For the 3rd leg opener, I dont think U2 would play Elevation first.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
cos I think they have repeated the song as a concert opener too many times on this tour so far so my reckoning is that they'll play something else for a change.

But the question is what song will they now play as a opener? Hmmm not sure if U2 have changed the openers between US legs before (like between Zoo TV and Outside Broadcast in 1992). Any idea if that happened?

Personally, I would like to see Out of Control as a opener, that'd be real cool!
biggrin.gif

please discuss....

dougal

Elevation will definately open the entire third leg. I think the setlists are going to be basically the same as the 1st and 2nd legs with maybe one or two new songs in there.

That was a good point there Douggie.....a good question.....with a point...sweetie I dunno what to think........I see what ya mean about going back to the same cities.............

has this ever happened before??? anyway I do think the setlist will be different, and naturally they are goona have all the SLANE FANS on the four big screens!!!!!!!

how ya doin anyway, uve been sooooooo silent!!!!!!!!!!!

((((((hugz))))))

Originally posted by dougal55:
please discuss....
there is nothing to discuss

you are wrong, Swallow is right

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by mad1:
That was a good point there Douggie.....a good question.....with a point...sweetie I dunno what to think........I see what ya mean about going back to the same cities.............

has this ever happened before??? anyway I do think the setlist will be different, and naturally they are goona have all the SLANE FANS on the four big screens!!!!!!!

how ya doin anyway, uve been sooooooo silent!!!!!!!!!!!

((((((hugz))))))

Hi Maddie!

thanks for that! <<<hugs>>>

Im fine yeah I havent been here much as I have been incredibly busy here at work, I have got a huge stack of work on my desk so it'll take a while to clear it up. I have also been out of the office a lot too not on business but for a day off here and there and also due to other things...nothing bad, mind you.

anyway, I will be back at my best soon....and those piccies too!

will drop you an email this weekend......

dougal

Hmm I suppose the general consensus here is that Elevation will continue to be the opener for the third leg.....

Ok what about the concert closer? Will Walk on still be played too? My feeling is that they will still play the song.... I cant see how U2 would change it for this leg......

dougal

I definately think that Elevation will continue to be played as the opener, so no change there. Whilst I think the band will probably continue with Walk On to close the show, I'd like to see the song changed a little, incorporating Peace on Earth at the start. (As per America: A tribute to Heroes). So moving.

I wanna hear some POP dammit!

------------------
-The Shitty Beatles? Are they any good?

-They suck!

-So it's not just a clever name...

It is still called 'elevation tour', so I believe they will still open with it. In an interview prior to the tour release, Bono mentioned that they wanted to start the tour with that song because it got them in "full flight" or something like that, and they were going for "lift off" and to "really rock the house"
cool.gif

I agree with you - I dont think Elevation will open it either.

Fancy this - Peace on Earth/Walk On like they did for the WTC Benefit.

Think about it...

I wouldn't be disappointed it at all. Then, Beautiful Day, Elevation, and a bunch of oldie but moldies. Haven't hypothesized about the rest, but I think there is indeed a 50/50 chance they will open with the POE/Walk On combo.

That would be shaking it up a bit dont you think??

You are all wrong... nothing will change. Why would it? It's the "Elevation Tour". Perhaps they'll add 'Peace On Earth' along there somewhere or maybe, but don't hold your breath- 'When I Look At The World', but other than that, it'll be the same, same, same... If you are wanting something different don't go, if I am wrong... I will buy Diamondbruno a beer in Vegas.
mad.gif
But I won't be wrong!!!!!

Btw- Hi Dougal55!! Met you in Dublin! How's things?
biggrin.gif

-----------

..."And you can swallow, Or you can spit, You can throw it up, Or choke on it..."

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 10-05-2001).]

oh please, that is such simplistic thinking. Think beyond the box. "It's the elevation tour therefore they have to open with it".

Gee, let's not leave any room for variation...

Originally posted by Angel:
You are all wrong... nothing will change. Why would it? It's the "Elevation Tour". Perhaps they'll add 'Peace On Earth' along there somewhere or maybe, but don't hold your breath- 'When I Look At The World', but other than that, it'll be the same, same, same... If you are wanting something different don't go, if I am wrong... I will buy Diamondbruno a beer in Vegas.
mad.gif
But I won't be wrong!!!!!

biggrin.gif

-----------

..."And you can swallow, Or you can spit, You can throw it up, Or choke on it..."

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 10-05-2001).]

Where have you been, girl?
smile.gif
We gotta talk sometime!
biggrin.gif

Well, when I say that it's the 'Elevation Tour' I don't mean because of the name they must open with the song- but logistics!! Reality check folks!!! Slane was barely a month ago and they are starting up next week. They have been on vacationpeople, not practising new songs and setlists to please the alimighty at Interference.

