Favorite U2 era - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2003, 02:05 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:50 PM
1. JT/RH era
2. Three-way tie between War, UF and Achtung Baby/Zooropa eras.

Old 02-16-2003, 02:18 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:50 AM
I came to U2 during the AB period.. but UF and all that surrounds it has a large place in my

Old 02-16-2003, 04:12 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had trouble picking their favorite era. Mine changes from week to week as well, but I wrote this thread to try to find out if any one could clearly say what they like the most. I think U2 fans have a real hard time with this because there is so much variety and quality; definitely one of the most difficult questions to answer...

Next week I think it will be POP...
Old 02-16-2003, 04:54 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Personally I liked the Love Town period (sort of an extension of the Joshua Tree). U2 had conquered the world already and were just out there kicking ass. Bono was singing so hard he was destroying his voice. Setlists were mixed up (at least somewhat for U2). Plus I thought it struck the perfect balance of the serious side of U2 and the this is a rock concert, lets have fun vibe.

A close 2nd for me is Popmart and Elevation. I did enjoy Zoo but I had a better time personally during Popmart and I thought the Elevation performances were better.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:23 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
It's hard for me to say because I love all the eras but I think the 2 that stand out are the time up to JT because that is when I fell in love with U2. The other is Elevation because this was a time when I really needed some positive distraction in my life which they provided and as a result I fell in love with them all over again...not that I ever stopped.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:56 PM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
Achtung, although I find the whole early period fascinating. Did the fans and the band themselves know theyd be so big twenty years on? Could they have predicted the Lemons? Ahh...

I was talking to a lady in one of my classes at college, and she said a friend of hers happened to be bartending the night U2 first came to Buffalo in Dec. 1980, and it was only their 3rd US show ever. Her friend said they were a horrible little punk band and she cannot believe that U2 are the band she saw that night. By the way, this lady and her friend are both U2 fans...haha.

My favorite eras are this one and JT.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:17 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Well, I've only been a fan through the ATYCLB-Elevation era... I've missed out on so much!

Musically, my favourite era right now is probably "Unforgettable Fire". I listen to UF and "Wide Awake in America" EP a lot; simply enchanting stuff.

Visually-wise, AB-ZooTV has always been my favourite era in terms of videos and the visual identity of the band. You just can't get more iconic than The Fly.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:25 PM   #28
War Child

The Live Aid time is cool. My favorite overall era is probably AB/Zoo TV. I just love MacPhisto and The Fly.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:41 PM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

UF for me.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:03 AM   #30
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 09:50 PM
i have to say UF...it was my first love.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:18 AM   #31
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:50 PM
As wth most people its hard to choose. Each era is unique, has its own character - love them all for different reasons
But I wll have to go for Rattle & Hum, which no one has mentioned, and it is hard to know why - they looked and sounded just incredible - glory days. Bonos voice was searing and Edge was flying without wings. I also love it because it was the end of a phase.You cannot imagine they would want to dream it up all over again - but they did!!

Also love UF era - the Bad on WAIA is perfection - my fav U2 recording above all others!

Pamela
Old 02-17-2003, 12:48 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
Well, I've only been a fan through the ATYCLB-Elevation era... I've missed out on so much!
Same here....

Quote:
Musically, my favourite era right now is probably "Unforgettable Fire". I listen to UF and "Wide Awake in America" EP a lot; simply enchanting stuff.
Yeah...I listened to their early stuff last night...their early stuff is just so full of energy-it's great.

Quote:
Visually-wise, AB-ZooTV has always been my favourite era in terms of videos and the visual identity of the band. You just can't get more iconic than The Fly.
That I agree with you on. The whole ZooTV concept is just mind-blowing.

As for The Fly-he is the epitome of cool.

Angela
Old 02-17-2003, 01:30 PM   #33
War Child

wink

I would have to chose AB era But as of recently I have really been into the Unforgetable Fire era, but it changes all the time!
Old 02-17-2003, 01:41 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:50 PM
POP!! great music, great look............
Old 02-17-2003, 04:11 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by PopTart, Pamela
As wth most people its hard to choose. Each era is unique, has its own character - love them all for different reasons
But I wll have to go for Rattle & Hum, which no one has mentioned, and it is hard to know why - they looked and sounded just incredible - glory days. Bonos voice was searing and Edge was flying without wings. I also love it because it was the end of a phase.You cannot imagine they would want to dream it up all over again - but they did!!

Also love UF era - the Bad on WAIA is perfection - my fav U2 recording above all others!

Pamela
Hey, I mentioned it, look back at my post. Lovetown was the Rattle and Hum tour basically and the same period. I just wish there were better bootlegs of the Australian leg which was the first leg of that tour. For Lovetown only, U2 was actually at its best at the beginning IMO. Those shows are amazing to hear.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:21 PM   #36
War Child

War era. they hadn't quite become "mainstream" yet. and they were so full of passion
Old 02-17-2003, 07:40 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

As for The Fly-he is the epitome of cool.

Angela
Yes he was/is! Hot too! As much as I love 80's U2 and Elevation U2 there is something about ZOOTV that is so appealing visually, and the music too of course. Some of my favorite 'hot Bono pics' are AB/Zooropa era. The One bar video, the Stay video, ZOOTV Sydney, oooohhhh

Doggone it U2, there's just so much to love!
Old 02-17-2003, 07:51 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

Perfectly stated in one sentence!
Old 02-17-2003, 09:40 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:

Yes he was/is! Hot too! As much as I love 80's U2 and Elevation U2 there is something about ZOOTV that is so appealing visually, and the music too of course. Some of my favorite 'hot Bono pics' are AB/Zooropa era. The One bar video, the Stay video, ZOOTV Sydney, oooohhhh
Other than the fact that I've never seen the ZooTV Sydney thing, I agree with you on the other stuff, with the videos and all that.

The music was definitely awesome during that time-not only do I love Bono's Fly character, I love the song "The Fly"-that has brilliant lyrics in it, every single line is just fantastic in that song.

Achtung Baby is one kickass album.

Quote:
Tell me about it...

Angela
Old 02-18-2003, 03:07 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:50 PM
I'm fascinated by the Rattle and Hum era U2. Edge dressed like a farmer and Bono dressed like uhh I don't know what he was trying to pull off. He wore aviator sunglasses, and had really long hair and wore weird pin stripped pants and a black vest, he looked like a weird mafia drug dealer.