Fourth of July

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I wasn't really a fan of this track when I bought The Unforgettable Fire, but last night I chucked it on my MP3 player at midnight, in a dark room, closed my eyes and just listened to it. The bass, at times, throws me off, but in reality it is a truly good instrumental. Never before have I listened to a song and a picture has almost been painted in my head. The effects in the background are haunting and beautiful. It sent shivers down my spine.

What a great find!

The way 4th Of July is discarded as pointless filler on this forum is disgraceful.

Great inclusion on a great album.

Axver said:
The way 4th Of July is discarded as pointless filler on this forum is justifiable.

Horrible inclusion on a great album.
Fixed :wink:

But seriously, I see it's place on the album (slides VERY well into "Bad"), but the song itself just isn't very good. It meanders pointlessly and I just believe the band could have come up with something better.

well, I never pay much attetion when this song is running... and I really like ambient music

maybe I need to listen to it more, or something?

It's nice but it pretty much sounds like the same guitar note being strummed over and over again until before you know it, it's over! :slant:

I can take ambient music with random lyrics like Promenade, but not ambient music by itself. So I'll pass on 4th. who knows, if bono sang on it maybe I would have enjoyed it more. but hey, I'm glad people are enjoying songs! It's good to hear positive threads! :D

I love 4th of July. You know the front cover of UF, the castle? The sounds in 4th of July take me there. Like I'm inside the cover photo. Awesome instrumental.

Catman said:

Fixed :wink:

But seriously, I see it's place on the album (slides VERY well into "Bad"), but the song itself just isn't very good. It meanders pointlessly and I just believe the band could have come up with something better.

Considering Adam and Edge were just sorta noodling around with their bass/guitar, respectively, and didn't know they were being recorded...sure they could've come up with something better...they have, Love Comes Tumbling...or if they were going for the instrumental angle...Boomerang I.

Guess Eno is a good persuader?

I'm telling ya guys...you're gonna want that instrumental in there.

4th of July is a nice track though.

Last edited:
:drool: best ambient track I've ever heard. If only Passengers could have sounded like this!

Great atmospheric track. To me the guitar sounds like singing whales. Anyone else who thinks that?

Back
Top Bottom