Favorite U2 era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cujo

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I was going through my collection as a whole yesterday, and realized just how diverse a catalogue U2 has... massive. Anyway, I got to thinking about what time period was my favorite, which incarnation of U2 was the most inspirational, original, or just plain great.

What do you guys think?

Personally I've gone back to the pre-Joshua Tree, Live Aid era; the energy they had then was raw and their success hadn't reached its fever pitch yet (before they were officially Rock's Hottest Ticket). Their performances, especially Larry's were awesome (as they still are today). Which time do you favor... or do you want to be a fence-sitter and wait for the next record?

Really good question Cujo. I'd have to say I've liked everything from Achtung Baby on quite a bit more than the stuff before that.

Sure I really like the stuff before it too, but I like all the stuff in the '90's on the best. ZooTV, Pop, Elevation. Great stuff.

depends on what i feel like listening to. and there's not a whol lot of bands you can say that about. right now...probably elevation...about month ago, it was boy/october stuff...usually zoo tv is my favourite...but then sometimes pop is my favourite album...and i also can't wait for the new one...

Achtung, although I find the whole early period fascinating. Did the fans and the band themselves know theyd be so big twenty years on? Could they have predicted the Lemons? Ahh...

yertle-the-turtle said:
although I find the whole early period fascinating. Did the fans and the band themselves know theyd be so big twenty years on?

Oh, yeah, I wonder about that sometimes, too.

I would love to have seen their reactions if we all told them what their future would hold...they would've thought we were crazy.

Favorite era...lookswise, this is easy for me.

Musicwise, that's hard-I like every era of their music, there's something about each era that makes it special, at least to me.

Angela

Wow! I'm so surprised to see so many are picking the era I was going to pick, UF! :happy: Bono's voice was really at its best and he looked so fine. ALL the guys looked good in UF. They had so much energy and passion in their music and their live shows. They were in their prime. Several people I asked who had seen every tour, or every tour since War, picked UF as the best live show. JT was also very special and great! They became a household name (they already were to me!) and were seen and heard everywhere. And do I have to mention :drool: :censored: Those eras were awesome. Real power and glory!

The Elevation tour was incredible and had that special feeling. That tour had one thing no other tour had- the whole past catalog to play from! It was a wonderful era because of all this and knowing they had achieved rock and roll immortality:yes: Lately I've been hearing guys on the radio say after JT they didn't think they could get any bigger or better until Elevation, and what a special experience it was.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
cujo -

I must agree with you: Live Aid era U2 was something very special. The band found their voice in 1984, and in 1985 they let out their first true scream.

That's my favorite era, but I would make it from UF until before Rattle and Hum. There's something amazing about UF and JT, when U2 was finding their voice that I can't describe.

For so many months now it is the early stuff of U2 for me. In the moment I'm rather listening to the JT era, but there is nothing like Boy or War.

Basing this decision on which shows I would go see if I had a time machine at my disposal, it's a tie between AB/Zooropa era and the really early Boy/Pre-Boy days.

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had trouble picking their favorite era. Mine changes from week to week as well, but I wrote this thread to try to find out if any one could clearly say what they like the most. I think U2 fans have a real hard time with this because there is so much variety and quality; definitely one of the most difficult questions to answer...

Next week I think it will be POP...

Personally I liked the Love Town period (sort of an extension of the Joshua Tree). U2 had conquered the world already and were just out there kicking ass. Bono was singing so hard he was destroying his voice. Setlists were mixed up (at least somewhat for U2). Plus I thought it struck the perfect balance of the serious side of U2 and the this is a rock concert, lets have fun vibe.

A close 2nd for me is Popmart and Elevation. I did enjoy Zoo but I had a better time personally during Popmart and I thought the Elevation performances were better.

It's hard for me to say because I love all the eras but I think the 2 that stand out are the time up to JT because that is when I fell in love with U2. The other is Elevation because this was a time when I really needed some positive distraction in my life which they provided and as a result I fell in love with them all over again...not that I ever stopped.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Achtung, although I find the whole early period fascinating. Did the fans and the band themselves know theyd be so big twenty years on? Could they have predicted the Lemons? Ahh...

I was talking to a lady in one of my classes at college, and she said a friend of hers happened to be bartending the night U2 first came to Buffalo in Dec. 1980, and it was only their 3rd US show ever. Her friend said they were a horrible little punk band and she cannot believe that U2 are the band she saw that night. By the way, this lady and her friend are both U2 fans...haha.

My favorite eras are this one and JT.

Well, I've only been a fan through the ATYCLB-Elevation era... I've missed out on so much! :( :( :(

Musically, my favourite era right now is probably "Unforgettable Fire". I listen to UF and "Wide Awake in America" EP a lot; simply enchanting stuff.

Visually-wise, AB-ZooTV has always been my favourite era in terms of videos and the visual identity of the band. You just can't get more iconic than The Fly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom