For Boston sports fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foxxern

Refugee
As a former resident of your fine state, I have always had a special place in my sporting heart for your teams. I was only a little kid when I lived there, but there was always something about cheering for the team from Boston. It was and still is a great city, and I think you have the best sports fans around. After 16 years of futility in the major pro sports, it must feel great. Here's something from ESPN.com that I found pretty cool:

We needed this. Badly. After the Celtics cruised to the NBA title in '86, there were a ton of hits, one after the other. Lenny Bias died. The Red Sox choked away the '86 World Series. Magic made the sky hook. The B's couldn't win a Cup with Neely and Bourque in their primes. The Sox couldn't get past Stewart and the A's. Larry's back and McHale's feet gave out. Reggie died. The Pats almost moved to St. Louis. The Sox fell into mediocrity. Parcells skipped town after we nearly won the Super Bowl. Clemens and Mo left. We lost out on Tim Duncan. Pitino stunk out the joint. The Sox couldn't get over the hump with Pedro and Nomar in their primes. The B's basically died. During the 2000 season, we actually had all four teams miss the playoffs
-- the first time since 383AD

------------------
Change is the only constant

For a while I thought Ray Bourque and the Colorado Avalanche's Stanley Cup would be the closest to a championship that a Boston pro team would get.

"We needed this. Badly. After the Celtics cruised to the NBA title in '86, there were a ton of hits, one after the other. Lenny Bias died. The Red Sox choked away the '86 World Series. Magic made the sky hook. The B's couldn't win a Cup with Neely and Bourque in their primes. The Sox couldn't get past Stewart and the A's. Larry's back and McHale's feet gave out. Reggie died. The Pats almost moved to St. Louis. The Sox fell into mediocrity. Parcells skipped town after we nearly won the Super Bowl. Clemens and Mo left. We lost out on Tim Duncan. Pitino stunk out the joint. The Sox couldn't get over the hump with Pedro and Nomar in their primes. The B's basically died. During the 2000 season, we actually had all four teams miss the playoffs
-- the first time since 383AD"

-This is from ESPN.com Page 2 columnist Bill Simmons, "The Sports Guy". You should always give a writer credit for his/her work! He's the best (and a big U2 fan). I strongly urge any sports fan to go through the archives of his work. Damn near brilliant at times. Funny dude.

------------------
Mac Phisto's N.Y. Headquarters

Originally posted by Mac Phisto:
[BYou should always give a writer credit for his/her work! [/B]

I did. Well, I mentioned ESPN.com anyway. Guess I could've elaborated.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by Mac Phisto:
"We needed this. Badly. After the Celtics cruised to the NBA title in '86, there were a ton of hits, one after the other. Lenny Bias died. The Red Sox choked away the '86 World Series. Magic made the sky hook. The B's couldn't win a Cup with Neely and Bourque in their primes. The Sox couldn't get past Stewart and the A's. Larry's back and McHale's feet gave out. Reggie died. The Pats almost moved to St. Louis. The Sox fell into mediocrity. Parcells skipped town after we nearly won the Super Bowl. Clemens and Mo left. We lost out on Tim Duncan. Pitino stunk out the joint. The Sox couldn't get over the hump with Pedro and Nomar in their primes. The B's basically died. During the 2000 season, we actually had all four teams miss the playoffs
-- the first time since 383AD"

-This is from ESPN.com Page 2 columnist Bill Simmons, "The Sports Guy". You should always give a writer credit for his/her work! He's the best (and a big U2 fan). I strongly urge any sports fan to go through the archives of his work. Damn near brilliant at times. Funny dude.

Boston Sports Guy has resurfaced....holy shit. I loved his site on AOL. I'm getting my ass over to espn.com right now....sweet.

Back
Top Bottom