From the Horse's Mouth (sort of)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iacrobat

War Child
Saw this over at @U2:

Tour next fall and the album is perhaps finished.

-------------------------------------------------
Chicago Sun-Times, December 08, 2003
Bill Zwecker

There's less of Bono these days. When Sun-Timeser Cathleen Falsani saw the U2 rocker in Washington, D.C., last week she asked the tea-sipping musician if Weight Watchers was the reason.

"Oh, I don't do that. Just swim, and that. I can't wait, actually, to be fit again. ...I'm going on tour. I've got to get fit." As for that tour, the 43-year-old rocker says "hopefully next fall -- that's what I'd like to do," to boost the group's just-finished new album.

I don't get it. If the album is finished or nearly finished, wouldn't late spring or early summer be the logical time to start the tour? :scratch: But then again, there was a pretty long interval between the release of ATYCLB and the start of the Elevation tour, so maybe spring album release/fall tour isn't so weird after all.

Oddly, if Fall is true, I'm VERY relieved! That gives me all summer working 40+ hrs a week to raise money and gives me more confidence that they'll be well-rehearsed and publicized.

maybe it means the album will be finished in the fall (by finished i mean released), so when they tour in the fall they will be supporting their "just-finished new album" (with just-finished meaning in the fall)

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Oddly, if Fall is true, I'm VERY relieved! That gives me all summer working 40+ hrs a week to raise money and gives me more confidence that they'll be well-rehearsed and publicized.
Same here. I'd LOVE a summer tour, but I need to pay off some bills and save a little more money. I can't wait, no matter when it is!

FALL?

:crazy: :scream:

that's fine, it's not like i'm going anywhere but

i want them now! :mad: :| :rolleyes:

p.s. saving money is good. but saving my time off is gonna be harrrrd! :wah:

Last edited:
Since he was in America, maybe he meant an American tour in the fall. I imagine that if the album is released in March (please God) then they could start a European tour in May/June, and that would give the American tour some time to sell out (if it's stadiums), and for the album to build up support. But the newly finished album part is great news.

I assume he meant the album is finished now. But why wait till the fall to tour?

Maybe they are cooking up something big.

Remember the ATYCLB - Elevation tour gap and the promotional gigs?

Maybe they'll do something similar now.

(why is he already getting fit if the tour will start in the fall? i think he just said "i'd like to go on tour next fall" because he'd like to have more time to get fitter and tour is actually starting sooner IMO)

*edit* I don't think anything was 100% said and done - I mean, "I'd like to do it next fall" doesn't sound very concrete.

Last edited:
Fall does seem like an eternity from now. But don't forget, they've been holed up in the studio for months working on the album. Bono, Edge, & Larry do have wives and kids that they probably want to spend some time with before they head off. Because when U2 tours, they're always on the road for a really long time. So they are most likely trying to get in some quality time with their families before they go.

My first reaction is: that quote doesn't even make sense.

My second reaction is: if thats true and the tour starts late summer/early fall, that means the album isn't coming out until May.

well, I'm gonna have to go ahead and say no to that.

album: March
tour: June

start working on it.

Wonder why he'd be concerned about getting into shape now, a full 9/10 months before a fall tour? Seems like a long time to get in shape (but it'd probably take me that long as well!).

Also, if they really are planning a stadium tour, I can't imagine they'd prefer to bypass the entire summer season.

I'm still pulling for a June start...

Fall/Autumn Tour sounds perfect for me! If they go with the Suggestion I think Edge put forward somewhere (stadium touring around May onwards, I think he may have said) the I'm screwed for getting money (What with Glastonbury Festival etc.) but Fall/Autumn would be superb as I'll definetley have money then!

I hope this doesn't come off as harsh, but this is Bono and anything he says about release dates, tour plans and the like really needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Remember when U2 did the MSN chat last year and the new album was brought up, Bono said it could be done by the end of last year. Yeah. I am excited about all this tour and album stuff, but until Edge or Adam or Larry says it, I'm not too inclined to believe it.

From the MSN Chat last November...

JO WHILEY: You did a good job, Larry, then. The most popular topic, I think, the biggest question is when are U2 next playing live again? Who's got the answer for that.

EDGE: This is Edge, it will have to be after the next studio record is released, and we don't really know When that's going to be. So I would say at least another year and a half.

LARRY MULLEN: Don't say that.

EDGE: When you think about ??

BONO: I could have this record finished before ?? well, not before Christmas, but I think we could have it ?? we could certainly have it finished before next Christmas [laughs]. We've got half of it. I think is going to be our easiest record we ever made. These songs are just coming from? I don't know where? but they are arriving, and they're extraordinary, up front, up tempo, full on ??

JO WHILEY: Rock and roll again?

BONO: It's really ?? there's a life force.

EDGE: Bono is right in that sense, there's an incredible kind of energy in a lot of the new songs that we're coming up with. But, I'm just being realistic, I think it will be a while. But, ideally we'd love to be out, you know ??

BONO: Did you join this band to be realistic, Edge?

EDGE: You're absolutely right, cancel that. Give us three weeks.

:applaud: :up: Well, it seems we always want them NOW! :wink: But I agree with some others here-fall would be nice! And again-Bono might want the fall-but has to consider the others votes on that! But here here but bono looking good-even better than the real thing-in the Fall!:cute: :heart: :cute:

sunglasses3.gif

I've never been able to work out when people are referring to when they say "fall"...I'll just keep waiting. Well worth waiting for imho. I have to pinch myself sometimes to believe, that the band I love the most this............................................................
............................................................................................
............................................................................................
..... much more:hug: :adam: :edge::heart: :larry::bono: :hug:
than any other band on the planet , is still recording :applaud:.
I can just imagine how much they want to polish it and polish it and polish it. There is a mass of critics out there waiting to judge it...and them. So I can understand the delay. They want it to meet the high expectations people have of them...and it.

The part of this statement that tugged at my old :heart: strings is,

"Oh, I don't do that. Just swim, and that. I can't wait, actually, to be fit again. ...I'm going on tour. I've got to get fit."

awww, it's such hard work , I know mate . You take care. We love your music and whatever package you come in...walk on, be strong.

**cass prays they bring the show to Australia this time**

woops, major layout error. My, "I love them ................this much "effort made the post about 10 feet wide
!WOW!..new U2 songs!! sing hallelujah

Last edited:
I want the album to be out ASAP, but I'm not too fussed about when they tour, just as long as they come here. The longer it is the more money I can save, and the more of their concert I can go to.

Obviously not too long though :huh:

How about now? :p

at first, i thot the Falllllll :no: <whines>

but asci read the posts i thot --phew-- I'm still paying my sib off, for the Springsteen tix... as much as I'd want it to be in the late spring/summer :hyper: ....this would work better.

hey, guys- you can come & do some more rehersal shows here in NYC....again :up: puleeezee :yes:

I think he is definitely talking in terms of American timeframe because he wants to be touring in America during late October, early November next year for the elections.

Translation:

They may be in Europe by fall, for he 2nd leg.

Album:March/April
Tour:June/July

If they are truly done recording, we will see the album before he end of April.

Back
Top Bottom