Favorite Edge solo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UnforgettableLemon said:
I was just listening to Street Mission, from the pre-Boy era. That song has a SICK guitar solo. Possibly the most classic-rock-esque Edge has ever been. Love that song. But I think Edge's best solo is the live verison of "Love is Blindness"

Yes, the 4-part guitar solo at the end of Love is Blindness. I'm with you on that, dude. :up:

I still think the best version of it is from Stockholm in '93.

UnforgettableLemon said:
SV- The 11 O'Clock solo- are you talking about the regular one or the "grandfather clock" solo on UABRS (and at the very very hard to hear end of the studio version)?

That's funny, I refer to it as the "church bells" solo. I really liked that when I first got into UABRS. :)

I'd like to add a perverse vote for the solo in the *studio* version of Love is Blindness (the one that comes in after the line '...a dangerous idea that almost makes sense'). It feels like it's going to turn into an epic rock-god solo, but Edge keeps it beautifully minimal.

What about All Along the Watchtower from Point Depot? That's one sick guitar solo.

UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD LIVE!!!!!!!!
also i agree with bullet live...
and the fly solo is on a different level than life itself

Love is Blindness(live) - especially the version from Birmingham, June 1st 1992. Fuckin' incredible. Best solo I ever heard in my life.

Other solos worth mentioning:
The Fly
Acrobat
Miracle Drug
Dirty Day(live)
Hawkmoon 269(live)
God Part II(live)
Until the End of the World
11 O'Clock Tick Tock(live)
Desire(live on some versions of the Australian Lovetown Tour and in Rotterdam, January 10th 1990. He shreds!)

I have to go with the Fly live. That's my favourite.

Also, I really like New Years Day solo from Slane DVD.

A live Fly is pretty wicked, but I'm an End of the World kind of guy. :wink:

I would also like to mention the solo for Kite. Might be too short, but every note in that one is worth a lot.
Bullet doesn't need my mention, but it is obviously a killer. I think Love and Peace... live is going to bring an extended closing solo with it. Just a hunch. It might blow the roofs off stadiums/arenas.

The Fly live,

but I remember he did one when U2 played with Sting in Invisible Sun. For some reason I remember it as, shall we say, enjoyable. (I'm assuming, possibly wrongly, that it's Edge). If someone knows anything about this let me know.

Bullet the blue sky, although if i were to name one of the new songs i personally love the solo following Bono's scream on ABOY! It rocks totally and i can't wait to see them play it on the tour!
Bring it on!!!

Just one?

The fly, though Love and peace or else might replace it.

Last edited:
It is a toss up between the following three solos:

1. Fly (album) I love the live stuff but the album version is transcendental.

2. Bullet (live) Any time I hear a friend say, "The Edge isn't a good guitar player 'cause he never solos." I invariably whip out the Sydney video or Boston and after they wet their pants and I hand them a towel to clean it up, they quickly change their uneducated opinion.

3. Until the End of the world - live or studio. All of us have our "U2 crying moments." Mine was hearing this live in Denver during the Elevation tour. I wept like a little girl. At least my wife was there to hold my hand.

When you talk about long(+15 seconds), elaborate, unique, masterpiece solos there are three that stand out in my book:

1.Fly
2.All I want...
3.UTEOTW

then there's:

Bullet
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Ground beneath her feet
WILATW
Love is Blindness
Even Better than the real thing
One live (Elevation tour)

in any order.
:bow: :edge:

love and peace or else

maybe not THE greatest but it will be awesome live!

Back
Top Bottom