funny/ridiculous/stupid family views on U2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 07:22 AM
funny/ridiculous/stupid family views on U2

I'd just got in from work tonight as my mum and dad were going to bed and 'Pride' came on the TV. My mum turned round to me and said "I didn't know Bono was 44" (she knew this because of the 6-in-a-bed article in the paper yesterday, she loved the fact that he and Ali were childhood sweethearts). Anyway she said she thought he was similar age to her. My mum is 57 years old! I couldn't help but laugh, he does look older than 44 but 57 is going a little extreme. What was even funnier was that she said it in all seriousness and not merely mocking that Bono might look older than his age, she did truly believe he was entering his late 50s.

Whats even funnier is my dads unshakeable view that Bono is part of the IRA because of "something he saw on the telly years ago". Ever since i first really got into U2 around the time of the 2000-01 Brit awards he's constantly reminded me of his views. I just pity the damn dirty fool (as Mr T would say).

Anyway i was just wondering if you had any funny/ridiculous/ignorant tales of friends or family and U2? It's going to be hard to beat Bono's alliance with the IRA (he still doesn't listen to me when I play him Bullet THe Bly Sky from Slane Castle!).

Old 12-07-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:22 AM
My older sister was a HUGE fan of JT era U2. We're not very close and U2 is just about the only thing we have in common so I decided to try to do a little sibling bonding with her in anticipation of the new record, which had not yet come out when we had this conversation. She said that after JT they lost their creative edge because they all settled down into family life. I said, um, did you ever even listen to Achtung Baby?! Or Pop? Yeah, real boring records made by dull family men. I think she listened to AB a couple of times and dismissed it and the band. She missed a great decade.

Ok, that's not all that interesting I guess.

Old 12-07-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:22 PM
my father thought every U2 song was a cover of some famous and much better song written by a much better band from the 60's. he just didn't want to admit U2 were a good band or something.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

A few of my family and friends still say "Boh-no" no matter how many times I correct them
Old 12-07-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Re: funny/ridiculous/stupid family views on U2

Quote:
Originally posted by Daveone

Whats even funnier is my dads unshakeable view that Bono is part of the IRA because of "something he saw on the telly years ago". Ever since i first really got into U2 around the time of the 2000-01 Brit awards he's constantly reminded me of his views. I just pity the damn dirty fool (as Mr T would say).

Castle!).
Bono and the IRA....just play him the speech before Sunday Bloody Sunday on the Rattle and Hum film where he gives "the fuck the revolution speech" then ask your Dad what he thinks about Bono.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:23 PM   #6
Refugee

Wow. You also have an IRA Bono story? A very big radio talk show host in my area has condemned Bono for being a friend to the IRA, which I thought ridiculous. Even though I like this guy, he obviously doesn't have his facts straight.

Spread the news: BONO IS NOT AN ALLY OF THE IRA.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:32 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:22 AM
Yes, some friends I have think all U2 songs are like The Sweetest Thing and that Edge is a bad guitar player cause he doesn't do many solos. No matter how many times I show them songs like The Fly, Bullet The Blue Sky, Love And Peace Or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Gone, Vertigo... they still think the same way. Bastards!! If I didn't liked them I would totally kick their dumb asses!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 05:37 PM   #8
Refugee

My moms is obviously aware of U2 because I'm such a huge fan, but she never saw them in action until the 2002 Super Bowl half time show. After seeing them, she said to me:

1) "Oh my goodness. They are so loud. How do you handle them being so loud? Oh well, you're probably used to it by now."

2) "Who's the young kid behind the drum kit?"

3) "You're right, Jenny. Bono is short."
Old 12-07-2004, 05:40 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl

2) "Who's the young kid behind the drum kit?"

