Fishing for U2 fans...in everyday life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
At work the other day I was in the company of one of my usual conversation buddies around the cubicle, as well as a new girl who happened to be quite cute.

Anyhow, my friend and I were discussing production values of hip-hop tracks, and the various amounts of sparseness and space needed to make a track not sound too top heavy.

The new girl was quite interested in this discussion by two wannabe music producers, and was paying quite close attention. Suddenly I break out this "Exactly, I mean, you could say recording a song is like making a salad dressing - you need equal bits pepper, sweet, and sour."

Does anyone else drop random bits of U2-ness, hoping that the new girl will do a double take and tell you her favourite song is Mofo?

Yes! Someone just mentioned taking a drive to "see the sun rise over the whatever" <exact quote

I replied with hawkmoon lyrics :nerd:

they'd never heard the song :sad:

I listen out for people's ringtones...I heard a guys ringtone and it was Discotheque...he was a cool dude:cool:

LJT said:
I listen out for people's ringtones...I heard a guys ringtone and it was Discotheque...he was a cool dude:cool:

I would have humped the guy :drool: (my ringtone is Discotheque)

yeah I often try to mention U2 or Bono or drop some obscure reference in conversation to say if anyone notices...they never do :sad:

All the friggin time. Usually I'm lame and reuse lines so people start to catch on.

I use U2 song titles while driving. For example:
When a jerk is speeding past you and cuts you off even though there's a red light:
"What is this guy doing?? Running to Stand Still?"
When car lights are way to bright on your eyes:
"City of Blinding Lights over here!"

I've been known to throw out some Achtung Baby lines, especially from "The Fly" to try and sound like I know what I'm talking about. :huh:

the rockin edge said:
i don't think i drop random hints of U2-ness, but i do have seem to overhear people if they say anything related to U2. my ears must be tuned in for it :lol:

Me too! :drool:

Especially if the TV is on pretty low in the background and I'm listening to music. Someone says "Bono" and my ears just perk up.
Anytime I say "the edge" not referencing The Edge my friends roll their eyes at me. :shrug:
Can't help it if it's a word! :mad:

so you know that girl from American Pie? ["one time at band camp.."].. whenever I talk with my friends and such, I end up sounding exactly like her. :|

"One time (fill in blank with band members name) ..."

PlaTheGreat said:
All the friggin time. Usually I'm lame and reuse lines so people start to catch on.

When a jerk is speeding past you and cuts you off even though there's a red light:

I've been known to throw out some Achtung Baby lines, especially from "The Fly" to try and sound like I know what I'm talking about. :huh:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: This is SOOOO me! I am ALWAYS doing this! And I love to say or catch other people and laugh to myself when we say "you too" all the time, or if my son says "I love you too" Hahahahaha!

And YES Interferencers are awesome (most of them) here in Blue Crack Interference land!

You know what else is funny is and its true of most of us U2 fans, I'll be in a really noisy and crowded place and over the loudspeaker or speakers a U2 song will start and within the first notes which no one else claims to hear I can call out the song! Then I smile and sing along.

PlaTheGreat said:

:nerd:

Hmm, I don't drop subtle U2 references, I just blatantly show my fangirlishness any chance I get. Be it randomly bombarding anyone around me with random U2 facts, or embarrassing my friends and/or family when I run up to the giant cardboard iPod ad in Best Buy, put my hands on either side of Bono's photo and go "OMG look! It's my boyfriend!" :D

I'm always hoping will notice that my D&G sunglasses are the same kind Bono has worn. So then I can talk about Bono.

The other day I was driving and the woman in front of me had license plates that said U2 ZOO TV....I wanted to talk to her soooo bad, but decided this would be too stalker like.

Oh...my ring-tone is Vertigo...it cracks me up when my phone sings..."Hello...Hello.."

I'm so lame.:huh:

I end up jumping on anyone that makes any kind of U2 comment or reference, praying that they're as crazy as I am.....but they're usually not. :sad: The other day in Whole Foods, a guy had a u2.com Vertigo shirt---not just one from the tour, so I knew he had to actually visit the website to get it. I tried to start up a conversation with him, but he didn't seem to be very interested in talking U2. Oh well!

My ringtone is Beautiful Day & I'm often pretty proud when it goes off in public....:reject: :wink:

I hear the band's name every single day when I'm at work and somebody says 'you too' in response to something!

Pla's Running to stand still comment is great! :lol:

Oh.. and every time somebody says 'it's cold outside', I'm thinking 'but brightly lit'.

Probably my most interesting U2 reference.

Me: How is he supposed to know if he never talks to me?! It's like we're stuck in this moment and we're never going to get out of it.
My friend Dom: ...did you just work a U2 lyric into your vernacular?
Me: Yes.
Me: Yes I did.
Me: And I AM NO LONGER ASHAMED!
Dom: you fail.

I even tried to reword it so he wouldn't catch me, but...:tsk:

Oh well. I have come to terms with it. :lol:

Zootlesque said:

Oh.. and every time somebody says 'it's cold outside', I'm thinking 'but brightly lit'.

Me too, except I don't just think it, I sing it. Loudly. Sometimes I switch it up with "it gets so hot in here" :wink:

I was driving with this guy for my driver's ed class just a couple hours ago and he was asking me about what I'm into and I told him music and I said I had a band, and I threw in "yeah we're trying to do a cover of Vertigo right now" and he was like "Vertigo...high energy song. U2 is so amazing, putting out album after album of great songs." I was like YES. I started talking about U2 with him :lol: see?! it works sometimes!! nothin like saying "pop" and "achtung" and people actually knowing what you're talking about :drool:

AtomicBono said:

Me too, except I don't just think it, I sing it. Loudly. Sometimes I switch it up with "it gets so hot in here" :wink:

"it gets so hot in here" -- that's the one that always enters my mind. :lol:

I don't use U2 references as bait, but I amuse myself with such references. Just last night when I went to a Stereolab concert, someone shouted out "we came here for you, too" to the opening act. I was thinking "you came here for U2?! What?!" I seriously thought that was what was said, until I realized that it didn't make any sense.

Back
Top Bottom