FFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
Right yeah.

Bono does charity work. No secret. But there seems to be a general problem in peoples minds with this.

Im not going into the big details with this one, btu the general problem Im having, is that I cant mention to ANYONE that I like U2, without them going "WHY DOESNT BONO GIVE ALL HIS MONEY AWAY/I DONT LIKE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN MANSIONS TELLING ME TO GIVE ALL MY MONEY AWAY etc"

I mean WTF. Dont they have the brain power to read up on this shit and realise HE DOESNT FUCKING WELL ASK FOR MONEY???? Or at least get the facts straight about the stuff they accuse him off?

Yeah, he annoys me, he annoys all of us by ASKING, but I really dont get to the point were I throw my arms up and think "hell! hes so rich yet hes attempting to help people! what a shit!"

It really burns me that people can be so fucking ignorant. If it really bothers people they can easily ignore him and listen to the music. But no, they have to be arseholes, as if they hate bono that makes U2 a shit band right?

FFS. :mad:

BTW is there like a written up auto-response I can give to people who say things like that to me? As Im tired of constantly typing it up.

just tell them to STFU

It is quite annoying, I know. And can't people judge U2's music on its own without Bono's politics? I guess it was the same with Lennon :shrug:

Really, I mean, you can call Bono a hypocrite if you like, but at least he's doing something. He's certainly doing more than the people who do nothing but complain...

That's what makes me cringe about all of Bono's stuff that he does. People stop seeing U2 as a band; they just see Bono as a do-gooder who, they think, just wants attention. Hence, they have the urge to dislike him.

When I mention that I like U2, people act like I've just told them that I have a mental disorder. They're like, "You do? Oh..."

That's strange because I almost never experience anything like that. In fact, most people I know don't know much about Bono and U2, and sometimes I show and tell them stuff and they tend to be quite impressed. Others, who have a more ambivalent opinion are more negative towards U2's music than Bono's activism. Sometimes I witness some Bono bashing on various discussion boards, like in online editions of our national newspapers, but there are always people who are pro-Bono, so it's not all bad.

I don't experience much hate towards the band only because of him. And if I do, I must say, it doesn't bother me, why should it? Famous people like Bono always create controversy and hatred by people, many of them are ignorant and in fact don't know much about him.

I'm usually very proud to tell people that I'm a fan, I don't tell everyone I meet, I'm careful about that, but people who know me better know that about me, and it's hard to hide once you've been to my appartment.

So I don't get the whole frustration, it seems more like self-pity. I want to be proud of what I like and don't feel ashamed for it, I don't care what other people think.

unico said:
what is FFS? i totally came into this thread thinking U2 was making an appearance in a new Final Fantasy game.

For Fuck's Sake, how can you not know what FFS means? :wink:

There's been a lot of people getting angry about others opinions of U2 lately... just ignore it I reckon. I always do. We had some band come and play for us today, and they played Pride. And I copped it no end as we were walking out. "what a pussy song, the bass does nothing, blah blah blah" and I just go "watEVS."

I didn't know what FFS meant either.

unico said:

:lol: I didn't realize Pete had changed his name.

:lol:

We went to a travel agent to check out prices for Dublin.
When we was talking to one of the agents another one joined our conversation.

My mum said we're U2 fans and we're going U2 sight-seeing. One of them said about The Clarence hotel saying it was rather exspensive, and the other girl just came out and said ''why does Bono have an exspensive hotel for..its not like he's a celebrity, he isnt famous or anything''

I was with my mum, dad, and brother and we all went :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: at her.

The only place I've heard people viciously attack Bono is on the internet where they can be all tough and hide behind their keyboards :tsk:

Most people I know think the stuff Bono does is cool.

I actually had a buddy in school, he loved the stuff U2 did (this was back in the '80s) - but he didn't like their music. He'd tell me all the time "U2 are so cool, I wish I could get into them...but their music kinda sucks".

An Englishman once told me FFS was Fuck For Sake, but For Fuck's Sake makes more sense I think. :)

I'm 16, so pretty much everyone hates U2 because they all think it's adult contemporary. Of course, the only songs they've heard of have been from the recent albums, so they're right about that. :shrug:

I just tell them, you've probably not heard their old stuff, it's way better.

So basically these complainers are saying this:

"Bono is a dirty greedy hypocrite because he has a lot of money and doesn't give it all away, yet spends a huge portion of his life helping others. I don't have much money so I don't have to give anything away, and I do nothing to help others".

I think the reason why a lot of people complain about people like Bono is because he holds them to a higher standard. One where they actually have to get off their butts and do something. Since these people know that they should be doing something to help, they get all defensive when Bono calls em out on it.

It's human nature.

Back
Top Bottom