For all those who hate the last 2 albums...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonfix

Refugee
Here's a question....

Would you have preferred U2 had retired after POP? Do you think that nearly a decade down the road POP would be looked upon as a great accomplishment and coda to a career that always took chances?

Or despite the quality of the new albums are you glad they are still putting stuff out there and touring? Afterall, a bad album does not necessarily mean a bad tour.

(Of course I know if given the chance, you would answer C: They would be putting out better albums but that ain't a choice! :wink: )

I'm glad they are continuing. Even though I disliked the last couple of albums, I did enjoy the show. I don't think they are bad albums, they are just not my thing. Each to their own. :shrug:

timothius said:
THEy shoULFDa QUTI AVFTER! BOOY!!13#!#$!555###1

OMG@%^&^THEy weERe so GOOOod back ThEn&^&@@{

INDIE U2(*7773Was LIke Teh BEST EVar&&^((

ylimeU2 said:
I'm glad they are continuing. Even though I disliked the last couple of albums, I did enjoy the show. I don't think they are bad albums, they are just not my thing. Each to their own. :shrug:

This pretty much reflects my point of view. Although both recent albums had some good songs on them, I don't consider either to be great U2 albums.

LJT said:

OMG@%^&^THEy weERe so GOOOod back ThEn&^&@@{

INDIE U2(*7773Was LIke Teh BEST EVar&&^((

OMFFFFg!@gas!# SHIDAOWZ N TalLE Trious RULZZzzz!24!15511ﻑﻓﻌﻈﺢﯛ ﻻﻶ

OKtoBA SUKEred!@©«Û±Þ

EWWETOO r lAKE MY GARNDPERENTZZZ!!@ au«Û±Þ olde and DED!!!!331111

timothius said:

OMFFFFg!@gas!# SHIDAOWZ N TalLE Trious RULZZzzz!24!15511ﻑﻓﻌﻈﺢﯛ ﻻﻶ

OKtoBA SUKEred!@©«Û±Þ

EWWETOO r lAKE MY GARNDPERENTZZZ!!@ au«Û±Þ olde and DED!!!!331111

EdGGE 72kjfhsdOMG IZZ LiKe GAt NOOOo HAir EWWwwww

STRREEEET MISSSioN iZ da BESSttest~@@@}{

LJT said:

EdGGE 72kjfhsdOMG IZZ LiKe GAt NOOOo HAir EWWwwww

STRREEEET MISSSioN iZ da BESSttest~@@@}{

:lmao:

HAREI IZ SOo COLo!112$! EVEEN EWE HAVI HARI!!!111 and&& UEWE SUXXXXX!!!222

MY FAVart! songz IZZZ like EYWE!! et IT ! IZ DA FOOL!@$!@$!$pokahontas!@#$

:lol:

OMFG i Suxxxxx &*^&*&)@IM GooiNG 2 BURRN MaiZeLF LAike EDge

timothius said:

:lmao:

I now know what it's like to post on a Creed message board. :wink:

Creed message board particularly bad? I'm on The Killers Official its interesting:wink: I'm just glad the unofficial has mods...too many teenyboppers....

timothius said:

I have no idea. I've set up parental control to prevent anyone from visiting it.:wink:

I would imagine it's pretty bad though.

You have kids (or just taking advantage of Parents tyng to stop you accessing certain sites:wink)?...good idea for Creed though...hmm i heard Scott was obssessed with Bono even to the point of dressing like him?

LJT said:

You have kids (or just taking advantage of Parents tyng to stop you accessing certain sites:wink)?...good idea for Creed though...hmm i heard Scott was obssessed with Bono even to the point of dressing like him?

Haha I was only kidding. I don't have kids, I'm only 18 so having a few mini-timothiuii would be problematic.

When I saw my first Creed video clip I immediatly went... wow he is a touch obsessed with JT Bono.

Lemonfix said:
Here's a question....

Would you have preferred U2 had retired after POP? Do you think that nearly a decade down the road POP would be looked upon as a great accomplishment and coda to a career that always took chances?

Or despite the quality of the new albums are you glad they are still putting stuff out there and touring? Afterall, a bad album does not necessarily mean a bad tour.

(Of course I know if given the chance, you would answer C: They would be putting out better albums but that ain't a choice! :wink: )

i wish they had quit after pop, to be completely honest.

at least quit making new music. maybe a farewell tour would be good...not maybe, it WOULD have been great.

I don't, in any stretch of the imagination, hate the last 2 albums but think they could've done better... esp. with ATYCLB which was so safe and conservative. But hey, I'm sure it's not easy pulling off a classic album every single time! And NO, I would not have wanted them to retire after Pop. That would've sucked! Cos that was the time I was becoming a hardcore fan despite enjoying their music since 92.

