"Fruitlegs" questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2fan42

The Fly
1. Does anyone know when each of the "fruitlegs" were released?

2. The last track on "Grape" is listed as Viva Davidoff. Is this the actual song or a remix?

3. What is the difference between a mix, a remix, an edit, and a dub?

1. Melon, 1995, is the only official one, so the rest are a mystery to me.

2. It was one of the B-sides to "Miss Sarajevo." It's not a remix, but a weird instrumental you can blame on Eno.

3. A mix and a remix are the same, an edit is simply a shortened version of a song (like "New Year's Day" on the Best Of), and a dub is the song with the vocals removed, more or less.

Well, the Fruitlegs are interesting. Melon, as typhoon mentioned, is the only official one of these. It was released as a promotion with Propaganda back in 1995. After it was released, bootleggers began making their own remix cds and selling them like they were official releases like Melon. These include: Grape, More Melon, Kiwi, Pineapple, Mango, Watermelon, and a few others. Some of these have tracks that are the same on them and many have remixes or edits that are just plain not worth having. There are a few gems though, like the remix/edit of New Years Day on Mango entitled the "Special US Mix" by Francois Kevorkian the "Underdog Mix" of Stay, and the "Innovative Mix" of The First Time. Unfortunately most are just mundane house or trance remixes of either Lemon, Mysterious Ways, EBTTRT, In the Name of the Father, Numb, and other early 90's songs remixed.

Viva Davidoff is just an instrumental piece that is not really that exciting. I can see why they left it off Passengers and relegated it to b-side status.

From what I've seen, a "remix" is usually a very different version of a song, much like all the Lemon trance remixes and things like that. A "mix" is closer sounding to the original with some minor differences. And finally an "edit" is just a cut job on a song, like the Stuck single version with cuts out the 2nd verse before the first chorus. Edits are most widely used for single versions of songs and soundtracks.

Back
Top Bottom