Funniest snippets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Alright, we have a favourite snippet thread, and while I was tempted to make a "worst snippet" thread, I thought a "funniest snippet" thread could be a whole lot more interesting. I've certainly encountered a few amusing ones in my time working on U2-Vertigo-Tour.com's setlist database. I won't list them all here, but some of the ones that have amused me are:

The nursery rhyme Christmas Is Coming: note the dates. Late February and mid-March 1983. Yeah, Christmas was really coming then.

The Neighbours Theme Song on at least six separate occasions, including in Hartford on the Elevation Tour. WTF was Bono thinking? I can at least understand him snippeting it in Australia in 1989, but why Hartford? Last I heard, almost no-one in the US had heard of Neighbours anyway!

The Real Slim Shady once during Bullet The Blue Sky. I wonder if Bono was still singing this after the 2003 Emmy's or whatever those awards were ...

Material Girl snippet at the very start of Last Night On Earth. Twice. Bono's a material girl? :huh:

The next installment in Bono's sexual identity crisis, Girls Just Want To Have Fun, once between TTTYAATW and Angel Of Harlem on ZooTV.

And, in my opinion, the funniest: It's Raining Men on 1997-11-10 during Mysterious Ways. It's the only snippet that has actually made me burst out in laughter.

There are some other great ones out there. What snippets have amused you?

Screwtape2 said:
Oh and does the Martini Song count?

Its the bright one
Its the right one
That's martini :wink:

Oh, I've heard that one on bootlegs before but I had no idea what the hell it is so I haven't added it to U2VT yet. Where's it actually from?

Axver said:

Oh, I've heard that one on bootlegs before but I had no idea what the hell it is so I haven't added it to U2VT yet. Where's it actually from?

June 12, 1993 Koln, Germany

The whole song goes like this:

Buy a taste of Martini
The most beautiful drink in the world
It's the right one
It's the bright one
That's Martini

:hmm: I just helped Axver with a setlist. My life is now utterly complete.

well, it's not really a funny snippet, but the way Bono sings it IS funny

She really don't like it.... rock the cashbah

:wink:

I love the martini song :giggle:

anything in Discotheque.

Really, that's the only reason I wish that song came back for good.

Wasn't there a time where he did a bit of Do ya think I'm sexy during Elevation on this last tour?

Humpty Dumpty during Electric Co at the 2nd Detroit show on the Vertigo tour. But it turned cool as Bono then went into the Break On Through To The Other Side snippet from there.

he sung "yellow brick road" just after WTSHNN in pheonix once

"i want to go there with you...
follow the yellow brick road,
follow the yellow brick road
oh follow follow follow the yellow brick...
oh dear oh dear"

that made me giggle

:lmao: This thread is cracking me up!

I can't really contribute, because I don't listen to enough bootlegs, but I saw a War tour performance of Two Hearts Beat As One on YouTube once that cracked me up. Bono attempted to break into Let's Twist Again:

"Let's twist again, like we did last summer
Let's twist again, like we did last year
Do you remember the words? I don't!"

He then proceeded to just sing those two lines over and over again :lol:

Screwtape2 said:

June 12, 1993 Koln, Germany

The whole song goes like this:

Buy a taste of Martini
The most beautiful drink in the world
It's the right one
It's the bright one
That's Martini

:hmm: I just helped Axver with a setlist. My life is now utterly complete.

:lol: Thanks for that. I've heard the snippet before but couldn't remember the date. Thing is, I don't have a title. Is it just The Martini Song or something? And what's its actual source - I'm guessing an ad? I remember throwing a couple of lines into Google when I first heard it and it gave me nothing helpful at all.

Galeongirl said:
well, it's not really a funny snippet, but the way Bono sings it IS funny

She really don't like it.... rock the cashbah

Oh yeah, I love that. It cracks me up how he got the lyrics wrong every single time!

U2girl said:
Wasn't there a time where he did a bit of Do ya think I'm sexy during Elevation on this last tour?

Hmm. I think you're right, though I don't think we've actually got that in the U2VT database for some reason.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

I can't really contribute, because I don't listen to enough bootlegs

You could just see if something jumps out at you from U2VT's list of all snippets: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/all-snippets.html

There's some hilarious stuff there. How about Ding-A-Dong after one ZooTV performance of Desire? I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony) during a Popmart Bullet? And the inclusion of San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair) during a November 1987 performance of Sunday Bloody Sunday, of all songs, strikes me as just a little odd.

U2girl said:

"do you think I'm sexy
do you think I'm ehmdpoirhfs...
something something"

that's what he said :D

I love the "we wish you a merry xmas" he did once in 11 ='Clock Tick Tock... Hammerstein Ballroom, I think

(on december 26th, with my cover band we played it... right after Christmas (B,PCH) and with Santa hats :reject: )

pepokiss said:

"do you think I'm sexy
do you think I'm ehmdpoirhfs...
something something"

that's what he said :D

When did he do that? I'd like to add it to the U2VT database, so it can join the other funny ones, heh.

I love the "we wish you a merry xmas" he did once in 11 ='Clock Tick Tock... Hammerstein Ballroom, I think

I think he did that at every December 1982 show. It's in all the shows for which we have bootlegs anyway.

Axver said:

When did he do that? I'd like to add it to the U2VT database, so it can join the other funny ones, heh.

21-9 Chicago i think.

On a similar note, i was looking up 14-10 in New York because i swear Bono sings some lines of My Sweet Lord much like in Sydney but it isn't on U2VT. I'd been wondering what the lines were in that performance but i just dismissed it as ad-lib.

Back
Top Bottom