Favorite Bono Moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00Kevin

War Child
Your favorite part of a song, his performances at live aid and live 8, just anything having to deal with bono. Mine is when he screams the lines "I'm Wide Awake" in bad.

I really enjoyed the story/speech he told at the VH1 Rock in Roll Hall of Fame:up: The one about Adam really made my heart melt!!! I fell in love with Adam that night:adam: :bono: :heart:

Actually, in music ... I'd say some performances when Bono would pull a girl up onstage ... :drool:

Red Rocks ... during 11 O' Clock Tick Tock :bow:

ZOO TV ... Love Is Blindness :love:

PopMart ... at the end of If You Wear That Velvet Dress to the intro of With Or Without You :applaud:

Elevation ... With Or Without You :kiss:

at anaheim 4/1 when he pulled up a girl on the stage...i think she made bono nervous yet he played it real cool and witty.

When he stepped out of the Lincoln in Chicago and we just looked at each for a second before he took my hand in both of his and gave a little squeeze while looking right into my eyes...:combust:

:D

Last edited:
Every good action he does.

His live performances

MacPhisto :mac:

Speech in Paris '95, "what a bomb..."

»»»» The line "I'm a man, I'm not a child, a man who sees the shadow behind your eyes" KITE

All his performance in Streets, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming.

His lyrics in One Tree Hill, One, Zooropa, Stay (faraway, so close), Walk On, Wake Up Dead Man, UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD.

When he smiled at me during Yahweh at the Chicago 5/7 show. :)

But for something the whole world can share, I'd have to go with the moment he first stepped out onto a stage dressed as the Fly, and history was made. :bono:

Maybe not a great moment, but subtle and cool I think:

On the song "Wire" right after the lyric 'here we are again now place your bets' you can hear him laugh slightly, as if someone in the control booth did something to crack him up.

I've always liked that.

I know this is a ridiculously obvious one, but the first thought that popped into my head was him jumping down from the stage at Live Aid to dance with an audience member. I loved it even more when I read the story in the News section where the girl (now a woman in her mid-30s) was interviewed and she said Bono saved her from being crushed by the crowd. :heart:

Ahhhh my favourite Bono moment was when he was the coolest guy on the planet back in 1992. I don't know if anyone remembers this but he was doing an intereview sat with the Edge and he had this Black velvet suit on and they were at the rehearsals for the Zoo Tv gig. Anyway he was sat telling a story about when U2 went to see Frank Sinatra in March 1987 and in the middle of Frank Sinatras gig, Sinatra put the spotlight on them and said that they were number 1 in the USA at the time, I think March 1987. So U2 stood up and did the wave vibe as Bono puts it, they were kinda dressed in worn out denims etc and then Frank Sinatra says "Well you didn't spend a dime on clothes". Bono ends the story by standing up in this interview back in 1992 wearing this black velvet suit and saying "Can you see me now Frank". Yes the ultra cool bono and a great story, but I suppose you would have to see it to appreciate it.:wink:

"Oh look Edge, a beach ball!"

:wink:

his, uh, experience with Melpop... *insanely jealous*

the song Mercy. the whole thing. That has Bono written all over it. And Gone, too.

Everytime he hugs/kisses/shows affection for Edge :cute:

"There's something I meant to do today...and I think it was you"

The Fly.

MacPhisto.

The song and video for "One." (bar)

That time I was like 30 feet away from him and I could see the colour in his eyes.

MrBrau1 said:

"Hey" @ 4:00 in Crumbs.

love that part.

i thought as this as a moment, not part of a song, so I would go with the "fuck up the mainstream" speech.

Personal: When he shook my 2-yr-old's hand and said "Hi, Hunter."

Widespread: When in the third version of "One," he stops after singing "You said" and looks dead into the camera. It feels like he is looking right at you.

Both are melt moments for me.

Right now, seeing his success at Live 8 and the G8 and at calling the world's attention to African issues. He truly deserves the Nobel Peace Prize this year.

Oh, yeah, he's still on one of the most succesful concert tours in history, too. And the whole World Bank thing still amazes me.

MsMofoGone said:
The Golden Globes speech ... F*CKIN' BRILLIANT !! :applaud:

That's what I was going to say, LOL! I laughed so hard that night.

