Fast Cars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozeeko

Refugee
This may come as shock, but I just heard the entire song for the first time. My only thought is.."what the hell were they smoking leaving this off the album?" It's got that perfect marriage of song and sound. Sonically, in my opinion of course, it's far more intriguing, daring and exciting than any song on the album. That accoustic strumming up front with the sounds of paranoia echoing behind it, and Bono sounding like he's running for his life. Not to mention that gorgeous harmonizing during the middle 8. I think this song, with Native Son, Mercy, Are You Gonna Wait Forever...and imagine if Electrical Storm was held until the album, along with a couple Dismantle keepers (i would keep Love and Peace or else, Crumbs...All Because of You-but I would say rewrite the chorus)...U2 really had an interesting album on their hands. Damn you Larry Mullen, Jr.

Exactly! An exciting song for once. Needs to be released. :wink:

it is released!.....on the limited edition cd/dvd package that comes with the book! lol.
anyways, yeah, i agree, i realllly like this song.

limited my balls, it should've been released worldwide on every edition...a man and a woman could've been included with the book. I made a 3 song CD before: Native Son, Fast Cars and Electrical Storm. Those three songs really go into each other nicely. Something to think about and try.

Re: Re: Fast Cars

MrBrau1 said:

And it sounds ALOT like "Canary in a Coal Mine."

Wow. Now that you mention it, it does sound insanely similar. (We're talking The Police, right? LOL).

Last edited:
Sorry tuwie - I meant released as a single/something other than 'limited release'. :wink:

Great song. My favorite song on HTDAAB, and I was lucky enough to see it live twice on the Vertigo Tour. Fast Cars should have been included in the regular U.S. release, IMO.

I own both the regular U.S. CD and the deluxe CD. And I have an mp3 of Xanax and Wine, which is musically similar to Fast Cars, but has slight lyrical changes to it.

I still havent heard the full song :(... I have only got part of it online and i can't find a full version... any help would be greatly appreciated :(:(

Sting said:

Thank you so much! This is definately a good tune - the version I had only had the verse and "all I want is to get to you" repeating over and over and over agaiN! I was missing out on so much.

Alot of people say they want U2 to go in this direction... I would be interested but I think it would be hard to write alot of songs in the vein of this one! But if one band could do it, it would be U2... or The Police... or the Beatles... or the Doors... but thats it! And U2 are the only ones still together!

It's a nice song but would feel totally out of place on Bomb both sonically and lyrically - what they should have done is leave it, with Mercy, for the next album. (to me, both is U2 borrowing from their 90s self)
BTW, be sure to resent the damned Adam Clayton as well.

U2girl said:
It's a nice song but would feel totally out of place on Bomb both sonically and lyrically - what they should have done is leave it, with Mercy, for the next album.

I've got the UK CD edition and I agree. It does sound out of place just jammed on the end like that (just like TGBHF did on ATYCLB).

I actually used to hate Fast Cars with a passion but, whilst I still don't exactly love it, I've grown to like it a lot. Especially after the fantastic bridge of "Don't worry about your mind" :drool: ...from that point onwards I love the song, it's the opening verses that I'm not so keen on.

They should play Fast Cars at the Grammies!!!!

And Origional of the Species with Mary J Blige, since they are already shceduled to duet with her!!!

Back
Top Bottom