favourite one hit wonders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Macarena
macarena.gif

omg you are taking us back in time! Terrence Trent Darby was supposed to be the next big thing, and Golden Earring, can remember the videos, think they were from Holland? Often think about what it must be like for those people, they think they are on top of the world, they have a hit record, they make videos, do appearances, sign autographs, get bookings...and the next year they are back to being nobody. You realize how few actually make it to have lifelong performing careers. How about that Luft Ballon group from Germany, 99 Luft balloons. Remember the other one, you're my obcession, with the blond chick, we saw that video about 100x a day on MTV, then they fell off the face of the earth. VH1 keeps us up-to-date on all of these. Where's Paul Young?

Have to edit, that is hysterical, the Macarena up there! It was like the third listen to that, and seeing anybody doing that dance, you wanted to scream.

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 01-26-2002).]

Originally posted by njf77:
Blind Melon " No Rain"

Semisonic "Closing Time"

OMD.....Closing Time. MAAAN. I was in 8th grade, and we were all getting ready to graduate....that was THE song.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~
"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~BONO~

LOVE me, give me SOUL

O YEAH YEAH YEAH...

OLP are certainly not one hit wonders...they have had more than one hit in Canada (although some were not noticed in the US) with most notably, Superman's Dead, Clumsy, One Man Army, Is Anybody Home?, Life, etc.

Here is another one hit wonder I just thought of, this song is hilarious - "Don't You Want Me" by Human League!

"You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar, when I met youuu...." lol

Originally posted by ouizy:
Sneaker Pimps are still around, and yes they ditched the "chick." I see them in the Village Voice playing NYC every once in a while. Here are mine:

Bran Van 3000 - Drinking in L.A.
Breeders - Cannonball
Eels - Novacaine for the Soul
EMF - Unbelievable
I Mother Earth - Not Quite Sonic
Jesus Jones - Right Here Right Now
Letters to Cleo - Here and Now
Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
Neds Atomic Dustbin - Grey Cell Green
Our Lady Peace - Starseed
Snow - Informer
Soho - Hippie Chick
Soup Dragons - I'm Free
Veruca Salt - Volcano Girls (although I think they had another 'hit')

Anyone agree with these???

Our Lady Peace - Starseed
Anyone agree with these???

HAve you been living uncer a rock?

Naveed, Is Anybody Home, One Man Army, Theif, Life, Spirtual Machines, Automatic Flowers, Clumsy, etc, etc...I'd hardly call them one hit wonders.

Although I may be somewhat biased as I live in Canada, where they're played all the time...
smile.gif

How 'bout that movie--"That thing you do" where their name was the "One-ders"

Kina--Girl from the gutter
Bush X--more like 2 hit wonders
Edwin-Alive
Eden's Crush--Get over yourself
Edwin Mccain--I'll be (love's suicide)
Willa Ford--I wanna be bad

Originally posted by U2live:
How about that Luft Ballon group from Germany, 99 Luft balloons.

The band was called "Nena" (=name of the female singer).

Another one hit wonder I really loved when I was - ehm - young: Howzat by Sherbet (don't know if it's spelled right...)

wink.gif

annalivia

oh--- totally forgot about rap's one hit wonders. Baby's Got Back from from guy and Just a Friend by Biz Markee. It was during my NKOTB phase, I was in to cheesy music.

Originally posted by sharky:
Just a Friend by Biz Markee.

OMG! *lmao* I'd forgotten about that song...I'm crackin' up just thinkin' 'bout it!!!

And I'm in the library...

And people are staring...

*almost feels self-conscious*

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - "Relax"......who would have guessed that during the Regan era, a band could have the entire country singing the most homoerotic song ever recorded?

icon9.gif
icon9.gif
icon9.gif
icon9.gif

------------------
the lights are down, but you don't sleep so tight. the word's around that we play for keeps tonight...
ME!

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
Terence Trent D'Arby a one-hit wonder?!
Dire Straits one hit wonders?!
Jesus Jones... a single person?!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Almost as silly as you are for actually knowing that Terence Trent D'Arby had more than one hit.
wink.gif
kidding kidding. Of course they had more than one hit, but in the US Terence went as quickly as he came.

