Full Metal Jacket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

potsofclay

Babyface
What is the deal with Full Metal Jacket?! I've read from a bunch of places that Bono said that Full Metal Jacket had the "mother of all rock and roll riffs". Where the hell is it?! That's quite a friggin claim (though I'm believing it b/c of the power of the EDGE!)... and then NOT TO HAVE IT ON THE CD??!?!?!?!! I don't understand...

A little while ago on amazon.com/uk Full Metal Jacket WAS listed as a song for the cd along with Tough... It was listed as "Full Metal Jacket/Native Son"... Now I see on the Complete U2 ITunes thing that Native Son is on there... It's the same friggin thing as Vertigo... Is the riff from Vertigo the "mother of all rock and roll riffs"?... I love the song... but I don't think so... Zeppelin has a million better riffs than that... DON'T GET ME WRONG... I LOVE VERTIGO and I think the riff is cool... just not "THE MOTHER"...

does anyone have any answers to this?

also, if Full Metal Jacket was indeed Vertigo, why would it list BOTH songs for the cd on amazon...???

Full Metal Jacket and Native Son had a baby called Vertigo. So basically Vertigo is the end product of what FMJ and NS set out to be. Bono has a way of exxagerating things when he descibes songs.

If that's the case, then why did amazon have both Vertigo AND Full Metal Jacket/Native Son listed for the cd?

Lemme get this right, according to Bono, Vertigo has "the mother of all rock and roll riffs"...? I dunno about that... my vote would be for something like Black Dog.

You must be right... Bono really does some serious exaggerating... :)

Full Metal Jacket was never a finished song. It was a guitar riff with a provisional title. This riff was used in the track Native Son, which was later rewritten to be the song Vertigo. In the "U2 and 3 Songs" documentary on the DVD that comes with the album, Edge plays the guitar riff from Vertigo, which I am guessing is the FMJ riff. I don't have the DVD with me this second, but I watched it this morning and it's on there.

potsofclay said:
If that's the case, then why did amazon have both Vertigo AND Full Metal Jacket/Native Son listed for the cd?

That wasn't the official tracklist. At that time, Amazon had copied an unofficial tracklist from this very site and posted it on their site as "official". That tracklist was speculative.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
And while we're at it where is Xanax and Wine? And how about SKYHAWK!! WTF!! OMG!!!11 I HAIT DIS AL-BUM!!11

:wink: to you Mikal!!

OMG!!1!! I HAIT DIS ALBUM TOO!!!!11!! I PUKED WEN I HERD IT!!1! WHAT IF I HAIT DA TOUR!!!!!!!111!!!!

I HAIT AMAAW!!!11 IT REMINDS ME OF GORG MIKAL!111!! I HAIT GORG MIKAL!!!1! I HAIT U2!111!!! Y CANT THEY BE LIKE THEY WERE B4?11!!//?

Last edited:
Murray said:
I HAIT AMAAW!!!11 IT REMINDS ME OF GORG MIKAL!111!! I HAIT GORG MIKAL!!!1! I HAIT U2!111!!! Y CANT THEY BE LIKE THEY WERE B4?11!!//?

OMG!!! I HAIT U2 TOO!!!!!11! I HAIT DIS ALBIM!! U ARE RITE!!!1! IVE NEVER PUKED 2 TYMES AND DEN POOPED AFTER I HERD A ALBUM!!!11!!! I CANT WAIT FOR DA NEXT ALBUM!!11!1!!!!

FullonEdge2 said:

OMG!!! I HAIT U2 TOO!!!!!11! I HAIT DIS ALBIM!! U ARE RITE!!!1! IVE NEVER PUKED 2 TYMES AND DEN POOPED AFTER I HERD A ALBUM!!!11!!! I CANT WAIT FOR DA NEXT ALBUM!!11!1!!!!

At last an some articulate music fans who can keep it all in perspective.
11 ! I hait da albbum 2!!

Back
Top Bottom