For those of you who own ALL the U2 songs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
...do you every get the feeling of, "What now?"

I was listening to Achtung, Baby! last night and as I was swept away in its greatness, I became a little depressed upon the realisation that I will never hear any of those songs for the first time again.

I can't explain it very well but does anyone ever get a bit down when they realise they will never experience that sheer joy of hearing a U2 album for the first time?

Or do I just have way, way too much time on my hands?

That's why I'm taking the process of getting Rattle & Hum, Zooropa and Pop very, very slowly.

I remember waiting so long for the release of Achtung baby, three years since rattle and Hum and that album had left me a little woried about one the next one would be like.
I can't describe the sheer exhillaration the first time I eard the Fly, i recorded on the radio, the first time it was ever played before I went to college. It blew me away so much that I must have listened to it nearly a hundred times that day, and needless to say I didn't make it to college. Then when Achtung Baby came it changes my world, it was everything I had been wishing for for those three years and even more! It was the most cool and brilliant album I had ever heard, and I have never heard a better one since, when I listen to it now, I still feel as excited and moved as I did back in 1991. Of course then came zootv......oh God those were great times.
I still get wildy excited months before a U2 album comes out, I feel just like that teenage boy whose life turnaround with Achtung Baby.

An Cat Gav you're a lucky bastard. I wish I'd had the same experience with that album.

COBL, you're wise leaving Rattle and Hum and Pop until later but what the hell are you doing leaving Zooropa so late?! :ohmy: Get it NOW while Summer's here!!

gareth brown said:
COBL, you're wise leaving Rattle and Hum and Pop until later but what the hell are you doing leaving Zooropa so late?! :ohmy: Get it NOW while Summer's here!!

It's winter in Australia,

Still I agree, go get Zooropa now! But I'm thinking considering your thread before about being weirded out by Numb that your not guna like it

Buying the albums slowly is smart, for two reasons. By spacing them out, you get to enjoy each one thoroughly. If you tried to listen to them all at once, you'd probably die of an overdose or something, and then not like any of them much if and when you recover.
The second reason is that it lets you have a steady stream of U2-discovery. By discovering the back catalogue one album at a time, one gem at a time, over a stretched period of time, you don't get bored with it. You don't have to identify with the older fans pining away for a new album. Sure, you want a new album too, but because you still have great chunks of the back catalogue to keep you satasfied until then, you don't need a new album as bad.
I'm in your shoes. I have just a few left to collect, and after that, quite a few B-sides. So there's still enough U2 music left for me to discover for a while yet.
But I'm not particularly worried about what I'll do when I have it all, and want more (too much is not enough, right? :wink: ). I'll get by. Even now, I sometimes go fair lengths of time without listening to a particular album or song, and then when I finally do listen to it, it's refreshed in my mind. Even once, I went over a month barely listening to U2 at all. It was difficult, but when I finally broke the fast, I appreciated what I had been missing so much more. And too, there are certain live performances (WOWY on the ZooTV Sydney video, ISHFWILF on the PopMart Mexico video, and WTSHNN on the Elevation Boston DVD are three that come to mind) that will never, ever lose their magic for me. So really, even if something isn't brand-spanking-new to you, that doesn't mean it has to lose all of its magic.

...And I just realized that the three songs I named as examples are all from The Joshua Tree, which is a bit of a bizarre coincidence, it's not even my favourite album :p

Drop everything that you are doing and purchase Pop immediately.

This should be the first rule in the U2 fandom. :drool:

No, I recently bought the albums (except ATYCLB and Bomb and Best of's) because my older brother was a fan before I was and he had all the other albums (but he moved out so...).

Even though I knew all the songs it was still interesting to hear it all in the album order. (because I used to have tapes).

i purchased Zooropa and Pop a few weeks ago.
i still need to get War, Boy, October and Joshua Tree for my collection. :)

It is very cool that some of you have LP's/CD's that you haven’t listened to yet. I'm years past that stage! Don’t stress though. Once you have all the LP's/CD's you get to start collecting the bootlegs.

(LP's/CD's - Which one is politically correct?)

I have pretty much all the songs they have done and then some of Bonos solo work and by the time I get around to the first one again it feels brand new. Your talking about a catalog thats about what over or close to 500 songs? I was recently listening to POP after not hearing it for a while and it sounded brand spankin new. I was even thinking why isn't some of this stuff on the radio?

waynetravis said:
i purchased Zooropa and Pop a few weeks ago.
i still need to get War, Boy, October and Joshua Tree for my collection. :)

Ok Im not dissin but for someone with over 6900 posts like you there Wayne, I find this VERY VERY DISTURBING!!!

Tell me your joking?
:|

gabrielvox said:

Ok Im not dissin but for someone with over 6900 posts like you there Wayne, I find this VERY VERY DISTURBING!!!

Tell me your joking?

very good point

PlaTheGreat said:
Drop everything that you are doing and purchase Pop immediately.

This should be the first rule in the U2 fandom. :drool:

:love:

There are probably some rarities I don't have, some solo projects...and of course there's always bootlegs...but I have almost everything. All the albums, majority of the b-sides. It was nice to collect 'em all, so to speak, but it makes me want a new album even more. Still, I listen to U2's back catalouge more than anything else. There is a certain album I never grow tired of... :wink:

gabrielvox said:

Tell me your joking?

i'm very serious.

i have:

best of 1980-1990 and 1990-2000
ATYCLB
HTDAAB
Pop
Achtung Bay
Zooropa
Rattle and Hum
Under a Blood Red Sky
The Unfrogettable Fire

i never bought Joshua Tree beause most of the songs i liked on there are on the best of 1980-1990

and i don't listen to old U2 much, i listen to a lot of post-JT U2
although i do listen to live versions of the old songs like Bad, SBS, etc.

Last edited:
jonnytakeawalk said:

It's winter in Australia,

Still I agree, go get Zooropa now! But I'm thinking considering your thread before about being weirded out by Numb that your not guna like it

He's Australian?! :ohmy:

namkcuR said:
If a piece of music is really great, it will sound brand new the hundredth time you listen to it.

This is so true.

I keep my iPod on shuffle all the time, and I often don't listen to complete albums on my stereo anymore, except as background music while I'm working on something. The other day, the CD I was listening to finished, and Achtung Baby came on since it was next in the stereo. A few songs in, I'd stopped what I was doing and sat and listened to the whole album with the same wonder I did when I was 13 and brought it home for the first time.

That album changed the way I listened to music, and sometimes I think it does again when I listen to it for the first time in awhile.

Back
Top Bottom