Favorite B-Side of ALL TIME!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Summer Rain

should have been on ATYCLB. I think it was a bonus track on some version of it.

beautifully simple song, easily some of Bono's best post-2000 lyrics, pretty melody... and, like Always, it somehow brings about a feeling of joy within me. It makes me smile. Oh, and the production doesn't suck! :happy:

I can't believe only one person mentioned Love Comes Tumbling. That is freakin' sweet song. The lack of lyrics is madce up by 'uh huh huh huh huh's' and awesome guitar, bass, drums. It's an amazing song, and my best b-side. Can we make a poll?

Spanish Eyes has never been a favourite b-side of mine.

best cover version is Unchained Melody, I dont think Night and Day counts as a B side.
but the best b-sides have to be lady with the spinning head, spanisg eyes and the three sunrises. All three could have been succesful singles.

Have to give it to Lady With the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix) nudging out Halelujah Here She Comes.

Rounding out the top ten then would be:

Night & Day (Steel String)
Are You Gonna Wait Forever
Treasure
Love Comes Tumbling
Always
Salome
North & South Of The River
Spanish Eyes

AtomicBono said:
Summer Rain

should have been on ATYCLB. I think it was a bonus track on some version of it.

beautifully simple song, easily some of Bono's best post-2000 lyrics, pretty melody... and, like Always, it somehow brings about a feeling of joy within me. It makes me smile. Oh, and the production doesn't suck! :happy:

:up: It also sounds spontaneous, like it came easily.

Was there a regular version of Lady with the Spinning Head? or just the extended dance mix and the UV1 mix? The same with Holy Joe, were there just the two mixes?

Zootlesque said:
But Mercy is not a B-side. It's just this leaked track.

Fast Cars is not a B-side either. It's a bonus track.

Ok then what's the difference between b-sides and leaked tracks???

Because I thought b-sides where just tracks that didn't make it on the orignal release of an album.

But I've always seen Mercy and Fast Cars classified as b-sides

fear_nothing said:

As I understand it, B-sides are songs that are not included on the album but on the B-side of a single. The term comes from the days of when a record/cassette had 2 sides. Of course it doesn't really make sense in the CD era.

Leaked tracks are I guess simply songs that are released knowingly or unknowingly to fans.

I know Mercy is widely considered a B-side on the internet but it's clearly not true.

fear_nothing said:

Because I thought b-sides where just tracks that didn't make it on the orignal release of an album.

But I've always seen Mercy and Fast Cars classified as b-sides

B-sides are extra songs on commercially released singles. Like Zootlesque said, it's a term from the days of vinyl that has been appropriated for use in the CD era, though if the predictions that the CD single will become a thing of the past in favour of the Internet come true, the term may become redundant or find another new meaning.

As it stands, album bonus tracks, online-only exclusive tracks, leaked songs, and other non-album tracks that don't appear on a single don't count as b-sides (and for clarification purposes, a non-album a-side is a song that is actually a single, not the bonus b-side, that is not on an album but used for radio play/promotion and is the main track on the single's release; 11 O'clock Tick Tock and HMTMKMKM are good examples of this).

Zootlesque said:

As I understand it, B-sides are songs that are not included on the album but on the B-side of a single. The term comes from the days of when a record/cassette had 2 sides. Of course it doesn't really make sense in the CD era.

Leaked tracks are I guess simply songs that are released knowingly or unknowingly to fans.

I know Mercy is widely considered a B-side on the internet but it's clearly not true.

OK that's where I was getting confused. I knew what b-sides were in theroy. (the whole other side of a record/cassette thing)

But like you said it's kinda hard to classifly what with CD's and internet downloads.

But I think I understand now.

Sorry for messing up the thread. :reject:

A couple things: Okay, Fast Cars was a song that wasn't an additional track on a single, but it's not an album track either. It's not going to appear on an official release in the future because of its placement as a bonus track on HTDAAB. Now the denotation of "b-side" is something of an antiquated definition, especially in the era of the compact disc. The connotation, however, to most people, is going to be a non-album track that is not part of a soundtrack. To me, that means all the stuff released with the U2 Digital Boxed set under the "Rare and Unreleased" heading are theoretically b-sides. That includes Flower Child, Levitate, etc.