Old 12-07-2004, 05:45 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 01:22 AM
My family loves U2, so no disparaging or funny comments there, but my best friend can't stand them. He says the lyrics are "corny" and always about love

He's an idiot, obviously
Old 12-07-2004, 05:49 PM   #11
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:22 AM

I became a U2 fan when I was 13. My sister (3 years older than me) hated U2, basically only because I loved them so much. When I was 15, the Pop Mart Tour rolled around. Our parents got tickets for the nearest concert for all four of us to go. It was about a four hour drive to the concert, and my sister kept bitching about how she wished she could be back home doing something with her friends that is actually fun. For the majority of the concert, she sat on her chair with her arms folded across her chest, looking down.

When ATYCLB was released though...she became a fan.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 12-07-2004, 05:52 PM   #12
Refugee

Most of my family thinks that I have a crazy obsession with U2. If I start to talk about the new album or quote some lyrics, they all just roll their eyes at me. I go out of my way to assist them becoming fans. I burn CD's for them, I forward articles, and I tell them when to catch them on TV. However, they still roll their eyes at me. They tell me that I'm crazy. I fight back and tell about all of us at interference.

I think if I wasn't so passionate about the band, maybe they would like them more. Who knows?

On a happier note, my brother is coming around. I think there is hope for him being a fan.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

When I was 14 my best friend and I started a fund (pennies in empty pop bottles) to go see them when they rolled into Detroit during ZOO TV. My dad finally said one day he'd go get us tickets.

He had gone out to get them, and I was anxiously waiting for him to come back. He returned, and told me that they had all sold out. I must have looked absolutely heartbroken because just then he whipped out two tickets and told me as I began to cry that he was just kidding!

What a dirty trick to pull on a teenager!

My mom, on the other hand, will ask me to make her mixes and make it a point to tell me if she likes one of their songs. I played HTDAAB on Thanksgiving day, and when SYCMIOYO came on she looked up from chopping onions and said, "I like that one,", lol.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:13 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Catman
A few of my family and friends still say "Boh-no" no matter how many times I correct them
My mom does the same thing, i think she does it just to anoy me know though!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:21 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

My 84 year old grandmother STILL calls him Boh-no after all these years....

She does clip U2/Bono pics and articles when she sees them for me for though...so I can't be too mad at her!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:25 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

When U2 came here to Edmonton, during Popmart my father didnt know who U2 was. He was asking who that Bono guy is on TV and then I said I was going to the concert and he said where are they playing, the shaw conference center which only holds about 2000 people maximum....and then I stated no they are playing the stadium twice which had a total of over 120 thousand fans there...his eyes almost popped out of his head.

Since then hes got me to bring out my U2 CDs at family gatherings and other parties what I find in the gerneral public of "non hardcores" is that people either like them or hate them there is nothing in between.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:40 PM   #17
The Fly

Just a funny "Mom" story here. My mom always like U2 b/c they visited Graceland in Rattle & Hum (big Elvis fans in my fam) Anyway, my g-friend at the time had quite the crush on Bono and my mom became convinced Bono was the best looking singer since Elvis

Then they came to Hershey (30 minutes or so from my parents house) to rehearse Zoo Tv and my g-friend and I went to the HBG Hilton (where Bono & Edge stayed for the week) and got to meet them. Thing is, neither my g-friend or I realized exactly HOW SHORT Bono is!

Now, everytime U2 comes on the radio, my Mom still shakes her head and says, "Its just such a shame he's so small"
Old 12-07-2004, 08:04 PM   #18
Refugee

I've been educating my folks. I think they get it, but I also don't think they care. =P
Old 12-07-2004, 08:05 PM   #19
The Fly

My dad loves U2, he was the one who got me into U2 in the first place, he loves the live version of ISHFWILF on Rattle and Hum. My mom on the other hand thinks that Bono is a huge egomaniac and rolls her eyes when ever a photo of B comes pops up in a magazine or he's on tv; however she does have a crush on Larry.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:15 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 02:22 AM
My brother is a closet U2 fan, and he's been listening to them for as long as I have, but the only band he really loves is Metallica. My Dad likes teasing me about the band and how they're aging ( especially Bono), although I know he respects all of the guys as musicians. My Mom doesn't listen to much U2, but she likes their music and she'll sit down with me and watch the DVD's I have or even ask me to put some songs on her mp3 player. She loves "Stuck in a moment".