Try to take into consideration that we're getting a global view here, so what was a one hit wonder band in the States isn't necessarily true for the UK or the rest of Europe or Australia.

You're right about Dire Straits though. They had a string of hits - Romeo and Juliet and Roller Girl to name a couple, not to mention the slew of well received songs from Brothers In Arms in the 1980's that actually made it's way onto fickle American radios. <--- a feat in itself. Not to mention that Money For Nothing video that was high tech in the computer graphics for the time that wowed audiences.

As for Jesus Jones, I think most people *know* it was more than one guy supposedly named 'Jesus Jones' (Ian and Mike, plus supporting musicians I think...) I just think with a band name that represents a singular entity/name, it's easy to get caught up in referring to the band as a one man show.

Originally posted by kariatari:

OK, NKOTB did NOT have just one hit.
mad.gif
I only know this because before I became a die-hard U2 fan, I was a crazed NKOTB fan. They had "Step by Step" and "Hangin' Tough" and "Cover Girl" and "Popsicle".
biggrin.gif

LMAO!! Don't forget "I'll Remember" sung by Mr. Joseph McCintyre. He was my favorite!
biggrin.gif

Also:

Cotton-Eye Joe by whoever the hell sang it
Take on Me by aHa (cool video too)

Originally posted by sharky:
I'm so glad others are saying NKOTB was no a one-hit wonder. It makes me feel less embarassed about my 13-year-old obsession.

Did that mean your obsession lasted 13 years, or it happened when you were 13?
smile.gif

Ok, guys, guys. The one hit wonder of all time has got to be

standing outside a broken phone booth with change in my hand - primitive radiogods

yarof

I seen 3rd Eye Blind listed 2 times, where were you people back in 97 when the radio played about 5 diff songs of theirs?

Then in 99 they had another song that was off their last album that was on the radio a lot and had a video that was kind of an homage to Dancin With Myself.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Where is Canada anyway???

(Heh heh heh)

I am actually working on the new Toronto airport.

I still think Starseed is their only hit (down here south of the border at least!)

Adam's Mistress, I totally agree with your analysis, and I also love Sweet Jane by the cowboy junkies.

Where is Canada anyway???

(Heh heh heh)

I am actually working on the new Toronto airport.

I still think Starseed is their only hit (down here south of the border at least!)

Adam's Mistress, I totally agree with your analysis, and I also love Sweet Jane by the cowboy junkies.

I'm surprised. Starseed isn't even their best song. Ah blarg

You're working on the new TO airport? Wait a sec, Toronto's getting a new airport?

Originally posted by adam's_mistress:
Almost as silly as you are for actually knowing that Terence Trent D'Arby had more than one hit.
wink.gif
kidding kidding. Of course they had more than one hit, but in the US Terence went as quickly as he came.

Try to take into consideration that we're getting a global view here, so what was a one hit wonder band in the States isn't necessarily true for the UK or the rest of Europe or Australia.

You're right about Dire Straits though. They had a string of hits - Romeo and Juliet and Roller Girl to name a couple, not to mention the slew of well received songs from Brothers In Arms in the 1980's that actually made it's way onto fickle American radios. <--- a feat in itself. Not to mention that Money For Nothing video that was high tech in the computer graphics for the time that wowed audiences.

As for Jesus Jones, I think most people *know* it was more than one guy supposedly named 'Jesus Jones' (Ian and Mike, plus supporting musicians I think...) I just think with a band name that represents a singular entity/name, it's easy to get caught up in referring to the band as a one man show.

You have my total respect
biggrin.gif

Anyone else remember "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" by the Crash Test Dummies?

Or "Counting Blue Cars" (Tell me all your thoughts on God) by Dishwalla?

oh i got a beauty to add to this discussion.

Transvision Vamp - I Want Your Love

critically everyone HATED them, yet they churned out a hit in their time.

hey someone mentioned Eels earlier on in this discussion

there was a band named Eels that released an album in 2001 named Souljacker

im not entirely sure that they are the same group, having seen the video for Novacaine for the Soul recently and also seeing the video for Souljacker Pt1

Back
Top Bottom