Mercy is excluded from all of this because U2 never released it through any legitimate channel, and because it may appear in some form on the next album.

As for my choice of favorite b-side, I'd like comment on Spanish Eyes for a moment. I got the CD single way back when and always loved this song. It's very catchy, it's upbeat, Bono seems to be having fun, etc. Unfortunately, it does sound a bit slight when I hear it. It's not particularly deep lyrically, and it just doesn't have the musical depth of most of what's on The Joshua Tree. Now I know many will say the same things about Trip Through Your Wires, but that fits in a whole lot better with the album's themes, imagery, and sonic setting than Spanish Eyes does. To me the latter would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

You can apply all those things to The Sweetest Thing as well.

My choice is North and South of the River, because it is as musically and lyrically strong as anything found on POP. It also seems to come from not only the same thematic place as what's on the album, but the instrumentation also seems brewed from the same stew. It packs an emotional wallop found on few b-sides.

My second choice would be I'm Not Your Baby, which isn't overwhelmingly powerful, but it's an extremely cool tune, especially the Skysplitter Dub found on the Please soundtrack (that intro with those electronic bird cry sounds just floors me). It's nice to hear Bono duet with one of modern rock's strongest voices. Plus, the drums, man, the drums! Also, I think the lyrics are yet another example of how diverse Bono was in the 90's, and how trite he's become in the new millenium by contrast:

"Cut out the poetry
Let’s hit the main artery
No time for a tourniquet
Let the colors all run out of me"

and

"Daylight’s a kind of robbery
The night is your geography
So you’re not white, you’re pink and rosy
You could be right, but you’re way above me"

Where'd that guy go?

Last edited:
lazarus said:

"Cut out the poetry
Let’s hit the main artery
No time for a tourniquet
Let the colors all run out of me"

Where'd that guy go?

I love that song. Incredibly underrated. That's like the real trip-hoppy U2. Could've been on POP and would've sat well I believe.

Anyway, that one stanza there is fucking killer! It's totally jolting.

Bono can still come up with shit like that. But then it gets put thru the filter. The Larry filter.

nightninja56 said:

but that's always been there, right? why is it different now?

Because now it sucks.

IN MY OOOOOOO-PINION! just had to say that before someone else could.

............but my opinion is the greatest one

lazarus said:

"Cut out the poetry
Let’s hit the main artery"

Where'd that guy go?

Does anyone else find this ironic?

Many post 00 haters rag on Bono's lyrics. But I think this is what he's been trying to do. Write very straight forward lyrics.

*Now I'm not saying that I actually think he's pulling that off, but I do enjoy the irony.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Does anyone else find this ironic?

Many post 00 haters rag on Bono's lyrics. But I think this is what he's been trying to do. Write very straight forward lyrics.

*Now I'm not saying that I actually think he's pulling that off, but I do enjoy the irony.

it's kinda ironic. Yet I think those lyrics were meant to be within the context of that song, not an actual mission statement coming from Bono announcing "i will be writing straightforward lyrics in the future." Anyway, while he's saying let's cut thru the bullshit in those couple lines, they are written poetically, which is another iorny. He's not saying "let's cut out the poetry and just talk about the main problem" he's saying "let's hit the main artery" which is a much more imaginitive, violent, and poetic way of getting his point across.

nightninja56 said:

but that's always been there, right? why is it different now?

It was always there, yes, but the difference is that the Larry Filter is set to Hurricane Force these days.

ozeeko said:

But then it gets put thru the filter. The Larry filter.

Oh yeah, Larry censors Bono on the lyrics. Good one.

North and south of the river.

Walk To The Water. It doesn't sound like anything else they have ever done. It might have Adam's best bass work. The drums are great. Edge's guitar has never made sounds as beautiful as the ones in this songs. And Bono's vocals are amazing. It is a real shame this song never made it into the live set.

Some of the best lyrics too.
"He said he was an artist
But he really painted billboards."

"I'm looking through your window
I'm walking through your doorway
I'm on the outside
Let me in."

Back
Top Bottom