full band walk on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob33

Rock n' Roll Doggie
anyone know if U2 perform Walk On with full band from beginning to end at all on the vertigo tour?

thanks

Yep, they did the full band version on 7 November 2006, Brisbane, and again three days later at the first Sydney gig.

All the rest were acoustic. Personally, as someone who saw both versions live, the full band version was far superior. :drool:

alright thanks...is there any good quality video/audio of those performances? I'd really love to see them..i've watched a clip of the sydney one on youtube but it's really bad quality....

i don't understand why they did acoustic versions? is there something troubling about playing it full band or was it just the band's preference on the vertigo tour?

A lot of times during the encores, especially as the tour went on, they would have a semi-acoustic set as one of the two encores, no doubt to preserve Larry's arms and/or back.

I think part of the reason for the acoustic version, or at least its return later in the fifth leg, is that the full band version's setlist placement simply didn't work. The acoustic Walk On fit nicely into the main set before SYCMIOYO, but the full band one felt a little out of place and I think the band didn't want to look too much like they were just repeating the Elevation Tour by using it as the closer.

nathan1977 said:
A lot of times during the encores, especially as the tour went on, they would have a semi-acoustic set as one of the two encores, no doubt to preserve Larry's arms and/or back.

I love how U2 on tour sounds like a MLB pitching rotation in the playoffs :wink:

coolian2 said:
I love it acoustic.

It's one of the better U2 acoustic songs, I'll give it that.

But coming from me, that isn't really saying much. :wink:

coolian2 said:
I love it acoustic.

100% agreed – I do love specially the Auckland version, including an incredible sing along with the crowd ending with "You'll Never Walk Alone". A magic performance.
It is a shame, that U2 needed as long as until the 3rd leg, to discover, that some acoustic tunes do enrich the setlists a lot. Especially in our rather static Europe shows, it would have worked very fine, too.

Last edited:
ZOOTVTOURist said:

100% agreed – I do love specially the Auckland version, including an incredible sing alnong with the crowd ending with "You'll Never Walk Alone". A magic performance.

I don't know what my favourite part of that was...my thinking "OMG You'll Never Walk Alone snippet!!!!1"....yelling along to it and hearing everyone into it on the bootleg.

Acoustic Walk On even beats Acoustic Staring at The Sun, which is one of their more interesting acoustic adventures.

Acoustic U2 as a whole gets a bit of an unfair bagging here.

Walk On @ Grammy's 2002 is their best Walk On performance to me. What a performance! :drool: Larry's drumming is great there.

Vlaco said:
Walk On @ Grammy's 2002 is their best Walk On performance to me. What a performance! :drool: Larry's drumming is great there.

yeah that performance is from another planet...UNREAL

i also like that beginning part with bono "ooh ooh ooooh ooo" or whatever he does there

Back
Top Bottom