Found: 9/9/92

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YellowKite

War Child
I was cleaning out closets and doing a reorganization and I found my cache of U2 programs and this fell out of the ZooTV program. I laughed when I read it. I might have written it in the car on the way home or later that morning after getting home. Enjoy and be kind - it was over ten years ago.

U2 Zoo TV: Outside Broadcast
Pontiac Silverdome
Wednesday 9 September 1992

Play list:
Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing ? Live to L. A. for 9th MTV Awards
[Drum assist by Garth]
Mysterious Ways
One [I Need Your Love / Rain Down On Me]
Until The End Of The World
New Year?s Day
- Larry: Irish Drinking Song
Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Acoustic [small stage]: Angel In Harlem [My Girl]
When Loves Come To Town
Satellite Of Love [accompanied by video of Lou Reed]
So Cruel
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride
I Still Haven?t Found What I/m Looking For [Stand By Me]

Encore:
Desire [call to the White House operator]
With Or Without You
Love Is Blindness [Can?t Help Falling In Love With You]

Bono wore the vinyl black nightmare then changed into the silver lame suit complete with matching oversized Stetson. The stage was absolutely great. Eight Trabants [two on cranes, two on the back of the main stage screen, one on top of the light sound booth, two on supports to spin and the last on a wire above the small extended stage ? which Larry spun].

Great stage! Three huge screens, several smaller ones and two message strips. Even a platform walk and small stage into the main body of the floor seats. Bono drew two women onto the stage. It was amazing. In that environment everyone wanted to be the one up there, but was thrilled for those who actually went.

Amy got us into the meet and greet party afterward. Actually Don Russell did. He is the assistant tour manager for the band. Pretty cool guy, Fun job. Kelly Kristy [the record rep] was also cool. She had just come from talking to Adam. As we left Mike and John met Larry and talked football [soccer].
I?m rather of two minds. Relieved I didn?t meet them this time because I?d have been real composed [I?m sure] and this way they are still ?rock stars.? Sounds a bit immature but isn?t that what they are? I?m sure they are very nice people but they are great pop idols. Understand?

Once again ? a great performance. A bigger ?show? than ever before. Usually the stages are very simple. The concert was quite amusing. Bono especially. The poking irony was inoffensive and not at all as pretentious as the written interviews make it out to be,

The outfits were fabulous. The fly glasses were over the top. At times I wasn?t sure if the band was enjoying the show. I imagine it is more than a lot of work. I had a great evening. We were there late enough to see the stage mostly disassembled. An amazing amount of [fast] work. That could be a fun job a few months at a time.

I was also there, 2nd row right in front of Adam. One of the better U2 performances I have seen. To bad no full version bootleg of it has ever surfaced. So Cruel was done acoustically 3 times period on Zoo (and a snippet in Milan 92) and that night was the only time Bono sang the entire thing and not just the first verse and chorus only. I also recall Bono doing My Girl most likely because it was an absolutely miserable day outside, cold and rain. One of the few times it was definately a good thing the concert was in a domed stadium.

Last edited:
Sounds like an awesome concert. The Irish drinking song must have been Whiskey In The Jar, by Thin Lizzy, also covered by Metallica, that Bono sang a few times during ZooTV. Lucky you that saw them play So Cruel live.

"Whiskey In the Jar" has been around considerably longer than Thin Lizzy.

I just remembered something else about the show. I remember after Bono did My Girl, he said. "Another classic trashed by U2, now lets trash our own!!" and Larry hit the drum intro to When Love Comes To Town. It was perfect timing and line. It really is a shame there is no complete recording of this show.

So you fellow Michiganders - was anyone else at that show where Bono got pissed and threw that security guy out? I have [albeit a very bad copy] a tape my friend Marianne made and even now it's pretty intense how mad Bono gets.

Back
Top Bottom