I like the 2 last albums (much more HTDAAB than ATYCLB) so this doesn't applies to me.

Yes, I agree that they became too much safe. But they're still making good/great songs: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, When I look at the world, New York, COBL, Crumbs, One Step Closer, Yahweh.

So, I can't dislike the two last albums even if they don't totally satisfy me. In addition, ATYCLB and HTDAAB introduced me to U2.

Re: Re: For all those who hate the last 2 albums...

Zoomerang96 said:

i wish they had quit after pop, to be completely honest.

at least quit making new music. maybe a farewell tour would be good...not maybe, it WOULD have been great.

I completely agree with you, sad but true my friends :(

Re: Re: Re: For all those who hate the last 2 albums...

ponkine said:

I completely agree with you, sad but true my friends :(

Sad but true?

More like sad for you. :wink:

I kind of like the new direction (as far as HTDAAB goes especially). I mean, I certainly hope that they experiment more on the next album (DAMNIT GUYS, THINK A LITTLE OUT OF THE BOX AGAIN, CHRIST), but I really don't think ATYCLB and HTDAAB are THAT bad. HTDAAB's probably my 5th favorite album of theirs.

But then again, it's not like anything will be solved in this thread. There have already been a million of these, and I'm sure they'll be a million more. :huh:

NO.
HTDAAB is a great album.
It's so great that I forgive U2 for making ATYCLB.
In fact if they needed ATYCLB to make HTDAAB (just like they needed October to make War and R&H to make Achtung Baby) then there's a (very, very small) chance that one day I'll be glad they made ATYCLB...:|

...but now, thank you for making HTDAAB...
(especialy after lots of suffering and doubts in my favorite band in ATYCLB era)

Fuck the past, kiss the future...:rockon:

ATYCLB and HTDAAB are both by products of mess that became Pop. Pop is an interesting album and it took some chances, but it is not a "U2" classic. It was definitely within it's time and space, but I don't think it translates to the future.

That said, I agree the past two albums are a tad conservative, but I also like the fact that U2 took off the sunglasses looked in the mirror and remembered who they were. They are not NIN, or The Prodigy, or any of those sort of bands. They are a band who play guitar, bass and drums. Keyboards and loops enhance that sound, but they do not make U2 - U2.

bathiu said:
NO.
HTDAAB is a great album.
It's so great that I forgive U2 for making ATYCLB.
In fact if they needed ATYCLB to make HTDAAB (just like they needed October to make War and R&H to make Achtung Baby) then there's a (very, very small) chance that one day I'll be glad they made ATYCLB...:|

...but now, thank you for making HTDAAB...
(especialy after lots of suffering and doubts in my favorite band in ATYCLB era)

Fuck the past, kiss the future...:rockon:

Yar! :rockon: I couldn't say it better...

Reggie Thee Dog said:
ATYCLB and HTDAAB are both by products of mess that became Pop. Pop is an interesting album and it took some chances, but it is not a "U2" classic. It was definitely within it's time and space, but I don't think it translates to the future.

This is where we disagree. Pop IS a U2 classic. Not just a U2 classic, but simply, a classic. In my soul, it is in the top 2 or 3 records of U2's career, along with Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree. And I certainly believe very strongly that it is much much much much much better than ATYCLB or HTDAAB.

Last edited:
Reggie Thee Dog said:
I also like the fact that U2 took off the sunglasses looked in the mirror and remembered who they were. They are not NIN, or The Prodigy, or any of those sort of bands. They are a band who play guitar, bass and drums. Keyboards and loops enhance that sound, but they do not make U2 - U2.

Ok, I'm back. I don't like this statement at all, and do not like the band quotes where they say the same thing. I love seeing U2 take on different genres and sub-genres. For some reason alot people do not see ATYCLB as taking on a new genre, but I do. Not all of it is in a new vein though, there's vintage U2 in ATYCLB also. HTDAAB covers some new territory for U2 also, but it's not a big leap off the beaten path. I would condemn it for not being more experimental, if the songs weren't SO FREAKING AWESOME. It kind of quells my criticism when they produce songs at the quality level of MD, Sometimes, COBL, OSC, Yahweh, etc. They have just handed us a heck of a masterpiece, and all some of us can say is "That's not what I was wanting you to do."

In the MOJO interview, Bono says "It is songs, not ideas. Not sounds. Not sonic landscapes, which we can do 'til the cows come home." I can enjoy different philosophies of making music (alot of people here cannot). I'm not all depressed that they didn't approach this album the same as previous ones.
A good portion of music that I listen to is unconventional with crazy time signatures, and weird for the sake of weirdness. That doesn't mean that I can't pull out an album like HTDAAB, ATYCLB, Pop, or anything else by U2 and not be blown away by their ability to write stellar, meaningful songs.

Back
Top Bottom