I personally don't want anything to change. I like the show, and I want to see that show!

has nothing to do with thinking outside of the box smartass.

I'd be really very surprised if they didn't open with elevation..

they're going to open with a Red Light/Wanderer medley. It will rock the f**kin' house!!!!!!!!

------------------
Nate

"Ready for the shuffle
Ready for the deal
Ready to let go of the steering wheel
I'm ready
Ready for the crush"

-Zoo Station

Originally posted by njf77:
they're going to open with a Red Light/Wanderer medley. It will rock the f**kin' house!!!!!!!!

The 5000 hardcore fans in attendance would be going crazy. As for everyone else...well, have you ever heard 15000 people say 'What the hell?' in unison before?

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
Oh and zoo station was the opener the entire ZooTV tour, and MOFO for all of Popmart.

Actually, on ZooTV they tried opening a show or two with Sunday Blood Sunday just to mix things up... they might try something similar here on this leg. U2 does hate repetition after all.

------------------
And I felt like a star...

Originally posted by Dorian Gray:
Actually, on ZooTV they tried opening a show or two with Sunday Blood Sunday just to mix things up... they might try something similar here on this leg. U2 does hate repetition after all.

That was not an "official" show, but the "Outside Rehearsal" show in Hershey. I think that doesn't count. Every "full" Zoo TV opened with "Zoo Station". They rehearsed a new beginning of the show (Acrobat segueing into Zoo Station) but never played it in concert or during the Outside Rehearsal show.

I don't see a new opening song for this tour. The beginning (Influx into Elevation, lights on) works perfectly.

Originally posted by Angel:
biggrin.gif

Yo, Angel! Im sorry but I cant remember meeting you.....remind me who you are and in which pub I met you in Dublin......I have met so many that weekend that I was bound to forget a few names (and faces!).

In any case, thanks for asking for me....Im fine just stuck in a moment here in London right now and wishing I was in Notre Dame this Wednesday night.....oh well at least I can see it live on the net....however I dont think I will be up at 3am to watch it live! I will be just content to watch it at a more convenient time of 9pm our time.....

Now its well over a month since Slane, Im saving up for a trip to the States late next year (for a possible 4 weeks so it'll be quite a dent to my bank account!). Unless U2 is touring in Europe again next year (but at this time just a rumour) thats what Im planning to do.....Ive been to States twice (NYC, Tampa, DC) so I now want to go to S. Francisco, LA, Las Vegas, Seattle etc etc well, really the entire West Coast! lol!

Gotta go now so hope to see you around again soon.....till then cheerio!

dougal

Now that the Notre Dame gig is over.......

I dont want to gloat too much but did Elevation open for the show? NOPE! B. Day opened instead....... I predicted right here that U2 wouldnt open with Elevation and all of you guys, Johnny Swallow, Salome, Whitty, Henne and so on thought Elevation would stay as the opener.

So guys what do you think of B. Day being the opener? I personally thought it was cool but its still not as exciting as Elevation would be as an opener.

I thought bringing up NYC police and firefighters on stage in the finale was very touching and a timely reminder of how courageous they were on 11th September. God bless them!

dougal

Sorry dougal! You were right. I've got to admit that I couldn't imagine another opener than Elevation.

I haven't heard last night's version of BD yet. I'm quite curious how it worked, since I still can't imagine a better opening song for this tour than Elevation (maybe Acrobat segueing into Zoo Station, but that doesn't count....
wink.gif
)

Well I have egg on my face... I would never have called it. Beautiful Day was a fantasitic opener. Though not as good as Elevation I wouldn't want to change it now, because I tell you having Elevation open the encore was unbelievable!!! Just when everyone thinks it's soon time to go... E L E V A T I O N !!! What a way to rock the house one last time... and then into Mysterious Ways!!! Brilliant!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I'm staring at the sun, not the only one who's happy to go blind..."

Originally posted by dougal55:
Now that the Notre Dame gig is over.......

I dont want to gloat too much but did Elevation open for the show? NOPE! B. Day opened instead...

You're still wrong. They actually edited Elevation during the show and just added it on at the end. It opened the concert but Bono was picking a wedgie so they had to edit that out.

OK OK OK Johnny Swallow!

Im aware that Elevation moved to the start of their encore. Did anyone who was at the concert think that was a good move or was it better to play it at the beginning?

hey johnny! I know all about Elevation being a real "lift-off" opener, I saw U2 three times in Manchester, London and Slane and Ive found it real exhilerating to sing the "Woo-hoo" parts of the song at the top of our voices!

I still hope to hear the full live version of Peace on Earth though I wouldnt mind the first verse being used before Walk On as it happened last night.

I suppose dropping BTBS was a very wise move but Im sure it'll be back when the right time warrant its return.

cheers my dears!

dougal

Back
Top Bottom