Other than that, I'd have to say:

Live Aid
his speech at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony
When he met the Pope
the concert just before the Good Friday Agreement was signed

Someone else said the song Mercy; I'll second that. Pure genius, that song is--and full of emotions I can't name.

rjhbonovox, i saw that, and i remember it very well, it was maybe the epitome moment of coolness
wish i could see it somewhere!

X-it 7 said:
Maybe not a great moment, but subtle and cool I think:

On the song "Wire" right after the lyric 'here we are again now place your bets' you can hear him laugh slightly, as if someone in the control booth did something to crack him up.

I've always liked that.

So awesome of you to mention that. Have always loved that and never heard anyone else mention it. Cool.

MacPhistoPT said:
Every good action he does.

»»»» The line "I'm a man, I'm not a child, a man who sees the shadow behind your eyes" KITE

This is the first thing that popped into my head. When he sings that part on the slane dvd :sad: I'ts beautiful!

Loved at Live 8 the expression on his face when he first walked out on stage.

:drool:

ravenette said:
The leap on July 13th, 1985.

there are thousands of unbelievable and unforgettable bono moments as singer, performer, celebrity, politician, that makes him such a unique character, but the above quoted tops them all.

ravenette said:
The leap on July 13th, 1985.

Umm what leap? I know Bono jumping of scaffolding into crowds and what not...umm but what leap is this?

Nube Gris said:
rjhbonovox, i saw that, and i remember it very well, it was maybe the epitome moment of coolness
wish i could see it somewhere!

Its a great interview and Edge looks pretty cool sat there as well but he don't say anything.

Also gotta agree with the Paris speech 1995, how did it go "what a night, etc .......what a wanker you have for president", great speech.

Also anyone see when U2 were accepting an award in that Irish bar and they were talking to Phil Collins by satellite link. I think it was November 1992 or maybe 1993 MTV awards or something but Larry wasn't there and Phil Collins asked to speak to him and Edge said "Larrys not here at the moment Phil, you know how funny drummers get when they start to sing" and Adam says "Just like to say that our parents are all great fans of your music, Phil" hehehe what a piss taking bunch. The bar was lined up with Guiness and spirits and Bono looked like he didn't know what day it was he was wobbling. Anyone remember this? I have it on video somewhere its a great clip.:wink:

rjhbonovox said:
Ahhhh my favourite Bono moment was when he was the coolest guy on the planet back in 1992. I don't know if anyone remembers this but he was doing an intereview sat with the Edge and he had this Black velvet suit on and they were at the rehearsals for the Zoo Tv gig. Anyway he was sat telling a story about when U2 went to see Frank Sinatra in March 1987 and in the middle of Frank Sinatras gig, Sinatra put the spotlight on them and said that they were number 1 in the USA at the time, I think March 1987. So U2 stood up and did the wave vibe as Bono puts it, they were kinda dressed in worn out denims etc and then Frank Sinatra says "Well you didn't spend a dime on clothes". Bono ends the story by standing up in this interview back in 1992 wearing this black velvet suit and saying "Can you see me now Frank". Yes the ultra cool bono and a great story, but I suppose you would have to see it to appreciate it.:wink:

I remember all the Sinatra stories well. Furthermore, while I always respected Sinatra, it was because of his close interactions with U2 - especially Bono - that turned me on to his music. For a long time, I felt he was of my "mother's generation". But a great song by a great artist is timeless - and thanks to Sinatra reaching out to U2, I was able to see how great Sinatra really was.

As for my favorite Bono moments... I love when he did his "opera" voice back in the JT/R&H days (he doesn't do this too often any more as he used that as a false voice to help him hit notes - but it was cool then); I love his lyrics on 95% of the songs he writes, but I'd say my favorite Bono moment is right now, when he's stopped preaching and started doing. His activism has turned him away from a "goody, goody rock star who wants to feel good about himself" to that of a person who has influenced the world. Unless you are under a rock, you've heard of Bono - love him or hate him - and you just have to acknowledge what he's done. If the U.S. wants to call itself a "Christian" nation, then it should look to Bono for guidance (not our politicians). Nowhere is there a man more selfless, open-minded, tireless, and accepting. Yes, he gets angry - but then, so did Jesus. Great job Bono!

Back
Top Bottom