For those who love Pop and ATYCLB...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FullonEdge2

Refugee
To counter all of you who love either one or the other but not both, I will say this...They're both awesome!!!:drool: :drool:

You're U2 experience is not complete without seeing something good in each of them.

So, how many of you agree with this statement and are tired of the age old debate between the two!

ATYCLB is absolutely amazing... its the most under rated u2 album - it ranks right up there with JT and OB

I have to agree, the changes in each album and the fact that they have the guts to keep experimenting is what keeps them interesting....I have never been disappointed with any U2 album so far.

ATYCLB is a great classic-style pop/soul record that has always been there for me. POP is a great rock fusion record that I listen to when I'm bored, as it provides some cool stimulation. I like both albums for entirely different reasons. Both albums are quite commercially minded in comparison to prior U2 albums...but both contain magic in one or two songs. 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' is one of those songs, as is 'Kite'. Both songs are U2 stepping into the unknown, uncovering new ground, while creating beauty at the same time. :up:

I love POP. It introduced me to a whole different style of playing music. And I think there are some really great songs on there that tend to get over looked because of the whole POP stinks attitude. "Please", "Gone", and "Wake Up Dead Man" are a few of U2's best songs. In my opinion, anyway.

And ATYCLB is just a great album. It is different from anything U2 did before, just like every album they've ever done. It's just a classic rock sounding album. Pretty basic in the grand scheme of rock, but for U2, it was a change.

These are both kind of anti-U2 albums. Pop is so full of despair and emptiness that it eschews any of the usual brand of U2 hope. ATYCLB picks up on this emptiness right from track 1, but reintroduces hope in a competely different way by favoring self-sufficiency ("carry your own weight") as opposed to "dreaming up the world you want to live in". I suspect the scrutiny these records constantly come under is rooted in the fact that they firmly stay stuck on the ground whereas most of the earlier albums soared with almost an anti-gravity zeal. Elevation and Walk On are 2 good examples. They both have titles that suggest a typical U2 soaring experience, but they both disallow for that by stubbornly and purposely staying grounded. This has been their art on these albums. I believe this fundamental change is simply due to maturity. They're not dreaming idealists anymore. They're more like down-to-earth practicalists who understand that work is what really gets things done. Or at least they have been. We'll see what the new album brings.

I should add that I'm a big fan of both of these albums. ATYCLB a little more so.

I love both of them! ATYCLB, because it makes me feel so good and it has so many memories attached to it for me. And I really don't have many complaints about POP. People just bash it because it's different (like the Joshua Tree geezers are always doing!). It really does have some of U2's best songs on it. In my opinion, The Unforgettable Fire has a higher ratio of poor songs compared to good songs than POP does.

I love them both too. ATYCLB a little more so because, like Rachel D, it holds some good memories.

But yeah, I dig POP.

Yeah the memories with ATYCLB (the greatest album ever and the reason why I'm in this forum) but Pop is awesome and one of the reasons I keep coming back to these forums.
Boom CHA!

While clicking on this post I'm listening to "Mofo", has amazing sounds and is a great track, amazing lyrics by bono. POP was lyrically incredible and the band did a 180 with ATYCLB, completely changing it up. I liked ATYCLB just as much, great tunes, I'd say 1 constant skipover (peace on earth) but the rest is "mustard."

i love both albums, pop a little more so. reason being that 'gone is just such an amazing song. how can you have despair and strength any better represented in a u2 song than in that one? their work and imagery, in sound and lyrics, inspire me almost all the time. i cant go ten minutes or so without hearing a song in my mind. i draw lots of inspiration from their talents and dedication, especially when doing my own artwork.

Yeah, Tomer, you never got the tampon album?? LOL

Anywho, both albums are terrific and I would never bash either of them.

Rachel D. said:
People just bash it because it's different (like the Joshua Tree geezers are always doing!).

I don't think that's fair or accurate at all. Ever consider some people dislike it because they didn't consider it to be good? Different doesn't always mean bad, but it also doesn't mean good either. AB was different, but still good. But for some people Pop crossed the line of being different in a bad way, just as many Pop fans dislike ATYCLB because it was different from Pop in a way they didn't want to hear. I feel sorry for the band, it's impossible to please everybody every time.

I don't know any U2 album that scores below 7 1/2 points out of 10

so I love them both

Layton said:
These are both kind of anti-U2 albums. Pop is so full of despair and emptiness that it eschews any of the usual brand of U2 hope. ATYCLB picks up on this emptiness right from track 1, but reintroduces hope in a competely different way by favoring self-sufficiency ("carry your own weight") as opposed to "dreaming up the world you want to live in". I suspect the scrutiny these records constantly come under is rooted in the fact that they firmly stay stuck on the ground whereas most of the earlier albums soared with almost an anti-gravity zeal. Elevation and Walk On are 2 good examples. They both have titles that suggest a typical U2 soaring experience, but they both disallow for that by stubbornly and purposely staying grounded. This has been their art on these albums. I believe this fundamental change is simply due to maturity. They're not dreaming idealists anymore. They're more like down-to-earth practicalists who understand that work is what really gets things done. Or at least they have been. We'll see what the new album brings.

:up:
Couldn't agree more. Except I prefer Pop :wink:

YAY:hyper:

its so nice to see a thread about these 2 albums that isnt bashing either of them! i've never quite understood why so much time is spent verbally destroying ATYCLB and Pop???

i know you cant expect everyone to like everything all the time as we all have our own tastes and opinions and to a certain degree i can see why some people dont like either - friends of mine tend to call ATYCLB "middle of the road soft rock" while i think Pop is a very very good album, but personally find it quite difficult to listen to.
The difference is, I dont think that makes it a bad album. Not at all, its a GREAT album, i just stuggle with it sometimes.

And ATYCLB? call it middle of the road if you will, it sounds great and thats what counts. It would still be one of my favourite albums regardles of whether its U2 or not.

The anti- threads stress me out. everytime a new one pops up we should counter it with one like this.
Bring on the Bashers! We'll take them on!
:wink:

With POP the more I play it the more I wan to hear it. With ATYCLB I play it for certain times that I want to hear certain songs. They are different. I love POP and I like ATYCLB. It's hard to explain so that's the best I can do. :wink:

i like them both. i dunno why people label pop as non u2-ish. i think its a rock album, as well as atyclb. when people call it pop/soul it sickens me. i think of britney spears or justin timberlake. thats pop.

if any didnt notice yet, some of the same people whove posted in here also were the critics in the other forums that have been labeled bashing threads. SO IT IS POSSIBLE TO LOVE U2 AND BE A CRITICAL VOICE...what a revelation:ohmy:

Both have their positives I guess.

I'm more of a Pop fan. In fact, Pop is always fighting as my favorite album with Achtung Baby. All That You Can't Leave Behind has never broken the top five for me. I think it is only because of the total success of the album, and the amount of airplay that the singles got.

I do agree with whoever said, that Pop was a departure from hope and into dispair, and I think All That You Can't Leave Behind was an album with even more hope than the norm, and it was too hopeful for my tastes. But oh well. It's a good album, just not as good as Pop:)

Back
Top Bottom