not doing a knee jerk retaliation. It's making the rest of the world breathe a bit easier. I remember watching the attacks live on TV here and thinking that by the end of the night (which it was here) some country was going to get blown of the face of the earth by the US. The rest of the world ('speaking on behalf of X billion people') do get really scared when a big country like the US gets pissed off (even when they've got every reason to) which I guess you can see by the reactions here from some non-US people. It's not personal, it's just no-one wants a war, and alot of people get scared, and it's the over aggressive threads that scare. So of course theres somewhere in between those two, where the people responsible ARE brought to justice, terrorism is smashed, but it is done in a way that somehow doesn't hurt the innocent populations of the countries involved, and in a way that doesn't stir this shit any bigger. How that happens I have no idea. That is your president and governments test, and thats what the rest of the world is crossing their fingers over...

[This message has been edited by TylerDurden (edited 09-20-2001).]

Bush isn't the speaker Clinton is, but he's not bad...and he's getting much more comfortable.

Tonight he was very good, but the moment that really stood out for me was when he was standing on the rubble in New York addressing the relief workers. I thought that was a great moment for him and for America. In those situations I think he does a very good job; not unlike his teary-eyed clip in the Oval Office last week. Standing on that carnage and taking a comment of "We can't hear you!" and turning it into a great soundbite without even thinking about it was terrific.

Originally posted by TylerDurden:
I was just saying, that compared to past presidents he just looks alot less confident/sure of himself in these situations...

I've heard similar comments from a few people.

btw I thought Bush was a complete dickhead until the last 10 days or so. Overall he's doing really really really well.

I've also heard those same comments from a few people.

And a huge thumbs up to the US gov in general for holding out and not doing a knee jerk retaliation.

Agreed.

So of course theres somewhere in between those two, where the people responsible ARE brought to justice, terrorism is smashed, but it is done in a way that somehow doesn't hurt the innocent populations of the countries involved, and in a way that doesn't stir this shit any bigger. How that happens I have no idea. That is your president and governments test, and thats what the rest of the world is crossing their fingers over...

Understood and Agreed! And very well stated.

And it bears repeating:
So of course theres somewhere in between those two, where the people responsible ARE brought to justice, terrorism is smashed, but it is done in a way that somehow doesn't hurt the innocent populations of the countries involved...

I just wish the press would stop misinforming the American public by telling us that the reason these terrorist actions occur is because the Muslim world is jealous of us. It goes well beyond that.

I just wish the press would stop misinforming the American public by telling us that the reason these terrorist actions occur is because the Muslim world is jealous of us. It goes well beyond that.

Thats right. It's not jealousy. It's not an attack because they hate your/my freedom. It might be an attack ON your freedom, but not because of it. I mean, for this guy bin Laden it's probably more like Saddam, Hitler etc and it's all about his ego/power trip etc. These Muslim terrorist 'leaders' are treated like idols and gods for what they do...

Anyway, this situation raises a million questions and not just for the U.S, but the whole 'west', which of course the US is the biggest example of all things 'west'. BIG questions. Our lives in the US, Australia, UK, Europe etc are better then they have ever been. We have more cash in our back pockets, more choices, more peace, more 'freedom' then ever before. But the rest of the world is going down the toilet worse and faster then ever before, and it seems like no-one cares or is looking out for them, and surprise, surprise they are getting pissed off. The growing gap between rich and poor, the environment, AIDs etc in Africa etc etc etc
This is the shit that has to be looked at.

Anyway, it's Friday evening here and I have to go excercise my god given constitutional
right to go and get completely wasted. Hopefully people will cool down a few notches over the weekend and a few more 'mature discussions' about all of this can take place rather then hothead arguments.

[This message has been edited by TylerDurden (edited 09-21-2001).]

Originally posted by U2LA:
I have not supported President Bush's Presidency until 9/11/01. That day changed everything.

This terrorist attack might have been the best thing that could ever happen to Bush. If he plays his cards right in this "war" he's sure to get a second term no matter how ridiculous his other policies are.

Originally posted by U2LA:
I have not supported President Bush's Presidency until 9/11/01. That day changed everything. However, I still thought he was kind of a clown with statements like "those folks" and "Wanted, Dead or Alive". Very cheesy texan. Not comments you'd expect from a global leader.

TODAY however, was quite exceptional. Sure, it sounded like he used Clinton's speechwriters, but he was still the one delivering the message and I have to say, he did an excellent job. I believe that may have been George W's shining moment as the President of the U.S (not to say he's not capable of more, but so far that was the highlight of his Presidency in my opinion).

SO yep, I am actually saying something quite positive about a man I once campaigned heavily against. God next thing you know I'll say I'm gonna vote for him in 04. Whats the world coming to!
wink.gif

What he said.
wink.gif

Tyler, like you - I sat there watching TV on Sept 11 and in the midst of my shock and dismay, thinking Oh God here we go - we'll be bombing SOMEONE by the end of the day.

I have also been dismayed by the actions of a few Americans towards Muslims in this country, and have also been dismayed by the comments of some people who assume that all Americans are self-absorbed war mongers.

I have been quite pleasantly surprised and pleased by the restraint shown by our government and pray that this continues as we move to deal with this crisis. And I hope we all have the same resolve when the issue moves off of US soil - we are not the only nation to ever suffer terrorist attacks. Surely, this is the largest single event, but a whole lot of other countries can point to events in their histories that were painful as well.

I continue to pray for peace and for wisdom among the world's leaders as we work through this crisis.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Just out of interest as a non american - would this sort of thing change his policies? Eg global warming, massive tax cuts, energy bills, global defence.
I can see a need to rethink defence - its not ABMs that are a threat to the usa, but people smuggling chemical and biological weapons. Star wars wont help that.
Also, with the price of oil rocketing, will there be a change in energy focus?
And with the economy badly affected, is this the wrong time to implement all the tax cuts etc?

One thing I want to reiterate about the attack was it was an attack on the world, not just america. Estimates are that over 1000 foreign nationals died. It was the biggest no of british casualties since the 2nd world war - more than the falklands. Also reported are 2000 first and second generation irish, even chinese and russians perished. I also heard a lot of illegal workers are presumed dead - and their companies are not reporting them missing. The whole world is behind america in grief, and the whole world needs solidarity in a long term response. New York was the home of the global economy, so let the globe come to the defence of new york.

------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

Please!!! Get over it.Clinton is the past.Bush is the present and the future.Someone needs to pick up the peices from Clinton.What speeches aren't written for the president?Every president has someone to write the speech. I can't even remember a memorable Clinton speech.Oh yeah on second thought I do.But he lied in that one too.

Boca,Teeth,Tyler,UsMike,Crzy and others,Thank You for your responses.

As the world watched,they have united even more after the speech last night.

Again, I started this thread w/the most moving line from The President,-" continue to live your lives,but HUG YOUR CHILDREN"...

You could see it in G.W.'s expression on his face- a 'stoic' reluctance, -if you will as he truly is a peaceful,compassionate man from this observer's perspective..

Now the press collectively have said this was one of the most moving parts of the evening...

D
B

------------------

---------

[This message has been edited by diamondbruno9 (edited 09-21-2001).]

Originally posted by diamondbruno9:
G.W.Bush delivered an exceptional,unifying,moving speech tonight
I only wish it had been more (and that's not asking much) informative

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I wish it had been more informative too. Too much pep rally, not enough substance. But then of course, substance would be "We're bombing here." and that would be worse. Argh! No balance!

And did you all notice who got the most applause? Rudy! The guy may be involved in some extra marital scandal but he's kickin' some ass right now.

[This message has been edited by sharky (edited 09-21-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom