Fast Cars in heavy rotation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultraviolet353

War Child
I live in L.A. Despite the Vertigo/INDIE 103.1 debaucle, it is by far the best radio I have ever listened to (with the exception of Rollins' show). Every big alt band of 2004 was played first by INDIE. Anyway, what is great about INDIE is that they play album tracks, not just singles. "Fast Cars" has been in heavy rotation foir the last week--it is played as much as ABOY. In addition, some off my friends who think U2 has mellowed to much, have approached me saying they have heard "Fast Cars" on the radio and that they think it's the best song on the album (my response is, "wait til you hear "Xanax + Wine"). This has cemented my belief that "Fast Cars" should have been included on the CD proper. Let me also say that I love HTDAAB--it has grown on me more than any U2 record ever. My two crticisms of the album are thus: 1.) It is the least cohesive album they have ever made. The songs (as a whole) do not fit together as well as previous albums. I attribute this to the lack of a producer from start to finish. 2.) It does not take enough chances. This plays into the whole "Fast Cars" omission. "Fast Cars" is the kind of song that one says to oneself, "WOW, is this U2...cool." This song should be on the album.

I own the Collector's edition, but it is not the same as being "on" the album.

Actually, it reminds me quite a bit of Red Hot Chili Peppers. sorry, I'm listening to it whilst posting.

In regard to the Rollins show on 103.1, has anyone heard him trashing the band on-air? I'm assuming someone on here can stomach listening to the jackass for a few hours. I can't imagine him not taking the opportunity to bash U2 with open airwaves at his disposal. He never seems to pass up the chance.

Also, I'm not familiar with the "Vertigo debacle". Does this have something to do with K-Rock wanting to be the first station to play it? I would think that says more about how lame K-Rock is now than anything on Indie's part.

laz

No, the "debaucle" I was referring to was the fact that INDIE claimed they would play Vertigo before the official release date--they promo'd it all day, and then never played it...they since sent out a newsletter apologizing, and stating that they claim that Interscope did promise them the record before the official relase date...anyway, water inder the bridge, but many people were pissed that day, especially on this board.

Last edited:
i'm with you when you say that Fast Cars should have been on the regular edition...i'll go further and say that Fast Cars could have been also a single.

I don't think Fast cars belongs on the album, I wouldn't trade any of the album songs for it.

As long as Mercy appears as a B-side, I will be happy.

U2girl said:
I don't think Fast cars belongs on the album, I wouldn't trade any of the album songs for it.
Who says you'd have to? The album is only 52:45 even with "Fast Cars."

50 minutes is about average. If anything, it's too short as it stands. 12 tracks is hardly overlong.

Plus, it has the "dismantle an atomic bomb" line.

Last edited:
U2 albums don't need 12 songs.

Achtung Baby could have done without Zoo station and POP could do without Miami.

U2girl said:
U2 albums don't need 12 songs.

Achtung Baby could have done without Zoo station and POP could do without Miami.

I strongly disagree. They just wouldn't be the same. AB needs an opener like Zoo station, and Miami is a great track. I would trade FC for few songs on A-Bomb. This experimantal track would substitute just fine tracks like Crumbs, Yahweh or A Man And A Woman. Now, I don't say these tracks are no good (to me they almost are), but they're too much the same. Same vocals, 'same' guitar sound, nothing really original... I conclude that FC would, maybe just a little, save the album for me.

I like the way HTDAAB flows. :yes: In fact, I think the L&PorE, CoBL and ABoY triad is my favorite of all time (yes, even surpassing the first three on JT! :ohmy: ).

However, I concur FC should've been on HTDAAB. But, in my mind, it is as I only play the CD that has it (or play it on my iPod).

In contrast, I do NOT consider "Ground Beneath Her Feet" as part of ATYCLB as that was released previously. Clearly that's an add-on. However, I do feel "The Fly" is part of the 90's "Best Of" - and again, I only listen to the CD's (MP3's) that have it. It's really the song that launched the 90's - so it has to be there.

But I digress. I'm just happy to see FC getting air time. It deserves it. :yes: This is reminiscent of AB when non-singles were getting a lot of air time. If we start seeing non-singles charting (on the Modern Rock charts, for example) we'll know for sure HTDAAB has hit it super big.

Last edited:
TheFlyOnTheWall said:

now Miami, on the other hand, is a great rocker, maybe a little experimantal, too. I love it! :wink:

My wife always puts Miami on repeat cause she knows I hate it so much. We are both big U2 fans so we often have the albums on shuffle and she will sneak over and put that one on repeat and I usually don't catch it until the 5th time when I want to hurt someone cause Bono is yelling, "MY MAMI"!

What in the HELL does that even mean?????:wink: :wink:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I agree about the lack of cohesiveness, fair enough, but the "experimentation" bit has been overdone in this forum. Let the boys be the "boys".

Of course, the "boys" are not the "boys" if they get a little unconventional, right?

Zoo station is by far the weakest song on the album, would be a nice B-side instead.
As we've seen from the second Best of, Even better than the real thing would be a great AB opener.

U2girl said:
Zoo station is by far the weakest song on the album, would be a nice B-side instead.
As we've seen from the second Best of, Even better than the real thing would be a great AB opener.

Oh, c'mon... Zoo Station is a perfect opener, with that intro and all. It's way better than Vertigo, for example. And EBTTRT is where it should be.
I would rather put Ultraviolet as a B-side if i have to... Or TTTYAATW!

U2Girl, you find one person on this forum that agrees with you about the omission of Zoo Station, and I'll clean yor house for free. You are CLEARLY in the minority here.

I agree that Zoo Station is essential to the feel of AB, its whole sound and lyric set the tone for the album marvellously!

Smoking crack makes one think that Zoo Station doesn't belong on AB as the opener...

Back on topic: FC is so mad kool that, it does seem out of place on the album.

As soon as I saw INDIE 103.1 in the first post, I had to react...the station can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned. They jerked around with fans and listeners around the world who waited that night in September to get a crack at Vertigo. Whether it was the station's fault or not, they were complete a$$holes and really should've put a censor on Rollins. I was personally emailed several times by Rollins himself and he continued to degrade me, a person he does not know or ever met. What kind of station supports people like that?- sh!tty desparate stations who need the ratings by insulting strangers that gave their station a chance. I could really care less how much INDIE USES U2 in order to gain ratings. What hyporcrites. INDIE 103 blows. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom