Forget Pop, what about October?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

topplehatU2

Refugee
This is the most underrated U2 album, or at least the one least mentioned. Somehow, it's my second-favorite U2 album, with such classics as Gloria, I Fall Down, Rejoice, Tomorrow, and Fire.

So, what's the deal guys? :sad:

:applaud: Yay! You started this thread! :hug:

I love this album too...I even like it more than The Joshua Tree. I admit that the second half of the album isn't up to much (it ain't THAT terrible though) but the first half is brilliant. It may be quite formalistic in part, but what it lacks in spontaneity it more than makes up for in passion and enthusiasm. You're right about Gloria, I Fall Down, Rejoice, Fire and Tomorrow being classics. Especially Fire :drool:

if U2 had started their career today October probably would have killed it

they were lucky the record company stuck with them after that

Chizip said:
if U2 had started their career today October probably would have killed it

they were lucky the record company stuck with them after that

You're Bano!

Last edited:
Congratulations for this thread, it's worthy!
October is IMO the most underated album (even by the fans) from the band. It is places at #2 in my rank after HTDAAB.

Great album, good concept, great instrumentals, great effort by Bono after losing the lyrics. Very well done!

I agree... October is really not as bad as everyone thinks... There's really no horrible songs on it... When i listen to it, i don't have to skip any song on it... When i listen to Pop, i have to skip several...

Slowly, very slowly I'm warming up to October. It has passed War now and is no longer U2's weakest album in my opinion(that goes to War). Though I don't think it'll be able to climb much higher in my U2 album rankings. It does have some great tracks though(Tomorrow, Rejoice, With a Shout, October, Fire).

For me...it comes second from bottom (R&H is last). Having said that, I do like Fire, Tomorrow, Stranger in A Strange Land and October. I just *hate* I Threw A Brick though.

Also: Isn't the opening guitar to "Is That All?" the same as The Electric Co. (or The Cry, whatever)?

Last edited:
Hot Bono said:
I agree... October is really not as bad as everyone thinks... There's really no horrible songs on it... When i listen to it, i don't have to skip any song on it... When i listen to Pop, i have to skip several...

im sorry but have you seen the lyrics for Is that All?

"To sing this song makes me angry
I'm not angry with you
Is that all
Is that all

To sing this song makes me happy
I'm not happy with you
Is that all

To sing this song makes me dance
Is that all
Is that all
Is that all
Is that all you want from me
Is that all
Is that all"

im sorry but ths could be u2's worst song of all time, terrrrible lyrics and a stolen guitar riff.

i like the first 7 songs on the album, but the last 4 are pretty much fillers to complete the album

Last edited:
Is That All? is one of the best on there dammit!

Irishteen said:
October is probably better than Pop :reject:

*RUNS*

Haha what the hell are you running for?! Don't be afraid to state solid fact just because you're worried a bunch of elitists are going to come in and try and convince you a hollow, mismatched unfinished album is better than one of U2's best albums! :up:

I love October so much, I think it was the third U2 album I got and I was hooked immediately. At one point it was my favourite album but still rests in my top 5 I think! Has a great 'dark' sound to it throughout a lot of it and 'Rejoice' cannot be beat!

October used to be my least favourite. I can't say that anymore. It may be theira album with the most raw passion, and while I'm a "Pop" fan too, I always felt that its lack of passion was it's major problem.

October is the album that I play when I'm feeling down. "Rejoice" is just plain inspiring.."I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me...I'll rejoice". Meanwhile, "I fall Down" is one of their most underrated songs. The Red Rocks version of this song is in my Top tem favourite live tracks.

It's the only U2 album that I can truly say I hate.

Bar gloria and maybe rejoice there is absolutely nothing else worthy of listening too. Fire, Is that all, I threw a brick through a window, Stranger in a strange land and scarlet I personally find absolutely awful

Chizip said:

im sorry but have you seen the lyrics for Is that All?

"To sing this song makes me angry
I'm not angry with you
Is that all
Is that all

To sing this song makes me happy
I'm not happy with you
Is that all

To sing this song makes me dance
Is that all
Is that all
Is that all
Is that all you want from me
Is that all
Is that all"

im sorry but ths could be u2's worst song of all time, terrrrible lyrics and a stolen guitar riff.

i like the first 7 songs on the album, but the last 4 are pretty much fillers to complete the album

well, it COULD be U2's worst song of all time.. but it's not... that honor goes to Miami... :wink:

I really love October.
Took me a good while to warm up to it, but now it's in my Top 3 U2 albums.

It just needs a bit more time than some people or willing to give an album, or at least it seems that way.
Of course, I have known people who gave it time that still don't like it. Each to their own, I guess.

It's good, it rocks. Musically it's atleast as good as any other album. No really exceptional songs on it though, and that's what's missing.

Hot Bono said:

well, it COULD be U2's worst song of all time.. but it's not... that honor goes to Miami... :wink:

Haha! What is up with that song?! It's probably my favourite of Pop, oddly enough! :drool: Live versions are great too!

gareth brown said:

Haha! What is up with that song?! It's probably my favourite of Pop, oddly enough! :drool: Live versions are great too!

bababa-bababa-fuckin baba

the only time "Baba"s are tolerated except in the Death Cab song 'The Sound of Settling' :rockon:

I also :heart: Stranger in a Strange Land, it's a crime it was never played live

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom