First songs are great!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopTart Pamela

Acrobat
Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, Australia
I was thinking about U2 music the other day (as you do) and realised that many of the songs I really love are are first songs. What a collection they are! Just look at them

I Will Follow
Gloria
Sunday Bloody Sunday
A Sort of Homecoming
Streets
Helter Skelter
Zoostation
Zooroper
Discotheque
Beautiful Day

Some just grab you the moment you hear them - Zoostation, Discoteque
Others really set the scene for what is to come - Gloria, Helter Skelter, Beautiful Day
Some just grow on you and become favourites forever - A Sort of Homecoming, Zooroper

Think I will make a compillation. Together they really tell a story.

What do you think?
What is your favourite starter ? For me, Streets! What a song!
What a start ! So fitting when you consider what follows.
Lets have a discussion.

Pamela

i find it odd that you say "zooroper" is a good song.

how much do you listen to it? i mean, its "zooropa" when the song is played, and when bono sings zooropa it doesnt sound like zooroper....

i only mention this cause you said it twice in the last post...

maybe your just foolen around, and perhaps im just stupid.

well i am stupid, yes that has been established in the past already.

anyway.

just curious as to the obvious oddity is all.

:drool:

Every closing song since "40" has been fantastic too, with the arguable exception of Grace. The rest can't be argued, though, because you'd be wrong. :)

I also think it's somewhat of a strategy to put a strong song in first...
But for some odd reason, I tend to find ALL songs that are put on nr. 10 the best. Not necessarily U2 albums, but many other albums too.

ntech3215.jpg

This is the first thing that came to mind when I read "Zooroper." :lol:

Anyway, "Zooropa" is my favourite opening song. :)

Hmm.

1: I Will Follow, Gloria, Sunday Bloody Sunday, A Sort of Homecoming, Streets, Helter Skelter, Zoo Station, Zooropa, Discotheque, Beautiful Day

2: Twilight, I Fall Down, Seconds, Pride, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Van Diemen's Land, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Babyface, Do You Feel Loved, Stuck In A Moment

3: An Cat Dubh, I Threw A Brick Through A Window, New Year's Day, Wire, With Or Without You, Desire, One, Numb, Mofo, Elevation

4: Into The Heart, Rejoice, Like A Song, Unforgettable Fire, Bullet The Blue Sky, Hawkmoon 269, Until The End Of The World, Lemon, If God Will Send His Angels, Walk On

5: Out Of Control, Fire, Drowning Man, Promenade, Running To Stand Still, All Along The Watchtower, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Stay, Staring At The Sun, Kite

6: Stories For Boys, Tomorrow, The Refugee, 4th of July, Red Hill Mining Town, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (live gospel version), So Cruel, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, Last Night On Earth, In A Little While

7: The Ocean, October, Two Hearts Beat As One, Bad, In God's Country, (Freedom For My People), The Fly, Some Days Are Better Than Others, Gone, Wild Honey

8: A Day Without Me, With A Shout, Red Light, Indian Summer Sky, Trip Through Your Wires, Silver And Gold, Mysterious Ways, The First Time, Miami, Peace On Earth

9: Another Time Another Place, Stranger In A Strange Land, Surrender, Elvis Presley and America, One Tree Hill, Pride (live), Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World, Dirty Day, The Playboy Mansion, When I Look At The World

10: The Electric Co., Scarlet, 40, MLK, Exit, Angel Of Harlem, Ultraviolet, The Wanderer, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, New York

11: Shadows And Tall Trees, Is That All, Mothers Of The Disappeared, Love Rescue Me, Acrobat, Please, Grace

closers: Shadows And Tall Trees, Is That All, 40, MLK, Mothers Of The Disappeared, All I Want Is You, Love Is Blindness, The Wanderer, Wake Up Dead Man, Grace

I think I'm going to have to vote for #4 here.

Maybe someone should post a poll about this. I'm too lazy to figure out how.

Speedracer, I can't believe you wrote all that out. Your right, there should be a poll. Your also right about number 4 songs. Ages ago there was a thread where you had to choose ten songs - one from the first tracks, one from the second tracks and so on - four was nearly impossible!! - so many great songs.
Thanks for your post!

Pamela

Back
Top Bottom